Went to Sam Ash yesterday, it was absolutely DEAD.

As scarce as I see people buying guitars, I sure don't think the French horns and cellos are flying off the shelves in the middle of winter either!

On a related note, there is a place here in NJ called Highway Music on Rte. 18 not far from Guitar Center. John the owner has been there since 1973. He started as a worker there and it was already established. Very old school type of place. Tons of used stuff, tons of parts..nothing high end for a long time but he did repairs and setups basically while you wait. Generally just a good guy. Was up there a few weeks ago and found out he was closing up as the rent increase was ridiculous. Here is guy who had the same store and same location since '73 only to be forced out by rent. Lots of memories of the place from the 80's till today. Just a shame....

I'm amazed the Sam Ash in Atlanta still exists, but I just looked it up and sure enough it's still running. It has seemed like smaller but more expensive "boutique" shops have actually done better than Sam Ash and GC.

I was in Sam Ash the other day, looking at a Nuno N4 guitar.

The sales dude was having some trouble with the terminal and walked away to get some help and left the thing unlocked. I happen to be in IT and decided to have a look around. What I found was on average a mark up of 45%. Totally floored at what these could be going for out the door.

Make sure on everything you’re at least getting 10% :unsure:
That was your comment?

I saw you get flamed on TGP a little over that, lol.

That was your comment?

I saw you get flamed on TGP a little over that, lol.
giphy.gif

i think most music stores are dead. My 3 GCs are some what busier than my 2 SA are but nothing like the big heys days of the past
i like to buy used. I find the GCs have way more selection then the SAs

even my mom and pop stores are quiet, just surviving on lessons and net sales

best store around here by far was the Music Zoo. but Tommy refuses to reopen his door to the public
and its a real a shame too with at about 5000 sq feet of guitar space to browse

Back