Volume Pedal VS. Attenuator

Detroit1973

Would a volume pedal in The effects loop be as good (or better) than an attenuator? I Have a Soldano Avenger 100watt Hod Rod Model & for my space it's really loud when it's on 1 or above. I'd like to tame the Volume a little for when I'm playing at home.

Last edited:
It works, but it's just adding a master volume to your preamp. It's not letting you crank the power amp any more. Usually, people want attenuators so they can get the power tubes cranked up. So yeah your amp will be "quieter" but nothing other than what you could really do with your existing master volume.

My favorite solution for this so far, is running the amp into a reactive load then reamping with a quality solidstate power amp.

Again, if it's just for a little taming (-3dB to -6dB) or so then one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Black-Amp-Box-Converter/dp/B00CIHB8FY
This would be perfect for an amp that's still just a little too loud with the
master volume on as low as it goes. Not to tame a LOUD amp.

Another thing that might help is to check your speaker efficiency. Using a
lower SPL speaker can really help really low level playing.
That box is nothing more than a pot in a box. It’s a hand controllable volume pedal instead of a foot controllable volume pedal.

It works, but it's just adding a master volume to your preamp. It's not letting you crank the power amp any more. Usually, people want attenuators so they can get the power tubes cranked up. So yeah your amp will be "quieter" but nothing other than what you could really do with your existing master volume.
My neighbors hate me when I play so I'm trying to be a good neighbor. Thanks everyone for the great responses.

I'm not sure I understand the volume pedal in the loop concept. How is this different than turning down the master vol?

And a good attenuator can sound great if you don't get fooled by the sudden drop in SPL as 'tone suck'.

Back