Variac Uses

Can you use a variac to compensate for wonky electricity in live situations?
Like in case you're playing at a place where you're not getting enough juice to the amp?
I'm sure there are better solutions but I do have one and thought I could put it to use.

If it's wonky and all over the place(up and down) you need to first regulate the voltage then you may want to use your variac to set the voltage to your needs. Even a regulator will fluctuate though if you're on the edge of the switching points. At least the Furman's do. So it's best to monitor the voltage as well and adjust the variac accordingly.

But if it's steady, either high or low, then yeah you could straighten it out with your variac.

lester":1phu4rlz said:
If it's wonky and all over the place(up and down) you need to first regulate the voltage then you may want to use your variac to set the voltage to your needs. Even a regulator will fluctuate though if you're on the edge of the switching points. At least the Furman's do. So it's best to monitor the voltage as well and adjust the variac accordingly.

But if it's steady, either high or low, then yeah you could straighten it out with your variac.

Ok, thanks. I know the big shows use regulators and such, some crazy stuff going on there, just wondering about small clubs with crappy wiring etc.

-define-"wonky"?

-a variac can decrease & increase-(mine will raise line voltage to 140v max)-but it cant fix dirty power, or any kind of interference-(rheo-stat,neon lights,flouresent lights, etc.)-your furman cant fix any of these things, its a "spike detector/protector"

sg guy":3sgqosj1 said:
jsp":3sgqosj1 said:
Yeah, the only way to guarantee a constant voltage is with a voltage regulator.

-that's basically what a variac is, a fancy voltage regulator.

No, a voltage regulator is fancy variac. A variac is just a variable voltage stepper/transformer. It doesn't necessarily self-correct for fluctuations.

sg guy":36uvunl7 said:
-define-"wonky"?

-a variac can decrease & increase-(mine will raise line voltage to 140v max)-but it cant fix dirty power, or any kind of interference-(rheo-stat,neon lights,flouresent lights, etc.)-your furman cant fix any of these things, its a "spike detector/protector"

At one place the sound coming from the amp would fade to zero then come right back up. It did it about 3x. Then at another place the gain just sounded too dirty like the tubes were dying but sounded fine the next day and ever since. Had the tubes and amp checked out, probably wasted some money but at least I eliminated the amp.

jsp":sgj4vr6v said:
sg guy":sgj4vr6v said:
jsp":sgj4vr6v said:
Yeah, the only way to guarantee a constant voltage is with a voltage regulator.

-that's basically what a variac is, a fancy voltage regulator.

No, a voltage regulator is fancy variac. A variac is just a variable voltage stepper/transformer. It doesn't necessarily self-correct for fluctuations.

Yeah it might not help if it doesn't self-correct. Good point.

TheWhiteShadow":3hdc15s3 said:
sg guy":3hdc15s3 said:
-define-"wonky"?

At one place the sound coming from the amp would fade to zero then come right back up. It did it about 3x. Then at another place the gain just sounded too dirty like the tubes were dying but sounded fine the next day and ever since. Had the tubes and amp checked out, probably wasted some money but at least I eliminated the amp.

-hmm.mmm.. That's odd, did you notice a difference in volume-(where you usually set the volume at 5, but at some of those venues your volume nob was set differently for the same perceived level of volume?)-your amps volume will corresponde to the voltage, low voltage your amp will be lower in volume, high voltage and your amp will be louder, but it will need more than 3/4 volts +/- for you to notice this,

-if I was you I would start taking voltage readings when you hear different things coming from hour amp. Your example of " at one place the volume would fade to zero then come back up" that's a classic symptom of very low voltage, like in the 70 volt area of low,.you would notice your on/off rocker lights fade as well, it almost sounds like bad filter cap's...

Back