Waiting is driving me nuts...Tour Master

rizla

Hi newb here. Waiting for my TM head to arrive. Sick of watching Youtube vids and listening to sound files. I just want it here, now.
So what type of music are you using your TM for?
Anyone care to explain what sounds I should expect from each channel?

Im just impatient to get it. Need to talk about it. :)

rizla":vzxb0g9w said:
Hi newb here. Waiting for my TM head to arrive. Sick of watching Youtube vids and listening to sound files. I just want it here, now.
So what type of music are you using your TM for?
Anyone care to explain what sounds I should expect from each channel?

Im just impatient to get it. Need to talk about it. :)

I've heard nothing but great things about the TM!
Let us know your experience and opinions when you have a chance to check it out.

Rizla-

I have also recently joined Team TM, specifically a TM4212 (the combo). It should be noted that I am still in the honeymoon phase, but nonetheless here is my take:

I am using mostly humbuckers on LP and 335 type guitars, single coil fender here and there. I lean toward blues and vintage-new rock, sorry no metal for me.

I did not find the TM to be plug and play. Upon reflection, that may be a good thing. I will try to explain.

As others before me have said, please take some time to find the tones you seek - they will almost certainly be there but they may not jump out on that first chord. The knobs actually affect tone, and by the time that you blend the gain, volume, and eq to a basic liking you will find that the vintage-modern toggle changes everything. The countour is yet another story, needing a whole new set of twisting knobs for decent sound. So far, I generally prefer no countour but we will see. Point is, every channel can be tweaked with vastly different outcomes, and then you top it off with the reverb (btw- plenty reverb available IMHO), density, presence, and master volume. So again expect it to take some time to hone in on your desired sound - and enjoy the journey.

Of course, the basic clean - overdrive theme is the framework for each channel, and with respect to your question they have been described many times and also fairly accurately in the boilerplate Egnater sales pitch. It is how you take the sound from the base starting point that matters.

Back to my suggestion about how the TM was not plug and play for me, and how that it is a good thing. I am finding that time invested in learning to use the amp is paying off. The more I tweak, the happier I become. I had great tones within a short period of flipping the "on" switch and turning knobs, but it just keeps getting better. I am learning about the amp, and learning about my own style. I am also finding great tones that I did not expect, more of the good side of the learning curve.

OK, in an attempt to more directly answer your question, here is a quick take of the sounds from each channel - remembering that I am still playing with my knobs all the time :yes: . I like CH1 set high on the power grid, perhaps more headroom, trying for a clean sound - great results. CH2, I keep the power grid low on this one. I like the touch sensitive grind that I can get out of this one, it is labeled as a clean channel but I really like the hair that can be had with a twist of the gain and some digging of the pick. CH3, getting some good rock crunch. CH4, I frankly need more time to know. So far, 1 thru 3 are doing it for me.

This is not a one trick pony, and contrary to some opinions I believe it does many tones very well. I say that you are not sacrificing one killer tone for many so-so tones. If you are seeking only that one killer tone from that one amp (and you have $3K?), maybe this is not your bag any way. If you want an amp that is capable of delivering on several fronts, take the time to know how to use the available knobs and toggles - not to mention the power grid.

So, if you are like me in a few weeks (months?) you will still be dialing in your tones and hopefully loving it.

Hope that whets your appetite even further, have fun and report your findings!

I have had the 4212 for almost two years- Fabulous amp!

It's a complex amp- Very powerful and flexible. Don't expect to master it overnight. Tweaking and playing around with it are part of the fun.

Channel four took me some time to get into, but now I find I like the extra drive on my Strat- Makes up for the lower output of single coil pickups.

I love the power grid. I also set it for high power on the clean channel and lower power on the grindier channels.

The whole amp is kind of Fender-Vox-Marshall sounding. I found using the suggested presets in the manual a helpful way to get started.

I also really like the voicing switches, and I find myself playing with the contour switches these days as well.

It's a great amp- Enjoy! I think it is the best of the Egnater line, and somewhat unsung.

:rock:

Quick note for you on your Tm journey, Rizla. Maybe Len will chime in and give some advice and consultation.

Give the speakers some break-in time before making any definitve conclusions.

Was jamming today, a couple of hard struck higher notes were harshing my mellow, but I remembered that the sound I hear today (as a new TM4212 owner) may not be the same as the sound I hear a month from today. All very subjective, of course. I may come to realize how well the CL80s cut through the mix, etc.

Then again, I keep hearing all of this Scumback talk, as if I need yet another GAS objective...

