Virgin post - Torpedo CAB M+ recording query

southcoaststeve

Season's greetings, everyone.

This is my first post on the forum so please be gentle with me.

I recently purchased the Torpedo CAB M+ and was hoping to use it for recording purposes.

The DAW I am using is Cakewalk but I am having trouble marrying the two - the CAB M is not showing as an input driver in Cakewalk's Preferences menu.

I was previously using a Vox Amplug I/O which the DAW recognises immediately.

Has anyone else had this issue or are there any other DAWs that you can recommend using with the CAB M?

I'd really appreciate any help. Thanks.

It's not an interface, you have to connect the cab m's out to an interface.
The usb is there to for the editor, so you can dial in sounds on the pc, transfer your own impulse responses, firmware updates, etc.

What Slash57 said plus remember it's not a load box. ? I had the CabM and it's a great unit. Stock IRs sound pretty good. I've also gotten some Celestion IRs I really dig.

Interfaces really depend on the requirements, how many inputs/outputs do you need? Do you need to be able to plug in mics (do you need a xlr input?) What's the budget?
Make sure the interface you buy offers a Asio driver (lower latency)

The Audient id14 seems pretty good, supposed to sound better than the Scarlett 2i2 that a lot of people use, but as said, I don't know how many inputs/outputs you need.
Try to read a lot of reviews/comparisons, I personally don't have experience with either of them. Or buy used and try it out and sell it if it doesn't suit you.

Last edited:
The plan was to plug my guitar directly into the CAB M+ and then into my PC and DAW.

What would be my best solution for this particular scenario?

I'm new to this so am learning as I go along.

What's your signal chain? Guitar directly into the cab m? You need some kind of preamp before the cab m. Do you have any guitar pedals/any amps near the computer?

Ah cool, didn't know it had a preamp integrated.
I'm sure others can chime in with more interface suggestions, the two I mentioned are solid, there's also lots of cheaper ones, don't have much experience with them though (the one I used at the start is outdated, wouldn't recommend that any more)

Just choose one that has a line input and also a hi-z input for your guitar, in case you want to create the whole guitar sound in the daw.
Do you have an amp near the computer?

Last edited:
What kind of sounds are you into?
E.g. a metal example completely in the daw, and free (he is using a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 in this video )

Maybe if you're more into the pedal + clean amp sound then the cab m is fine, but I think it shines more using preamps or an amp with a loadbox.

Yeah I'm more of a clean amp with a touch of overdrive kinda guy. As a stand alone product, the Cab M sounds great and takes pedals really well so if I need to get an interface to go between it and my pc, I'd be looking for something simple, compact and transparent enough to relay the tones of the cab sim into the DAW as accurately as possible.

Back