Watch out for user Gerts

Tonelover

Be careful if you get a message from new users in response to a WTB ad you have. Gerts is a new member as of today and sent :

Hello, Send an email to Jaime jaimejmorse@gmail.com He has a Mesa Boogie JP-2C up for sale. It might still be available.

This is a scam, saw some discussions about this on a different board.

UPDATE-
Before reading this I did send "Jaime" an email asking if he had the UL that was suggested to me. He replied after 8 hours with a lengthy description of an Ultra Lead and some pics. Here is the email

"Gary - Thanks for the email. Apologies for the delay in response as I was busy. I just got a chance to check my mail. Yes, I have a VHT Ultra Lead Black for sale in excellent condition. This was the last year for the 6L6/6550 switch, which gives the amp even more timbral and response flexibility. This has been my main studio amp for the past 6 years and it has performed flawlessly. The original VHT plate is included. I am the original owner of this amp. This amp has been kept in my (non-smoking) studio and has VERY low mileage on her. She has KT88 tubes which GROWL and are warm and responsive but IT IS switchable to 6L6's if you so desire. I'm including an official vinyl VHT dust cover and original foot switch. Price is $1565 and you pay shipping. I'm in California and will ship via UPS. Payment will be sent to my bank account. What is your complete shipping address so I calculate shipping?

Thanks

Jaime

PO Box 4909 13th Ave,

Sacramento, CA 95820 "

A few issues here.
-Asking price is really cheap, odd value too.
-Send money to his bank account?
-PO box

I followed up with a return email yesterday asking if his was the version with either 5 or 6 preamp tubes. He replied and said that it had 5 preamp tubes. Now I have already ruled him out as legit so I told him thank you but I was looking for the 6 preamp version. he just replied this morning. Here is that email-

"Ok, thanks for the reply. I also have the one with 6 preamp tubes."

LOL really? Your sitting on 2 Ultra Leads?

I'm assume by "payment will be sent to my bank account" he means a direct transfer?............yeah, right:jerkit:

FYI - I had a WTB ad and "Gerts" sent me a private message saying this Jaime guy had the amp I was on the lookout for and gave me his email address. When I emailed "Jaime" his response was verbatim to the one the previous poster received starting out with, "Thanks for writing. Apologies for the delay in response as I was busy. I just got a chance to check my mail. Yes, I have a XXXXX brand amp for sale in excellent condition." He then went on to give me the specs of the amp. His price was more than I was willing to pay and he quickly came down. Something seemed off so I passed. Glad I did now that I saw this post.

Don’t want to cut and paste the reply above, but this is proof that these scammers are getting MUCH more savvy and convincing in their initial replies to inquiries. They have enough details and ‘lingo’ to get you to understandably drop your guard. I ain’t too proud to admit that I got bit for $125 searching for an IM1 pickup. The price seemed awfully low, but the dude dropped all the convincing jargon and even described the string of comparable pickups (EVH Frankie, Duncan ‘78, Jalen...) that had been through his guitar along with the IM-1 while searching for his preferred tone. These guys are getting smoother and smoother...

Back