I can't talk about the speakers, but I did think of this:

Make sure you balance your volumes between the channels, particularly if you are really making use of the power grid.

I did have some experiences where I got a really loud channel one because it was on 100 watts, but not enough gain on channel 4 which was down at 25 watts. A little time spent balancing things before hand is well spent.

Also remember that the power grid is a subtle effect. It is not ear candy and it isn't obvious. You won't hear it so much at bedroom levels, but at gig or rehearsal volumes- or just anytime you crank it up- you can hear the difference. Play the clean channel loud at 100 watts and it is very open and breathy. Play the overdrive channel loud at 10 watts and it has a creamy, compression-like effect. But it is subtle and not really noticable at low volumes. It takes a while to get into that one, but it is one of the best features of the amp.

Thanks for the reply's.
Im looking forward to getting the Tm and spending some time with it finding out what sounds it is capable of.
Just impatient is all.
Just had to talk to some one about it :D

TC Don and Len, in my experience, are right on the $$$ about the tones from and using the power grid on this amp. I have also found on each channel there is a channel volume sweet spot. Doesn't matter where I have the power grid set. On chnls 1&2 it's between 11:00 & 1:00 and chnls 3&4 1:00 to 2:00. I get to those magical spots and the amp blooms open.

Oh and dont forget to try the effects loop in parra with just a cable. Makes a great boost.

Duff

I have also found that the amp is "reactive" to my different guitars. (See below.) I have to EQ it when I change guitars. I have thought of having two Strat channels and two humbucker channels but I haven't gotten around to figuring that out yet.

Thought just talking about the Tourmaster might ease the anxiety of waiting. A cathartic exercise.
Just made it worse :doh: :)
Expecting it in the next couple of days. Trouble is Im going to be out of town for the week.

Thanks for all the great info.

i posted last week about my preamp tube journey viewtopic.php?f=26&t=74042&start=0

make sure you get yourself a quad of the ruby 6L6's from guitar center for 50 bux. even as a backup, can't beat it.
you might (as i mentioned in my post about pre tubes) want to immediately get that sovtek 12ax7lps matched tube for the 8th tube position (the phase inverter). immediately, you'll notice a better "feel" to your amp. also, something a forgot to mention, i had a fender sovtek 12ax7 (b?i think). i put it in the reverb tube slot, and it REALLY sounds great. it's really warm and chimey, but not overbearing like the GT 12ax7 was in there.

other than that, the journey for tone with this amp has been a pleasurable one. for sure, the 4 channels can do ANY sound, you just have to dial them in.

when i get time, i'll post my settings for you other cats to check out on your own TM's.
i traded a mesa heartbreaker combo for this amp, and honestly, i can't believe how great it sounds, feels, and makes me actually WANT to play more and better.

don't snark one bit at the fact that it's made in china. it's a great amp. the power grid makes this just about the most versatile amp you can get your hands on for under 2 grand. i find it useful at low volume settings, as well as putting some power tube "whomp" into my distortion at higher volume settings.

the secret to channel 4 lies in the gain/bass/resonance settings....pending if you use a 4/12 cab with this amp, you can REALLY over dial in the bass and resonance. use those knobs sparingly. i use my gain around 2oclock, bass around 11 and resonance less than 12 oclock. adjust your contour to taste (for metal sounds) and you have it.

the combo speakers are a tad crispy at high volumes, and i cant seem to get this dialed out without really backing off on the presence, which im not too crazy about, BUT, once i mix the combo with one of my 4x12s, the darker color of the cabinet mixes well and balances the combo speakers out. so, for me, it works out well.

i can't stress enough how important (as with any tube amp) the gain is. too much is readily noticeable and can make things mushy sounding....you dont wanna lose those nice tones by diming the gain out...so be careful there.

one other tip i posted, you can easily give yourself a clean boost with this amp, with NO OTHER outboard gear.
simply put a small patch cable from the effects send output to the return. set it on paralell OR series (i like it in parallell). set the switch on the back to apply to all channels. now, on your footboard, you can hit your effects loop button, and, pending your volumes and the loop settings, you can have a stage volume boost, OR even set it to mute. nice feature to an already nice amp.

i REALLY like the way this amp sounds with the back board off the combo rear. i just leave the grill for the fan screwed in. it sounds deeper and has a clearer bass response.

thats about it...keep drooling til you get it..then crank it up. break those speakers in for a few hours, and have at it.

the manual gives some nice starting points, and reference points for tone.....but dont be afraid to start all the channel knobs on 12 oclock and go from there. i found that easier than dialing in each knob from "0".

good luck with her...you'll love this amp.

