VX module through a V30, then an M75-LHDC

Klark

I got a Bogner cube from a buddy last night, and I wanted to record it's well broken in V30 against a Scumback M75-LHDC that I got from aeroic. Sorry, I don't know how to use soundclick yet so you'll have to download a zip file from my site. Also, after all my rambling, it's gets pretty loud when I start playing.

Play the v30.wav first..

http://www.alanproaudio.com/guitar/songs/V30vsM75.zip

Tomorrow when I have more time, I plan to do this again with an Elite 80, a Silver Bell, and a Blue Dog.

Klark":2j4nqx7p said:
I got a Bogner cube from a buddy last night, and I wanted to record it's well broken in V30 against a Scumback M75-LHDC that I got from aeroic. Sorry, I don't know how to use soundclick yet so you'll have to download a zip file from my site. Also, after all my rambling, it's gets pretty loud when I start playing.

Play the v30.wav first..

http://www.alanproaudio.com/guitar/songs/V30vsM75.zip

Tomorrow when I have more time, I plan to do this again with an Elite 80, a Silver Bell, and a Blue Dog.

Definitely like the M75 out of those two...more even, better clarity, and more "mojo" imho...tighter in the low end... Man. I have to say. I don't like ported cabs. That sounds really woofy, and I can hear the ports breathing through the mics. Maybe it's the mic's you are using that have a bigger area they pick up.

I've never been a big v30 fan but I like 'em both. The v30 is much more in your face. The m75 gets lost easily. I did FOH the other night and the guitar player had an m75 in his Bad Cat. Same thing.. Very soft & spongy, lots of mojo, but was pretty smeared compared to the opening bands guitar player which was playing thru some Carvin combo. Hearing them both is what sparked my interest to record this.

In my recordings the mic is about 3" off the grill, about 5" from each port. The mic is a CAD e100, which is a large diaphragm condenser, and has a pretty wide cardiod pattern. There's also a 58 room mic I set up so I could speak and be heard. It's about 12' from the cab, about head level. There is no EQ on either mic.

Everyone's different.. I don't hear any woof that's not typical from a ported cab. What I do hear is a great overdriven, well balanced, typical class A type tone that most of the FOH and monitor guys I tour & work with would find very easy to mix.

Klark":1m780eki said:
I've never been a big v30 fan but I like 'em both. The v30 is much more in your face. The m75 gets lost easily. I did FOH the other night and the guitar player had an m75 in his Bad Cat. Same thing.. Very soft & spongy, lots of mojo, but was pretty smeared compared to the opening bands guitar player which was playing thru some Carvin combo. Hearing them both is what sparked my interest to record this.

In my recordings the mic is about 3" off the grill, about 5" from each port. The mic is a CAD e100, which is a large diaphragm condenser, and has a pretty wide cardiod pattern. There's also a 58 room mic I set up so I could speak and be heard. It's about 12' from the cab, about head level. There is no EQ on either mic.

Everyone's different.. I don't hear any woof that's not typical from a ported cab. What I do hear is a great overdriven, well balanced, typical class A type tone that most of the FOH and monitor guys I tour & work with would find very easy to mix.

I didn't say that woof wasn't typical w/ a ported cab. Every ported cab I've played had woof. I'm saying I'm not a fan of that "woof". I'd rather have punch.

A Bad Cat w/ M75's is not gonna have the same feel / tone as lets say a RT2/50 though... I just don't see a M75 in the right cab w/ the egnater amps getting lost in the mix. Maybe Bad Cat amps might...as they are more spongy and such...since they are typically more plexi based, which I'm personally not a huge fan of. Folks that use Greenback style cabs typically don't have trouble breaking through a mix at all.

V30s live..will cut through a mix a lot...since they have TONS of upper mids that will slice your head off.

To each their own.

aeroic":2a336cif said:
I didn't say that woof wasn't typical w/ a ported cab. Every ported cab I've played had woof. I'm saying I'm not a fan of that "woof". I'd rather have punch.

A Bad Cat w/ M75's is not gonna have the same feel / tone as lets say a RT2/50 though... I just don't see a M75 in the right cab w/ the egnater amps getting lost in the mix. Maybe Bad Cat amps might...as they are more spongy and such...since they are typically more plexi based, which I'm personally not a huge fan of. Folks that use Greenback style cabs typically don't have trouble breaking through a mix at all.

V30s live..will cut through a mix a lot...since they have TONS of upper mids that will slice your head off.

To each their own.
Relax, not everyone is going to agree with what you're in love with, this month. :poke: :LOL: :LOL:

To each his own is right.. One mans punch or woof is different than the next guy. Though I would like to question what you're hearing.. Compared to the M75, I don't hear 'TONS of upper mids' that are anywhere near slicing my head off. I think you're extremely over-emphasizing the common Joe's description of a V30. The tonal difference between the two could be damn near matched by going from Noon to 1 on the mid & treble. Whoopededoo. However, no amount of tone tweaking will fix that very common Greenback smear. And it is that smear that has pushed many a players away from Greenbacks to V30s for live. Mind you I said live. I've toured with some A level players, and just about every one that I can remember had an old Greenback loaded cabinet of some sort at home that they record with, but their touring cabs are 8 outta 10 times, V30 loaded.

