V30 in a Shiva 1X12 combo?

fishyfishfish

Sup! I got a Shiva 1x12 combo, and was wondering if anyone has swapped out the stock speaker (Lead 80 I think?) with a V30.
Any better? Any worse?
Way short on hours at work (Like none) to get a Scumback, and just thought I would get some opinions before swapping.
I also have a Vet. 30 and a ET65 laying around as well, just though I would get some opinions before going crazy.

I have a Shiva, and a Shiva closed back ported 112 cab (which is close enough to your closed back combo).

I did NOT like the CL80 at all. Kinda bright, honky, and not smooth.

I tried out a Scumback M75100W, and while it DID sound really good, it was sure on the dark side. Very smooth and rich, but not a lot of aggression on the top end. Had a bit of a flexy, giving feel to it. Not super tight in that situation.

Finally settled on a Eminence Governor, and it sounds perfect in that cab. Really crunchy, good brightness but not harsh, big tight bottom.

Once AGAIN I recommend....

Celestion Alnico Gold 50W

Just do it, and tell us how you feel once it's said and done.

V. :thumbsup:

I have a EL34 Shiva with the 1x12 Shiva cab. I ordered it with a V-30, and was never happy with the tone. It was kinda Brittle compared to my 4x12 with V-30's. I was on the verge of selling the 1x12, but before i did, i bought the Classic 80. That was 2 years ago, and I still have the cab, and am quite happy with its tone now.

hope that helps, but IMO, the classic 80 is the "right" speaker in the 1x12 for the Shiva.

Bob

Thanks for the replies!
I though I would share what I tried out:
V30- Vintage sounding, middle of the road rock-n-roll tone.Think Bryan Adams to Band of Gypsies. Sounds great with telecaster and strat, Les Paul sounds thick and meaty. Boosted (Sd1 and BB Preamp) sounds like the real deal 80's Hair Metal, Not very aggressive on the high end.
WGS Veteran 30- I like this speaker, but..... lacks the mid range hump that I love to hate from the V30. Lots of crisp high end, maybe the speaker needs some more break in. Same bass response as V30. Balanced cleans, very decent dirties, def needs some time.
WGS ET65- Dry, tight and little soul. lots of top end and bass, great on clean channel, dirty channel sounds passable until I hit it with a booster. Reminds me of Mesa Black Shadow in my 1x12. Needs open back or a mix to open up and get some air moving.
Mesa Black Shadow (C-90). Great with Mesa 1x12, sounds close to EV with less high end. Also very close to ET65, with the 65 having more high-fi sound. I guess if you are going for the Roben Tone this or the ET.
Mesa Boogie EV12. Sounds very transparent. Good and Bad. Needs a lot (Lot) of volume to get cookin'. Lots of high end, almost to a fault. Bass was redonkulous. Tight up to max volume, never even winced. Highs were kind of transistor-y sounding. Mark III lets me dial this out with the EQ, Shiva-no way.
Really want to try the H75, got to wait for the cash.
Peace...

Back