Voltage regulator for gigs

tubortski

What do you guys use? Looking at the Furman 1800... is there something more compact and not rack mounted? I don't have rack gear.

-I don't like Furman anything, get a quality variac with a built in meter & a power scrubber from/for a server room, go used & both are very affordable & they actually work.

-(nothing fixes dirty power)-

I have a rack mount Tripp Lite unit that works well, and I'm 99% certain they make ones that aren't rack mounted, just a box that sits on the floor with an IEC receptacle on one side and a bunch of outlets, plus a few LEDs to monitor status.

I like my Furman Regulator but it is the rack mount model not sure if they still make it or not. It has worked well for many years and has been reliable, it shows the incoming voltage LED's on the front and is supposed to raise or lower the voltage if it is not within acceptable voltage ranges.

sg guy":1l1dfc09 said:
-I don't like Furman anything, get a quality variac with a built in meter & a power scrubber from/for a server room, go used & both are very affordable & they actually work.

A variac just drops the voltage level - it doesn’t regulate it.

Check out some of the products by ART and APC.

I've got an ART power conditioner with 8 outlets of hum free, isolated power.
I've got an APC (I'll have to get the model number) on the bottom of my rack that supplies the ART.
The APC is an uninterrupted power supply with battery back-up and conditioning within 5% of load demand. It wasn't cheap, but blown tubes add up, and I can't imagine what circuit board damage would do to my rage-meter :aww:

So - I went with redundancy and a 2 tiered system. I can literally unplug the mains and my system stays running for several minutes depending on how much is running off of it. But it gives me enough time to power down in the event of a failure, and it also keeps the voltage/current stable through (the more detrimental) brown outs (low voltage feed for longer than wanted periods of time).

It's doable. But it's an investment :thumbsup:

I have the Furman P1800AR and love it. Even though the specs say it keeps within +/-5V I have seen it stay within more like +/-2.5V. I see between 118-122V always coming out of it no matter what voltage goes in. Nice to have a regulator. My house voltage swings throughout the day. This keeps tube amp tones consistent.

8len8":w8rmcfpo said:
sg guy":w8rmcfpo said:

A variac just drops the voltage level - it doesn’t regulate it.

-a good variac will stabilize incoming power just by the process of running EMF through filtering & the transformer, it will also take 110v into 140v if your so inclined, if your constantly seeing +/- 5 to 10 voltage swings at your venues or house from your Furman recheck & verify it with a good meter, if its so call an electrician, then he'll tell you to call the power company.

another vote for tripp lite.

does voltage regulation as well as conditioning

when i made the switch my rig was noticeably quieter

Thanks for your tips, guys.

The Tripp Lite looks like the winner, especially for the cost.

I'm wondering if it will handle the following at once: 100W tube head, 50W tube head, and 1000W solid state head. ?

Any other experiences with running 3 rigs into 1 unit?

Add up the amperage draw of each amp and compare it to the specs of the unit in question, factor in a safety margin too. If the 3 amps draw, say, 20 amps and the unit is only rated for 10 forget it, but if the unit is 25-30 (or more) then you're probably ok.

I feel so, out of the loop..... ;)

I've plugged my rig into a cheap power strip into a wall outlet for 33 years. Never had a problem.

From trailer parks, to dive bars, to theaters to small stadiums.

Was there noise from some of the outlets? Yup. Nothing anyone but me could hear. Did my amps sound 98% here and there? Yup. Nothing anyone but me could here.

Not saying a regulator is a bad thing. Just sayin'.

Back