VH4 Cab: FL or RL?

Jimty

Sorry all - I stuck this on the main forum earlier and realised I should have posted it in here. Thanks to peterc52 for the input so far.

+++++++

I’m planning to get a V30 loaded Diezel cab (probably a 2x12, but a 4x12 is a possibility) to go with my VH4.

Based on what I’ve read online, the popular opinion seems to be that the Front Loaded cabs are better suited for Herberts and the Rear Loaded cabs are better suited to the VH4. Is that still the general view of those who have tried both? I’m waiting to hear back from the guys at Diezel, but was interested to hear your thoughts too. I know that a lot of this will ultimately be down to personal taste, so I’ve read up on the differences between the two types of cab and tried to listen to clips. That said, whilst I’ve heard a few good quality VH4/FL clips there don’t seem to be many out there of the VH4/RL combination.

You'll notice under the cabinets section of diezelamplification they've done a great job of itemizing the characteristics of both FL and RL cabs, along with the G12K and V30 options.

I don't think FL or RL is particularly more or less suited to a specific amp as I do what you want the amp to sound and feel like coming through the cabinet. FL is usually quite pronounced and projected - immediate - percussive - hard hitting - and tight. The RL is a cab that will fill the room a little more - can sound bigger at lower volumes - has more knock to it. Very difficult to explain in words - as again, it's a feel thing. I have both - and they're both amazing sounding cabs - just depends on what you want to hear and the applications you're intending them for.

I use my vh4 with FL with v30s if I use a Diezel cab . But honestly the vh4 pairs best with Marshall cabs for me . Especially the Marshall BV . But the FL is great with it too

using 2x12" RL V30, very happy on both VH4 & VHX, even at lower volume... but I do not have a direct comparison...

For years I have had the RL with V30's with my VH4 and loved it.

BUT once I got a VHX the VHX did not play well with it... too much flub. Then I got a FL with G12's and it is tonal heaven combining the 2 4X12's. Really love the focus on the FL with G12's.

I use a mix of a Mesa 2x12 RL V30s with a 440 Live 2x12 FL G12K100s.
My VH4 and VHX sound AMAZING through this speaker combo

I'm now thinking of getting a 440 Live vertical 2x12 FL with V30 & G12K100s for small gigs.

I'm also building a project 4x12 with V30s and G12K100s in an X-pattern

I use a mix of a Mesa 2x12 RL V30s with a 440 Live 2x12 FL G12K100s.
My VH4 and VHX sound AMAZING through this speaker combo

I'm now thinking of getting a 440 Live vertical 2x12 FL with V30 & G12K100s for small gigs.

I'm also building a project 4x12 with V30s and G12K100s in an X-pattern
My favorite speaker combo too.

I'm on the fence about this too. I love the tones in this Sweetwater vid for the VH4 where they're using a 412 FV cab (front loaded V30s)

I have a Bogner 4x12 with V30s and G12T-75s right now. It's fairly dark at the volumes I play it at and I'm always reaching for the treble and presence knobs. The bass is not an issue. I think I'm going to throw the 2nd pair of V30s back in it and compare.

I use my vh4 with FL with v30s if I use a Diezel cab . But honestly the vh4 pairs best with Marshall cabs for me . Especially the Marshall BV . But the FL is great with it too
I played my VH4 through a stock Marshall 1960A cab (w/ G12T-75s) at practice last night and it sounded excellent. Would you say overall you prefer the Marshall cabs with it?

My thinking is I revert my Bogner cab to all V30s, order a Diezel FL V30 cab and compare and then return/sell whichever one I like the least.

Last edited:
I'm on the fence about this too. I love the tones in this Sweetwater vid for the VH4 where they're using a 412 FV cab (front loaded V30s)

I have a Bogner 4x12 with V30s and G12T-75s right now. It's fairly dark at the volumes I play it at and I'm always reaching for the treble and presence knobs. The bass is not an issue. I think I'm going to throw the 2nd pair of V30s back in it and compare.

I played my VH4 through a stock Marshall 1960A cab (w/ G12T-75s) at practice last night and it sounded excellent. Would you say overall you prefer the Marshall cabs with it?

My thinking is I revert my Bogner cab to all V30s, order a Diezel FL V30 cab and compare and then return/sell whichever one I like the least.

The Marshall cabs are all I use with my diezels at this point . I’m have a Bogner cab too but don’t like it with Diezel . Everyone else s different but for me with Diezel it’s ALWAYS paired with a Marshall cab

The Marshall cabs are all I use with my diezels at this point . I’m have a Bogner cab too but don’t like it with Diezel . Everyone else s different but for me with Diezel it’s ALWAYS paired with a Marshall cab
Ok, good to know. What speakers are in your Marshall cabs?

Back