Unblocking a floyd rose

xzyryabx

I had my luthier block a floyd rose for me previously and I now want to unblock it and install a tremolo-no (thanks mel!!) instead.
What he did was "half" block it by gluing a small 2x2 cm block of wood to the end of the cavity closet to the claw (so now it only dips and can't be raised).
I don't know anything about the type of adhesive he used, but I'm guessing it might be some type of tite-bond wood glue.

What is the best way to go about removing it?
I was thinking of getting a flat-head screwdriver and hammer and trying to brute force that sucker off, but I wanted to double-check with RT as I'm worried about breaking off a chunk of the cavity or doing even worse damage!

Tough question. If the glue is strong enough to hold the string tension, I wouldn't think bashing it would be the best removal method!

Maybe ask the guy who glued it in the first place?

Yeah, don't do that. You are better off using a dremil tool to grind out the offending wood block.

Better yet, take it to your tech and hand him the tremel-no and pay the bill. Tell him you like changing your mind and giving him something to do. This is just my opinion, as my time and gear is way more valuable to me than the few bucks my tech charges.

Great ideas duderz....
Ideally i would take it to him but he's around an hours drive from me; I'll give him a call and see what he suggests
.....there's a music shop down the road and I've used the tech there before and he was ok...depeding on what my original tech says taking it down the road might be my best option.
...on the other hand, I've always wanted and excuse to buy a dremel!!

and on a different note, the new Pink Floyd album is freaking amazing!

ok an update for whoever cares:
just called the tech (Jim Mourradian, one of the nicest guys around, highly recommended...worked on a TON of pro artists guitars back in the day) and he said he probably used super glue, so the flat-head- screwdriver and hammer method I had in mind is what he suggested; should come off in one piece!

Lightly tap it, at first.

He probably used super glue....but just a small drop, because it really only needs to stick to the cavity when you "dive". Otherwise, the spring tension is holding the block against the cavity.

OUTLAW1969":12ybdxvb said:

He probably used super glue....but just a small drop, because it really only needs to stick to the cavity when you "dive". Otherwise, the spring tension is holding the block against the cavity.

THIS +1

232cap":25s17iar said:
OUTLAW1969":25s17iar said:

THIS +1
Thanks.
That's all it took....angled the screwdriver so the momentum would drive a wedge between the edge of the block and the cavity and .... Pop, off it cane in one piece!

xzyryabx":2zpdi6x4 said:
ok an update for whoever cares:
just called the tech (Jim Mourradian, one of the nicest guys around, highly recommended...worked on a TON of pro artists guitars back in the day) and he said he probably used super glue, so the flat-head- screwdriver and hammer method I had in mind is what he suggested; should come off in one piece!
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I know Jim, Jon and JT. Completely awesome people.
If he did use super glue, try using some fingernail polish remover along with the hammer and screwdriver idea.

Back