VHT/Fryette amps - best high gain tones....ever?

Thanks for the introduction to Fryette brand. Its not a brand I've heard of before, so it was really interesting following the links provided to hearing one in the video. I have to say based on what I heard the gain structure is really rich, smooth and articulate. The clean was to my ears a bit glassy, but I could easily colour that with FX. What I want to know, is it single channel? I joined this site yesterday in the hope of finding interesting amps that challenge my thinking on the mainstream boutique amps like Diezel that I own and so far, you haven't let me down. [Thanks]

Thanks for the introduction to Fryette brand. Its not a brand I've heard of before, so it was really interesting following the links provided to hearing one in the video. I have to say based on what I heard the gain structure is really rich, smooth and articulate. The clean was to my ears a bit glassy, but I could easily colour that with FX. What I want to know, is it single channel? I joined this site yesterday in the hope of finding interesting amps that challenge my thinking on the mainstream boutique amps like Diezel that I own and so far, you haven't let me down. [Thanks]
Yes, the Deliverance is single channel. Their other amps aren't (save maybe the Aether? never looked into it). It responds really well to the volume knob on your guitar though so you're able to roll back and get decent cleans while having a nice high gain tone full up.

Yes, the Deliverance is single channel. Their other amps aren't (save maybe the Aether? never looked into it). It responds really well to the volume knob on your guitar though so you're able to roll back and get decent cleans while having a nice high gain tone full up.
That's sounding right up my street, prefer winding back than channel switching - I play a lot of Gary Moore covers, so need that articulate gain, + clean + uni-vibe rythmn.

I don’t find a Wizard MC and UL sound anything alike really. Would love to have another UL, for fusion it was awesome. Pretty interested to see how the new version will be.
You and me both. Even though I have a Wizard MCII 100 and a MC II KT75 that are some of my all time favorites I would still love to get a new Ultralead II but how long are we going to have to wait as it seems to be taking forever!!! I am starting to lose faith that they will ever see the light of day ???

You and me both. Even though I have a Wizard MCII 100 and a MC II KT75 that are some of my all time favorites I would still love to get a new Ultralead II but how long are we going to have to wait as it seems to be taking forever!!! I am starting to lose faith that they will ever see the light of day ???
This is way of Fryette.

Announce something and give a timeline, then go radio silent over the course of said timeline. Five years later, "Hey, remember that thing we said we'd be done with five years ago? Well, here it is!"

This is way of Fryette.

Announce something and give a timeline, then go radio silent over the course of said timeline. Five years later, "Hey, remember that thing we said we'd be done with five years ago? Well, here it is!"
You forgot step 3: launch a kickstarter campaign that may or may not get results.

As a friend puts it, they must be on island time. He mentioned on his show that there was an amp shootout coming up he needed to get them done for…another one of his amps that flew under the radar I liked was the 50ST head. Was a cool amp.

I’d like to put it this way; neither VHT or Wizard have appeared on any albums that ended up as reference level tonal benchmarks that anyone is seeking. Many great amps don’t. That said, I think there are likely vastly more VHTs out there than Wizards yet I’ve come across far more good sounding Wizard clips by average Joes than that of VHT. That says a lot.
Maybe it's that the most players come up short of what the amp is asking of them..

I have both D60 and 120... the 60 is one of my top 3 amps ever. Ive had probably over 50 tube heads during my time and have played several others. At this time I also have an ENGL Smolski, a Fireball 100, a Lickliter 6505+ and a Peavey Ultra. The D60 is unique in that it feels like an extension of the guitar and your hands. Both my heads are the first version, with chokes. It takes overdrives the best of any amp I've had, and is the most reactive and sensitive to tube rolling, you can get many tonal variations from changing even a single preamp tube. It is the only Amp I've kept over 10 years, believe me that is a lot for me!

It's worth mentioning, Ive ever played a wizard, but I don't think any amp should cost over 4000. If you can spend that kind of cash you better be using it in the studio often or a big stage. Since I only play in medium sized bars for a bunch of drunk metalheads, and don't even get compensated most of the times, The Deliverance cannot be beaten. Cost me $700 originally

I cant speak for wizards,I've never played a mtl,only a classic ii and it was very nice.Id love to demo a mtl someday.What I can say of vhts,is Steve serviced my clx after I bought it from a gc and it was severely hacked up inside.The clx came back to me from Steve and it kills.The whole thing is documented on his Instagram and Steve talked about it in a premier guitar column. So,anyways, I love the clx for its ch.versitality and flexibility. It's like it's a bit mesa,marshall and hiwatt.I love it..especially running it into a vht 2100 & 2150..out to 4 4x12 cabs..
.but my firebreather will probably have to be my 180 watt mesa coliseum red stripe...That thing will lay waste to all living organisms within a square mile radius when dimed out.lol

Another “amazing” high gain amp that is so legendary that…… no one has ever used them!

I was the biggest VHT fanboy for a long time
: when I was playing live that is. I used to run a UL and a deliverance in stereo, sometimes my Herbert and the UL In stereo, sometimes the 5150 and UL etc…. I admit, live they were my favorite amps on earth, but my little virgin ears were lying to me.

Recording, I absolutely can’t stand them. That blaring hollow midrange thing they got going on, and then believe it or not, the low end just crumbles and falls apart under a mic: it’s very strange, but to me it doesn’t sound great at all.

They will always be nostalgic to me becsuse in my early years of playing I drove out to cocoa beach to a VHT dealer and bought both of my deliverance cabs there, and I thought I had just found tonal nirvana.

Back