Used buying and selling: a question about original packaging

Does the getting the original box and manual matter to you when buying a used item?

• Yes, but only when comparison shopping

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Yes, and I'd pay more for it.

Votes: 8 25.0%
  • No

Votes: 17 53.1%

• Total voters

dirtyfunkg

I'm curious your thoughts on this.

I have my Line 6 Helix with backpack. I have no intention of selling it any time soon, but I do imaging that at some point in the future, I will want to upgrade to the new state-of-the-art product and, in turn, will sell the Helix at whatever its used market value is at that time.

I've held on to the Helix box to be available when it's time to sell, but my wife is like, "It's just wasting space, you should recycle it!"

I'm trying to figure out if it's even worth it to hold on to the box, or is it really just wasting space with no future value?

SO, for hypothetical argument's sake...

Say someone were selling an Axe FX II (Mark I). Would it matter to you if it came with its original box and manual? Would you pay more for it? Or otherwise, if there were multiple AFXII Mk1's on the market in similar condition at the same price, would the original box and manual win sway you to choose that one?

Assume that the items that do not come with original box/manual are still packed and shipped securely.

Yes. All else being equal, I'd rather have the one that had all of the original packaging materials over one that didn't.

mhenson42":276hs3yc said:
Yes. All else being equal, I'd rather have the one that had all of the original packaging materials over one that didn't.

This but depending on the item. If I buy a pedal and it comes in the original box, then that is cool. If not, I probably wouldn't care all that much. I like having the original box for an amp however. Makes shipping easier for me if I have to send it somewhere.

When I buy something new I tend to keep the boxes stored away somewhere for later use.

I keep boxes, and I do value used products with the original packaging. No box isn't a dealbreaker, but you'll usually get a little more for the box and paperwork.

Kinda like getting a guitar... The origional case and candy will grease the wheels A LOT quicker than no case or a gig bag.

BeZo":22pscaov said:
I keep boxes, and I do value used products with the original packaging. No box isn't a dealbreaker, but you'll usually get a little more for the box and paperwork.

Kinda like getting a guitar... The origional case and candy will grease the wheels A LOT quicker than no case or a gig bag.

A guitar case is different, it's useful throughout the lifetime of the guitar as it's used. It's not like you're going to carry around an Axe-Fx or a Helix in the original box. Probably.

In general I will favor buying something with the original box all else being equal, but it's not something I'll necessarily pay extra for.

I rarely buy something overly exotic so it doesn't have a huge impact for me. But if I had a high ticket rare item I would like to have the box.

If I'm looking at multiple of the same item and one has the box it tells me the seller holds onto that kind of stuff and is likely to take better care of his gear. Its not always true but its a good thing to look for. Generally something that comes to me with all the original packaging is probably going to be in better shape than something that just comes wrapped in bubble wrap in a box. Its more about what having that original packaging says about the seller than the packaging itself.

But also this is only relevant for items that come in branded packaging. I never save a giant cardboard box that an amp head comes in because I can always get another box down the road and Im never going to store an amp head in a giant original shipping box.

Marykelly":1o39ntar said:
If I'm looking at multiple of the same item and one has the box it tells me the seller holds onto that kind of stuff and is likely to take better care of his gear. Its not always true but its a good thing to look for. Generally something that comes to me with all the original packaging is probably going to be in better shape than something that just comes wrapped in bubble wrap in a box. Its more about what having that original packaging says about the seller than the packaging itself.
^ ^ ^ this.

And especially with vintage, more collectible pedals, having the box and manual adds value.

It’s nice to have around, especially for shipping. As far as paying more...eh...not really.

Most of the stuff I have sold here has had the original box/packaging. 2 of the amps that I purchased here did not have the original boxes and it did not bother me nor, were there any issues because the sellers were honest and outstanding.

It's nice to have all original packaging and such (For shipping purposes) but..Never a deal breaker when I'm shopping for something used. I save boxes if they are still in good shape but if not they get tossed.

Depends on the item. If it's an amp or something, so long as it shows up safe - no sweat.
If it's a Custom Shop or Historic Les Paul, then I need everything original.

I've bought and sold a lot of guitars, often some manufacturers boxes are shittier than others and I give the buyer the choice as to what box they want - the original thin cardboard, or a beefier "different brand" box with custom fitted foam. Usually they opt for the safer option. But seems when it comes to Gibson Lesters, the original shipping box is key to many prospective purchasers.

I can see the manual being an asset if I were looking for an Axe, but as far as used amps or guitars, I couldn't care less about the original box...the manual could be useful, but doesn't add any additional monetary value for me. You can download manuals for most things on the manufacturers website.

I voted no because i personally couldn't care less. But I always try to keep the original stuff for later sales because some people do care.

I have my basement cluttered with original empty boxes for things in case I ever decided to sell.

Back