WCR pickups are awesome!

eljodon

I installed a bunch of WCR pickups in some of my guitars and I'm very impressed! I installed the CherryBucker bridge on my 64 Strat, a DarkBurst bridge on my custom Warmoth Strat, a Crossroads set on my 88' Silverburst Les Paul showcase edition, a set of WCR Strat pickups on my 94' 57 reissue Strat and they all sound amazing! The DarkBurst sounds like instant VH! The single coil Strat pickups are the best one's I tried so far and I already had 4 different sets in that guitar! My favorite so far are the DarkBurst and CherryBucker, because they sounds full and bright and it works for many rock Styles. My guitars have turned into a squealing machines because of an increase in harmonics. Distorted sound sound clear without any mudiness. Jim gave me some different magnets to try(! ceramic and 2 different Alnicos)but he uses Alnico V on most of his pickups, I'll give them a try later, but for now I'm really happy how my guitars are sounding!

VC4Ever":rojo8s0b said:
hey those were mine! give them back! haha glad to hear you like them.

That's right! I did get them from you! Thanks! I'm extremely happy with them!

chunktone":tmhbjeel said:
I've got an Icebucker set in my EC1000 and they were a HUGE improvement over the stock EMGs!
How are the Icebuckers as far as brightness? I believe Jim makes a 7 string version.He also has the Ironman that if I remember correctly it's the only one that comes with a ceramic magnets and I think they're the hottest one he makes.

yep, got that American steele set in my Les Paul Custom Shop (godwood, crossroads) and darkburst in my strat type guitars (suhr et al). Great pickups.

eljodon":225nlu8k said:
chunktone":225nlu8k said:
I've got an Icebucker set in my EC1000 and they were a HUGE improvement over the stock EMGs!
How are the Icebuckers as far as brightness? I believe Jim makes a 7 string version.He also has the Ironman that if I remember correctly it's the only one that comes with a ceramic magnets and I think they're the hottest one he makes.
They are a fairly balanced pickup. The highs are nice, not subdued at all, warm and very musical. There's no harshness to the highs. I expect this is due to the Alnico V mags. I am not a fan of ceramic mags, as they can get very gritty and shrill ime. It's a very clear pickup with great harmonics and overtones. They are not a high output pickup, and as such are very touch sensitive. They capture every nuance you put into them! This can be good, or bad. I am getting away from using super hot pickups. I would rather get my gain from the amp. The attention to detail in the construction is as high as I've seen. I'm sold!

yep I just ordered a Icebucker 7 string. I am getting away from the super hot pickups too. Not my thing.

Last I heard, Jim said that he wasn't into the idea of making 7 string pickups. Has this changed?

7 strings are indeed available. The option is there on the place order page. Also Jim didn't object when I emailed him.

Jim is the man and absolutely easy to deal with.

I've been rocking my Godwood for almost two years and that's all I could ever want/need.

Back