Western Electric USA considering expanding their tube operations due to the current global pandemic

Things that jumped out at me:
1) EHX initially thought its export of tubes was banned, and it told all of its customers that. Turns out it can still export audio tubes, just with more hassle/expense than before.
2) They don't want to move the factory because a) the skilled workers with experience are there and b) costs from US labor and environmental compliance would be prohibitive

Why are they cheaper (normal price) and in stock?
People have probably been sitting on them for years. They are a great tube. I had them stock in all the Ampeg VL amps I had in the early 90s so I started hunting them about 2005. I run across people selling them in bulk that arent into tubes or they dont care and get a good price for them. I need to stop collecting as I never use half the stuff I end up with . Es EI 12ax7's.

https://www.stereophile.com/content/re-tales-22-it-time-tube-surge
Posted yesterday - rehash of a lot of previous info, most interesting thing in the article are quotes from a recent interview with the owner of Western Electric- Charlie Whitener. Three points that jumped out to me from that interview:

COST

"Our labor costs are six times higher than they are in Russia or China," he said. "We won't be able to deliver the same price." Consequently, Western Electric doesn't expect to get the bulk of the tube business, he added: He'd be happy with 10%.

Labor is just one part of overall cost, probably won't translate to 6x higher retail price of tubes, but who knows.

TYPES OF TUBES

The new factory has infrastructure and capacity, Whitener told me, but they're still working on the tooling for specific parts. Soon, they plan to add 12AX7, 12AT7, 12AU7, 6550, and 6L6 tubes to the WE lineup.

WHEN

"We've made commitments for extra machinery and materials," Whitener told me. "It's probably going to be at least nine months, maybe a year, before we can deliver quantity. We're on track in pursuit of this adventure."

Means in Europe they will cost around 200-250€ for each power tube. Thank, appreciate, but nope.

Americans should support stuff made here as much as we can, imho.
i agree but it ain't easy, or cheap. you have to shop local, and pay the premium.

i live in detroit.... home of the "OUT OF A JOB, KEEP BUYING FOREIGN!" bumper sticker.
We have these dudes, generation deep, brain washed by union horseshit, and auto factory rhetoric around here, that think if they spend 20k on an american car once every 10 years that they are going to some how offset all the money they and thier families spend on shit from other countries that they're not even thinking about: food, electronics, clothing, all accessories for everything, all the stuff you buy your kids, the list goes on and on. its just blowhard shit.

i agree but it ain't easy, or cheap. you have to shop local, and pay the premium.

i live in detroit.... home of the "OUT OF A JOB, KEEP BUYING FOREIGN!" bumper sticker.
We have these dudes, generation deep, brain washed by union horseshit, and auto factory rhetoric around here, that think if they spend 20k on an american car once every 10 years that they are going to some how offset all the money they and thier families spend on shit from other countries that they're not even thinking about: food, electronics, clothing, all accessories for everything, all the stuff you buy your kids, the list goes on and on. its just blowhard shit.
Unions killed the auto industry in the US, but I digress, and I don’t wanna derail the thread. I know it’s more expensive, but I’m really going to try and buy American and local wherever I can.

Back