VH-2 Settings and Tubes

skelt101

Hi folks,
I’m a new Diezel owner, having just purchased a VH-2! I love it so far! I’m having a great time blending it with my other amps (Mesa/Boogie MkIII and Marshall Silver Jubilee). Where I’m struggling (a little) is getting tones in isolation. Specifically, there is a bit of “congestion” in the lower mids. I’ve read about using a TAD 7025 in V1, as well as 6L6 in the power section, and am hoping to stay “all amp” as much as possible. Does anyone have experience with rolling tubes in the VH-2? BTW, my cabinet is a Mesa 4x12 Traditional. Thanks in advance for any settings and/or advice! Here is a picture of my current settings:
5E0F0A3D-23E3-4116-BF87-AE3F9CAA4A17.jpeg

not sure what you mean by congestion.

I'm no amp expert but I do have a VH-2. Mine came stock with 6L6. They sound great but no comparison to KT77 since mine came with 6L6.

one thing worth looking at is you got a lot of master volume and limited channel. Try running the master more like 9am and the channel volume to whatever decibel level you want.

Also You got a lot of things maxed. I tend to run most things around 1pm. Start and adjust from there.

Also check the settings on diezels demo video if you likes the sound on that.

one thing worth looking at is you got a lot of master volume and limited channel. Try running the master more like 9am and the channel volume to whatever decibel level you want.
could not agree more, master not below 9-9:30, rather lower Channel Volume in that case, afterwards it is a fine tuning between master and Channel Volume, where I personally prefer to have channel if possible between 12-1 p.m. and if your ears can still handle it starting from there to turn master higher than 9-9:30...

best experience in the combination of master 10:30 and channel at 1 p.m.... but people in close distance may hate you...

From a look at your pictures (and always matter of taste) as long as VH2 is built similar to VH4 you do not need this high amount of master, I think the VH4 is max already at 12, afterwards starts getting into Power amp Saturation, so 10 is more than enough

perhaps this helps:

Master 10, Channel Volume as up as you can do, I think your presence is pretty high, especially in combination with Treble, like you maxed the mids, the mids are great on the Diezel amps however I would run it lower but still above 1 p.m. Me personally would lower the Lows as Diezel already provide a lot of deep end anyhow

Again, matter of taste

Last edited:
Thanks so much for the suggestions, guys! What I meant by "congestion" @Anxiety Serum is a lack of clarity in, what I consider, the lower mids. Adjusting the Master Volume to about 9:00 and adjusting the Channel Volume to taste, which happens to also be around 9:00, seemed to help with respect to the EQ. However, I preferred the feel of the amp with the Master Volume at 12:00 (seemed less compressed). I do have some new tubes on the way (TAD 7025 for V1 and TAD Redbase 6L6GCM for the Power Amp) that I plan to try this weekend. (BTW, I'm coming from TAD Redbase EL34s...) Quick question about the 6L6s, should they be considered 25 or 30 watts when biasing? Thanks again for the help!

Quick question about the 6L6s, should they be considered 25 or 30 watts when biasing? Thanks again for the help!
Don't know anything about biasing so maybe someone else can help. So yours came with EL 34s stock?

Let us know what you think of the 6L6s. My are Redbase as well.

Thanks so much for the suggestions, guys! What I meant by "congestion" @Anxiety Serum is a lack of clarity in, what I consider, the lower mids. Adjusting the Master Volume to about 9:00 and adjusting the Channel Volume to taste, which happens to also be around 9:00, seemed to help with respect to the EQ. However, I preferred the feel of the amp with the Master Volume at 12:00 (seemed less compressed). I do have some new tubes on the way (TAD 7025 for V1 and TAD Redbase 6L6GCM for the Power Amp) that I plan to try this weekend. (BTW, I'm coming from TAD Redbase EL34s...) Quick question about the 6L6s, should they be considered 25 or 30 watts when biasing? Thanks again for the help!
my Tube Bias Calculator lists 6L6GC tubes as 30 watts

Back