Updated my Friedman BE100 (Clips inside)

rpurdue

Hey all. I updated my 2013 BE100 to the newer spec with the 3 way structure switch as well as the change to the NFB for a more open sound. I did not update to the latest sozo caps. First off, let me say that Dave and Todd Vucins from Boutique Amp Distribution could not have been easier to deal with. Being that i'm located in Canada I really wanted to get my amp updated but the shipping and customs charges are outrageous and I couldn't justify it. I asked Dave if it was possible to get the parts and he had Todd contact me. I sent Todd a gut shot photo of my BE and he replied back with detailed instructions on how to install the mods based on my photo. He wired up the switch etc so it was extremely easy to install. Was it worth it? IMHO it takes the amp to a different level. I loved my BE before but with the lower gain stuff it kind of thinned out as the gain dropped. Now, with the gain set high, the structure switch takes you from cranked super lead, to more moderate, to more more moderate levels of gain. It also is a fair bit more open post mods. Here are a couple of super quick clips for those that are interested. They were recorded with a 57 on a creamback 75 and a Gibson DG335. These were also recorded at very low volume. The first clip is the BE before the mod and after the mod with same settings. Just to try and capture the difference in the more open sound. Second clip is the same riff on low, medium, then high on the S switch....all on the BE channel.

https://soundcloud.com/ryan-purdue-6472 ... e-and-post

https://soundcloud.com/ryan-purdue-6472 ... switch-lmh

I have a 2016 BE with the S switch, and your second clip captures exactly what the 3 positions of the switch do to the sound. The clips sound great, and congrats on getting the mod done! I use the S switch a lot and can't imagine not having it.

Thomas-Hawk":2vuctloa said:
I have a 2016 BE with the S switch, and your second clip captures exactly what the 3 positions of the switch do to the sound. The clips sound great, and congrats on getting the mod done! I use the S switch a lot and can't imagine not having it.
Thanks guys. Yeah, I really can't imagine not having it. I pretty much never go off of the low gain setting now. It's so sweet, even on the HBE setting. I'm thinking i may mod it to be foot switchable with a stereo jack. That would be cool!

Man thank you so much. Finally someone recorded this update difference. Sure does sound like the blanket was lifted off the BE. I'm 100% sure I'll update my 2014 BE now, THANK YOU.

Adambomb":2h651idd said:
Man thank you so much. Finally someone recorded this update difference. Sure does sound like the blanket was lifted off the BE. I'm 100% sure I'll update my 2014 BE now, THANK YOU.

No prob. I was also looking for some comparisons and found very little online. I was hoping this would help someone else :)

I can't wait to have my BE100 back. I Need it to finish a lot of work pending to be recorded since late Nobember. :(

Thought I'd chime in since I just had this mod done on my 2014 model. I had the gain structure switch installed and the negative feedback mod as well as changing out the original front and back faceplates (to accommodate the new switch and be labeled accurately).

Everyone seems to be pretty clear on the gain structure switch - basically it offers three levels of gain without changing the EQ or volume level of the amp very much. The reason this is so valuable and useable is because you could do a cover gig and flip between "AC/DC" and "Metallica" without having to re-EQ the entire amp. You usually want the least gain possible to achieve what you are going for and this switch allows you to do that.

Now, on to the negative feedback... I hope to clear this up for anyone who is wondering what this does to the tone. The BE100, without this mod, has a crushing amount of low end. It also has a certain lower frequency that is present all the time, that you can't dial out. I thought it was fun to crank the bass up and jam alone because it just crushes. However, in a recording or live situation you need mids, not bass, to cut in the mix. With the new negative feedback setting that crushing amount of bass is gone, replaced by a more "Marshall-ish" tone stack. Don't get me wrong, it still has plenty of low end, it's still modern, but it's not Dual Rectifier levels anymore. I'd also say that it's less smooth and compressed while also being less "stiff". That "KLANG" that was on the notes in the old spec is smoothed out a bit. Lead playing seems to be easier - less fight with the amp.

Final Thoughts: I'd say the new gain structure switch is a no-brainer for anyone owning the amp. As for the negative feedback mod... If you love that crushing low end and maybe are a "bedroom" player then I would not change it OR have it put on a switch or pot so you can dial it in or out. If you are like me and play out and record a lot AND like your tone to be a bit on the raunchier side then I'd get the negative feedback changed for sure. It moves the amp more towards an older Marshall as opposed to a super-modern take with all the low end on the older version.

If anyone has questions feel free to message me.

Well that's awesome and exactly what I was hoping the negative feedback mode did. I've always thought the BE100 had too much bass for me live and even at home. I've just been waiting for the NAMM business to slow down before I sent mine off, already have talked to Dave.

I also feel the "negitive feedback" Mod made a wonderful difference! After recording with my 2015 BE100 stock, the modification is worth it. Along with gain-structure, synergy caps and clean channel conversion to SS100, the amp sounds killer, very versatile!

MantraSky":2tbbojz5 said:
I also feel the "negitive feedback" Mod made a wonderful difference! After recording with my 2015 BE100 stock, the modification is worth it. Along with gain-structure, synergy caps and clean channel conversion to SS100, the amp sounds killer, very versatile!

The best way to do the negative feedback thing would probably be to have it on a switch or something so you could choose - It is a lot of fun to have that much low-end when you are jamming alone or pretending you are in Cannibal Corpse. But, how many freakin' switches can one amp have? haha

Back