Like the Mod 50, this amp also likes being LOUD! If you want gain, set the damn thing down at 10 watts, go to channel 4, and CRANK!

I also used the manual suggestions as a starting point, and I still go back to them sometimes. I noticed that they have a lot of cut mids and boosted bass and treble. Sounds good to me, but I wonder why that is.

Interesting about removing the back panel. I may try that. Did you find that lightened the amp significantly?

Len
i didn't try to move it with it the back off it. its sitting on one of my 4x12's. i took the WHOLE back off it when replacing the tubes. the top wooden bar, the grill, and the baffle board. id say it knocks off about 15 lbs though. i actually like the sound of it completely open, but havent figured out a way to mount my fan without the grille on the back.

i also noticed how the manual was kinda on the scooped midrange setting bandwagon.

Well Im still waiting :gethim:
Thanks for your posts. They have given me something to look forward to.
I messed around on the rest of the Egnater range for a few hours today just to satisfy my ever growing GAS. Seemed to slake my thirst somewhat.

Ok......insanely long wait over......its here......its good......I like it.....a lot. Gotta go and play now. ;)

quick review so far. Ive only mucked around with it for a couple of hours.

Channel 1: Great clean channel. Loves strats and single coils. Humbuckers sound great also. Bright and punchy. Good solid feel to it. I prefer the classic mode and have spent most of my time there. It immediately grabbed my attention.

Channel 2: Still playing with this channel. Its the least obvious of the 4. Its not hard to find good sounds in it. Just slightly harder to figure out what gain level I want it set at compared to the others and what songs I would use it for.

Channel 3: Yahoo... This is a fun channel in either mode. I love it. Gain dialed down and a strat is great. Gain dialed up with a Les Paul is a big slab of goofy yehaa. Its a bit tighter than I thought it was going to be after reading some review's. Tight enough for me anyway.

Channel 4: Im guessing I will use this as a solo channel of ch3. Im sure there are other ways to use it though.

I seem to like the classic mode on all four channels. I dont at this point have to much use for the contour button and dial. Its there, I will probably use it at some stage.
The amp seems to want to be played at reasonable levels. It would be a frustrating amp to own if you could only use it at polite conversational levels. Its sweet spots fall in line with the levels created by a stick hitting a snare. This suits my needs.
I like the reverb. I just use a touch. It sounds good on this amp.
I spent a little time with the power options. Its quite useful but I will leave it all on 100w. I like 100w.
Cant fault it yet. Its fun getting to know it. Its not hard to get a good sound out of it.
Today I ran it at the same time as my Mesa LS. That was pretty awesome. Big. Smile inducing. Love to do a gig with that combination.
I checked the bias it was down around 102mv so I played around with it for a while and settled on 130 for now. Adjusting it made quite a difference. Not as ratty sounding. Bigger? more open?
Anyway, annoyed I had to wait so long but happy its here and glad I like it.
The weight(60lb's) doesnt bother me. Cant see the big deal. Grow a set. :LOL: :LOL:
I will update the review as I go. This is only first impressions.

yeti":2vszh28x said:
im trading mine in for something else i think.

lack of support from the manufacturers, clear answers on power tubing, etc...im tapping out.

good luck with yours though!
I have a few different amps from different manufacturers. Ive never been too fussed about swapping out tubes unless they die on me. I dont seem to have the same fail rate others experience with tubes. I also dont notice huge differences in sound like others do when swapping out tubes. My expectations may not be as high as others and Im not denying anyone elses experiences . I notice more difference with different speaker cabs than any thing else. Pretty much seems to me that the tone stack dictates the end result and speakers accentuate different aspects of that.
I dont expect I will swap out the tubes anytime soon unless the GT's are such crap that they die within a short time frame.
I dont know what questions Egnater failed to answer of yours but I can honestly say mesa, fender, or marshall have never answered my emails. But Im not going to ditch my amps because of it. Turns out the answers were all on the internet anyway.
Apart from your bad experience with Egnater not answering your emails, what about the Tourmaster made you want to dump it? You have been quite upfront about how much you like this amp up until now. Just curious.

yeti":7qkeztt3 said:
im trading mine in for something else i think.

lack of support from the manufacturers, clear answers on power tubing, etc...im tapping out.

good luck with yours though!

Yeti- You can't bug out on me, man! The ever-shrinking Tourmaster club... AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back