Van Halen - Atomic Punk - Isolated Guitar Track

On that intro that he does and throughout, it sounds like the same tone he got with the intro to the beat it solo. Someone (can’t remember who on the RT) referred to it as a chainsaw revving… I think is what they called it. Great tone.
To the question above; Wonder if he actively changed his tone when Dave left ? Clearly his sounds were different in OG VH but new VH had that funny micro pitch sound. I like them both. He definitely continued to change throughout. My fav is early.
Atomic punk would be bad ass to play out.. 90% of people would look at you after the song like wtf is that shit? 10% of the rest would be loving it like you were a crack pipe to smoke

On that intro that he does and throughout, it sounds like the same tone he got with the intro to the beat it solo. Someone (can’t remember who on the RT) referred to it as a chainsaw revving… I think is what they called it. Great tone.
To the question above; Wonder if he actively changed his tone when Dave left ? Clearly his sounds were different in OG VH but new VH had that funny micro pitch sound. I like them both. He definitely continued to change throughout. My fav is early.
Seems to me, guitarists' preference on Ed's various tones depend entirely on where in the EVH timeline they discovered Van Halen.

1st album tone is my "go to" EVH tone.

Once he got into the eventide I liked it less and less. Stellar playing throughout his career, but the early tone was best.

Last edited:
He seemed to have a bit more of an edgy swing to his style in the earlier days. Example Beautiful Girls.

After DLR his style was little more pop oriented.

Back