I will say that nowadays with everyone on stage being on in-ears, I'm seeing more & more greenback loaded cabs - No need to cut through on stage anymore, so the sweet Greenback smoothness is much more desirable when it's piped right into your ear canals.

Klark":f9829fyy said:
aeroic":f9829fyy said:

To each their own.
Relax, not everyone is going to agree with what you're in love with, this month. :poke: :LOL: :LOL:

To each his own is right.. One mans punch or woof is different than the next guy. Though I would like to question what you're hearing.. Compared to the M75, I don't hear 'TONS of upper mids' that are anywhere near slicing my head off. I think you're extremely over-emphasizing the common Joe's description of a V30. The tonal difference between the two could be damn near matched by going from Noon to 1 on the mid & treble. Whoopededoo. However, no amount of tone tweaking will fix that very common Greenback smear. And it is that smear that has pushed many a players away from Greenbacks to V30s for live. Mind you I said live. I've toured with some A level players, and just about every one that I can remember had an old Greenback loaded cabinet of some sort at home that they record with, but their touring cabs are 8 outta 10 times, V30 loaded.

I will say that nowadays with everyone on stage being on in-ears, I'm seeing more & more greenback loaded cabs - No need to cut through on stage anymore, so the sweet Greenback smoothness is much more desirable when it's piped right into your ear canals.

I don't expect everyone to agree with me at all. I was just stating my opinion of the two clips.

Listened to the clips again...and the M75s are more even...I do notice the spikey upper mids...which has always annoyed the crap of me. I've played a lot of cabs with V30s, and have never bonded w/ a V30 at all. My Egnater TM412 had 4 V30s in it...and I just could never dial it out in a way that was pleasing to my ear. Secondly, the more you crank a V30, the more harsh, crispy, and thin it gets to my ears. Again...that's ME...I know a lot of people love V30s. And I'm fine with that. I was just telling you my opinion. I thought the M75 sounded more even...more clear than the V30s..and warmer.

The spikey upper mids are a reason why I've never used V30s in my cabs. That's why I've always liked other speakers like M75s...K100s...CL80s a lot more. All of those speakers have a more even frequency response, which to me sounds the best.

I know I've done a lot of speaker swapping. A LOT of it. But I wanted to find the best tones for me. And that is by far and away the M75s. I just try to give opinions here as unbiased as humanly possible. Yeah. I know I really am a fanboi of the M75s. But they arent for everyone I know that. My love for them doesn't blind me to the fact that other people might like V30s...or G12H30s...etc. Gotta match your tone, feel, etc. to the right speaker, pickups, guitars, etc. And thankfully, I've done that for the most part for me. The TM412 w/ M75s in it...is what I've been looking for. The K100 is a killer speaker too. Records VERY well. I'll never be without at least one around. The K100 and the M75 are my two island speakers. I'll use them to record most of my stuff for sure.

I like 'em both, can't decide. Per Jim @ Scumback's recommendation, I might do the M75/H75 mix in my 4x12, but I hate mixing speakers, for the phase & directivity reasons, and for the micing issues.

I love that lower mid growl as you can hear on the recordings, but it's much more apparent with the mic so close. The growl isn't as apparent in the room. FOH & monitor guys love the growl at the mic because it keeps the guitar thick whether they have to EQ out harshness or not. Most of them would much rather EQ OUT harshness, than to EQ IN thickness.

Surprisingly, Jim's H75/M75 mix really well. But I hear you about the mic stuff. You know a cab full of M75's would flat out rock man. Seriously. I think I may go with the 65 watters too. They sound awesome for the classic stuff, but can rock REALLY hard.

Buckeyedog":ocdgie44 said:
Surprisingly, Jim's H75/M75 mix really well. But I hear you about the mic stuff. You know a cab full of M75's would flat out rock man. Seriously. I think I may go with the 65 watters too. They sound awesome for the classic stuff, but can rock REALLY hard.

I haven't had a chance to mix a M75 / H75. By itself...I didn't like the H75 as much as the M75. But mixed, it could be really cool! If I ever find a good deal on a 100W H75, I'll have to try it sometime. But that's not in the cards atm ;)

I have to say Klark...I think you'd dig just 4 M75s in that marshall cab of yours. 4 M75s is amazing...I'll tell ya!! But, the H75 / M75 combo would be rather awesome too!!!

Eric

Buckeyedog":23q2gi6e said:
Guess you won't be needin' my cab now.....!! :poke: :LOL: :LOL:
I wouldn't say that. My Rebel 30 head looks pretty stupid on top of this Bogner cab, so I'm definitely not buying it from my buddy at $400 loaded. Not too mention it doesn't sound any better than an Egnater 112x at $249. I'm gonna do one of three things:

1) Buy your cab (expensive, huge)
2) Buy a 112x (inexpensive, small)
3) Order an aeroic/mojotone Egnater style 1x12 (expensive, medium sized, takes 2-3 weeks)

Back