Using Captor X Headphones jack as LINE OUT to another amp.

V-man

First, why? Unlike more expensive units like the Boss TAE, the Captor X has neither a dedicated line out, nor a FX Loop. However, it seems one could take the full-driven amp running its signal through the Captor X and use the headphones jack as a line out.

Example 1: Guitar > Marshall JMP 1959 (fully driven) > Captor X > Delay Pedal (via Captor X Headphones input) > Marshall JCM 800 (Lo Sensitivity input, set clean).

The result of this setup is the Marshall JMP 1959 can be fully driven with time-based effects (safely engaged via line level output) after the amp’s signal as a crude FX loop.

Example 2: Guitar > Mesa Mk IIC+ > Captor X > Marshall JCM 800 (Via Captor X Headphones input to Lo Sensitivity input set clean)

The result is a primitive amp slave. Unlike the modified JCM 800 Metallica used, the JCM 800 preamp would NOT be bypassed in this example, but the opportunity exists to experiment with combined amplifier signals with FX pedals placed between them.

Issues: I tried this briefly (example 1) and it obviously works. As such, I do not see any equipment hazard issues while used in this manner (correct me if I am wrong). The problem is that the Cab IRs are added to the signal, so I can turn the dial to say, Preset1 and the signal is colored by the “Celestion Greenback“ IR, or to Preset 2 and the signal is colored by the “Celestion Vintage 30” IR. I would need a “Dry Signal” IR to remove Speaker IR coloration from the Captor to Amp 2. what would I be able to use for this application?

@Jason Wilding
@Dilan - Two notes

Hi V-man,

I do not see any equipment hazard issues while used in this manner
An headphones output is not designed to be plugged to a line input, or even worse a high impedance input (like on a guitar pedal). You could also short circuit the two outputs of the headphones out (it is stereo) by plugging into a mono TS 1/4" input, not a great idea either. I would strongly advise not to do it.
the Captor X has neither a dedicated line out

I'm not sure I understand this one: the XLR outputs can drive a line input, no issue. :)

Hi V-man,

An headphones output is not designed to be plugged to a line input, or even worse a high impedance input (like on a guitar pedal). You could also short circuit the two outputs of the headphones out (it is stereo) by plugging into a mono TS 1/4" input, not a great idea either. I would strongly advise not to do it.

I'm not sure I understand this one: the XLR outputs can drive a line input, no issue. :)
I appreciate the prompt response, but 2 issues remain in your response:

1. The XLR Outs may indeed be line level but they are not compatible with anything requiring a 1/4” mono jack, such as a pedal or amplifier input without an adapter/adapter cable. Is there a specific unit needed to safely convert Captor X via XLR to Pedal(s) or Amp via 1/4” instrument cable?

2. One thing I was curious about was how to run the dry signal of the Amp through the Captor X (with no speaker sim IR). Is there a way to set one of the 6 Captor X Presets with “No IR,” or is there a completely transparent “no cab” IR to pass the dry amp signal through the Captor X?

Hello @V-man
1. the XLR outputs can be used with an XLR to TRS jack to connect to pedals that have TRS jack inputs, or to line inputs of audio interfaces. You can use an XLR to TS cable to connect to a regular guitar pedal, however this setup might induce noise to your signal. The best is to use a DI box between the XLR outputs and the pedal so as to keep a good signal to noise ratio.
2. You can send the dry amp signal through the CAptor X from the right XLR output, by putting the unit in DUAL MONO mode, and activate the BYPASS on the right channel. This will allow you to send a dry amp signal to an audio interface, a mixing desk.

Hello @V-man
1. the XLR outputs can be used with an XLR to TRS jack to connect to pedals that have TRS jack inputs, or to line inputs of audio interfaces. You can use an XLR to TS cable to connect to a regular guitar pedal, however this setup might induce noise to your signal. The best is to use a DI box between the XLR outputs and the pedal so as to keep a good signal to noise ratio.
2. You can send the dry amp signal through the CAptor X from the right XLR output, by putting the unit in DUAL MONO mode, and activate the BYPASS on the right channel. This will allow you to send a dry amp signal to an audio interface, a mixing desk.
Thank you!

Back