Wanting buyers to pay your sellers fees?

Boss Katana.

I hate Boss. I've owned two boss products and both of them failed. I hate the Katana cause for two years I had to listen to every knucklehead on you name it guitar forum recommend them. Before that it was the dumb mustangs. Now it's the stupid tone masters.
Err, wrong number? Think you meant this for the "overrated amps" thread.

I just view it as overhead. The cost of doing business. I only buy and sell personal gear, but as soon as you use Reverb or Paypal or whatever, they become commercial transactions. If I want my item to sell, I have to price it competitively. Unless I paid well below street/market for something, I'm probably not going to get 100% of my money back plus fees. I think some sellers are just clueless.
Well put

The first year they started maybe 2020 or 21 I got one for 15k and didn't know what to do so went to get my taxes done and they adjusted it to zero. I haven't been audited yet!
I sell on all kinds of forums and have never gotten any 1099K's .What --am I lucky ??

I only ask for friends and family now or zelle because I don't want anymore 1099's from Paypal. Just like any deal you need to do your due diligence in regards to your buyer or seller.

Luckily I've never been burned buying or selling.
They can send me a 1099 so I can include the receipt for what I originally bought the item I am now selling for a loss. I keep receipts.

I don’t get it.. so many sellers pricing their shit too high to begin with, then they want you to pay their seller or PayPal fees. We're already paying double the shipping from a couple years ago, but you want me to pay your fee when you're advertising on a nationwide forum for free? GFY. Go list on reverb or eBay.
We all know the standard used to be that items were priced shipped/paypaled. Now with the 1099-K issues, sellers are generally asking the buyer to take on the buyer protection fees while they continue to cover the shipping fees. Seems like a reasonable evolution of the standard to me.

I have no problem with a seller requiring a cash payment, so long as they understand they are further limiting their audience. I'll always consider buying with a F&F payment if it's something I really want, but in general I'll just wait for a deal with the option for buyer protection. Especially if I'm spending thousands of dollars.

I like to put two prices. If you want lowest - friends and family here it is. You want the fees, here it is. You want all of it, it’s on reverb for way more. All up to the buyer. I also almost always assume I’m going to get offered 100-200 bucks less too.
Nailed it. No games, no BS, buyers choice.
Reg PayPal is for the buyers protection, therefore the BUYER can absorb those fees. Or he can pay PPG, it’s his call

There's fees baked in to everything else we buy. Why would gear sales be any different? Service fees for paying the water bill online, gas stations have different prices for cash/credit, prices go up to cover wage increases, etc. etc. Sellers have always made buyers cover extra fees and included it in the price; nothing new there. As long as no one starts asking for tips...

Basically everything you buy in life has fees baked into it already. The same people that complain about paying selling fees are usually the same people that expect 2 day shipping and treat random people as businesses.

The fees suck, sellers ask the buyer to pay less via gifted payment instead of a higher amount to cover the fees.
For example: Seller has a guitar wanting $1000 gifted - you pay $1000 or Seller pads the price to cover the fees he has to eat, $1050 price - you pay $1050

it's not complicated - trusted sellers usually do this and deals are fine, problem is when scammers ask for gift - then you're screwed. Prices are high everywhere - not just on musical instruments. Some of us know why inflation is out of control, others have rainbow colored hair and think electricity comes from unicorn piss.

Back