Urgant simple theory help needed for my grade 8 exam tomorow

Tawlks

Hey guys.

I've got my Rockschool Grade 8 exam in electric guitar tomorow morning and I need help on two small things in the technical exercises.

I have to play two chord sequences in varying keys, these are.

These need to be pepared in keys G-B (example in G Major)
Am7#5 - D7b5 - D7#5, Gmaj.

These need to be prepared in keys C-E (example in C major)
Dm7#5 - G7b5 - G7#5 - Cmaj

My problem is that these sequences don't start on the tonic, does anyone have a good way of remembering these? I get muddled up when I think about the chord progression under pressure.

Secondly, the music theory questions which cover "Knowledge of the construction of Minor 7b5 and Minor 7#5 arpeggios in G-B" and "Knowledge of the contruction of the modes"

I understand that the chords of a Minor 7b5, for example is the I, b3, b5, 7b, but I'm not too sure what they're really asking me here, or how to apply it to different keys, it would feel as if I'm wasting precious marks by lacking in the theory department.

This exam is a huge deal for me, any help would be greatly appreciated, I would have posted in the Music Theory sub forum but that doesn't get the same traffic as the main forum, so apologies to Brad or any mods in advance.

Tawlks":335nzag9 said:
Hey guys.

I've got my Rockschool Grade 8 exam in electric guitar tomorow morning and I need help on two small things in the technical exercises.

I have to play two chord sequences in varying keys, these are.

My problem is that these sequences don't start on the tonic, does anyone have a good way of remembering these? I get muddled up when I think about the chord progression under pressure.

Secondly, the music theory questions which cover "Knowledge of the construction of Minor 7b5 and Minor 7#5 arpeggios in G-B" and "Knowledge of the contruction of the modes"

I understand that the chords of a Minor 7b5, for example is the I, b3, b5, 7b, but I'm not too sure what they're really asking me here, or how to apply it to different keys, it would feel as if I'm wasting precious marks by lacking in the theory department.

This exam is a huge deal for me, any help would be greatly appreciated, I would have posted in the Music Theory sub forum but that doesn't get the same traffic as the main forum, so apologies to Brad or any mods in advance.
In your two progressions, they end on the tonic so work your way from there.

2nd question looks like they are asking you to be able to build those two chords...just apply the formula to each root note they ask.

also how you build the modes....you have 7 modes built from each tone of the major scale....does that help? I don't want to just give you the answers.

ii-7#5 V(alt)----- I
so in the key of B it would be:
C#mi7#5 - F#7b5 - F#7#5 - Bmaj

ii-7#5 V alt I

so in the key of E:
F#mi7#5 - B7b5 - B7#5 - Emaj

the roman numerals = the formulas
key changes, formulas stay the same

min7b5 = R-b3-b5-b7 = can be used in Locrian because Locrain intervals are:
R-b2-b3-4-b5-b6-b7-8

min7#5 = R-b3-5-b7 = can be used with aeolian (natural minor) because aeolian is:
R-2-b3-4-5-b6-b7-8

My head hurts just reading this :LOL: :LOL:

Good luck on the exam, and good on ya for learning this stuff early; couldn't do it, myself.

Back