Wayyy too much new gear CLIP DAY!!!!

VESmedic

Man, I can not TELL YOU how stoked I am with how great some of this stuff I’ve bought is working out out for me… first of all, for all you mac users… wow. I am SO glad I made that jump finally. I bought a new iMac 16GB M1 and it’s just blowing my mind how everything just makes complete sense. The biggest for me being the tight integration with Logic Pro and my apogee ensemble interface. You can control all the parameters you need right in logic without having to touch the interface! That’s incredible to me. Even the input gain settings on the preamp etc. how is this not catching on with other companies? This whole setup is slick, and I finally feel like I can just worry about playing and writing and getting great tones! Which brings me to my next point….

Everyone on YouTube is a moron. Converters FOR SURE matter, yes even in this decade. It may not be evident to some of you, but this tone I just got for the first time sitting down and micing up my amp and learning all this stuff, is blowing my mind. The clarity and bigness and depth this basic tone has surpasses anything I’ve done so far for me: or at the very least I can see the potential and how this is going to sound in my mixes. BEYOND stoked. Also, this is still the scariest amp I own. It’s deadly. This is also just the ensembles built in mic pres, sounds great. Eq moves jump out at me on my new monitors, and I’m having to learn that I can actually trust them way more than I could before, thanks to the GLM Software room correcting eq from genelec.

Anyways… yea, I’m stoked, and my god why I didn’t get a Mac years ago?

Jackson USA 1987 custom shop soloist
Morin modded 1979 JMP 100 watt
Peppers dirty tree
Marshall 1960BV
unidyne sm57

Enjoy the thrash!

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/eV9P4CA1KDRz1TJx9

That’s your best sounding amp by a wide margin, for my taste. Sounds devastating
Thanks man! Glad you enjoyed it. It’s absolutely scary sounding to me. In the room with it is just…. Scary. It’s just completely out of control I wish I could truly capture it, but I do my best. Mike morin mods are to me, the best around. He was the guy in LA. Yes everyone knows suhr, CAE etc back then, but the big boys all had morins in their studio, and they never come up for sale like ever. I got chills when I heard one for the first time 17 years or so ago and I’ve wanted one ever since. I’ve never seen a 100 watt for sale so when I did, I had to grab it. You might see this particular amp on an STL tones release in the future, we will see. But it is devastating, that is the perfect word for it.

Thanks man! Glad you enjoyed it. It’s absolutely scary sounding to me. In the room with it is just…. Scary. It’s just completely out of control I wish I could truly capture it, but I do my best. Mike morin mods are to me, the best around. He was the guy in LA. Yes everyone knows suhr, CAE etc back then, but the big boys all had morins in their studio, and they never come up for sale like ever. I got chills when I heard one for the first time 17 years or so ago and I’ve wanted one ever since. I’ve never seen a 100 watt for sale so when I did, I had to grab it. You might see this particular amp on an STL tones release in the future, we will see. But it is devastating, that is the perfect word for it.
100 watts? Are you playing stadiums? Jesus. You can't even capture the tonal range like you could with a 20 watt or even 1 watt..

That’s your best sounding amp by a wide margin, for my taste. Sounds devastating

I agree. Vastly prefer medics morin jmp to everything else I've heard. That amp is super raw, and ALIVE sounding. It reminds me a bit of a couple Langner modded 2203s I've played, but a little less gainy and a bit more girthy.
100 watts? Are you playing stadiums? Jesus. You can't even capture the tonal range like you could with a 20 watt or even 1 watt..

Absolutely, just dial the "missing low end" back in with "post eq." Haven't you read the tone dig?!

I agree. Vastly prefer medics morin jmp to everything else I've heard. That amp is super raw, and ALIVE sounding. It reminds me a bit of a couple Langner modded 2203s I've played, but a little less gainy and a bit more girthy.

Absolutely, just dial the "missing low end" back in with "post eq." Haven't you read the tone dig?!
Yeah. it is agressive in all the right ways. Very tight

To be fair, converters DO matter between the shit interfaces and your 3k units but do they matter " that much" between say a 1k unit and a 3k unit? Maybe not enough to make the difference when you consider what you can spend that additional 2 k on. A nice preamp and a very competent mic which will make a much more noticeable difference.

I've been happy with my audient and then recent purchase of a MOTU 24ao. But if you have the cash to go higher end, why not.

To be fair, converters DO matter between the shit interfaces and your 3k units but do they matter " that much" between say a 1k unit and a 3k unit? Maybe not enough to make the difference when you consider what you can spend that additional 2 k on. A nice preamp and a very competent mic which will make a much more noticeable difference.

I've been happy with my audient and then recent purchase of a MOTU 24ao. But if you have the cash to go higher end, why not.

I absolutely agree with what you are saying no doubt. I think the problem is, newbs take these YouTube idiots words literally, because they don’t expand on what they really mean, like you just did. They literally think when glenn fricker and others say conversion doesn’t matter and that your interface is good enough, that their focusrite is as good as a lynx or prism unit and that it’s overpriced nonsense. This is what drives me nuts. But I most definitely hear the difference immediately just on one or two guitar tracks, can’t wait to see what it does for the entire mix!

I absolutely agree with what you are saying no doubt. I think the problem is, newbs take these YouTube idiots words literally, because they don’t expand on what they really mean, like you just did. They literally think when glenn fricker and others say conversion doesn’t matter and that your interface is good enough, that their focusrite is as good as a lynx or prism unit and that it’s overpriced nonsense. This is what drives me nuts. But I most definitely hear the difference immediately just on one or two guitar tracks, can’t wait to see what it does for the entire mix!

Glenn F, a real character. Needs to calm down and stop yelling so much for one. But yes you are right, he has lots to say about a lot of things but look at howbmuch more analog and quality gear he has been picking up over the years. I think he is good at what he does but so are a lot of people...these guys need content though. They have to find a way for people to come back and that's why you see gear and concepts or shootouts repeated everywhere once something new comes out or a topic starts spreading.

Bottom line, performance, mics, pres, analog gear , summing units, converters all make a difference. People with no money or hobbies like us may not want to hear it but it is fact!

Bottom line, performance, mics, pres, analog gear , summing units, converters all make a difference. People with no money or hobbies like us may not want to hear it but it is fact!

100%. It ALL matters. It's just a question of how well you know how to optimize various links in the chain, and how good each link of the chain is, gearwise, for you.

Glenn Fricker tells people what they want to hear for views. Secretly, everyone WANTS to think things like converters don't matter because then they have a holier than thou "I'm smarter at budgeting" cross to bear.

Everyone WANTS to hear that they don't need to spend money to do things right. So Glenn gives people who don't know any better what they want.

Damn that sounds good! And yes converters do matter. I heard a decent difference just going from a newer, smaller, Strindberg interface back to my old UR824 (much better converters).

Back