What’s your favorite lead boost volume tool?

bikerdude2

Debating on trying a clean boost, eq, and possibly just a wah pedal to make those kids jump out in the mix when it’s lead time. As I run a delay in the loop, I really want something in the front of the amp with a volume boost.

This depends completely based on the rig, and the player. There is going to be no "one size fits all."

Volume pedal in the loop is great for controllability.

EQ in the loop is great for carving out specific freqs in a dense band mix.

Second master volume/powerstation method is the only way that really works if you're using a cranked amp, but works great for mv amps as well.

Wah pedals can work in certain types of bands with certain types of tones, but not all.

Clean boost in the loop after the delay is an excellent choice as well.

There really isn't one way to do this, it vastly depends on the rig you already have.

If you don't have a lead channel you can stomp on, then an EQ pedal is a way to go to jump into a lead tone. You change the curve. It's the easiest one because it sounds good and it sounds different without adding too much gain and getting honky which can happen with boosts and overdrives in front depending on the amp. If the EQ works then you can add a touch of delay to the lead if you want.

Last edited:
Volume pedal in the loop, backed off a bit. Floor it for solos.
IMO, this can be even better than a clean boost in the loop. Just put it before the delay so you get trails when you do swells and such. I was just never good enough at working it and never gave it enough effort so I went back a switch (RC Boost).

Second Master Volume. If that’s not available EQ in the loop
This is the best answer for a pure volume boost, imho.

If using an EQ or volume pedal in the loop, you can also do it “backwards,” i.e., have the EQ on but lowered in volume for rhythm, then cut it off/disengage for leads.

This is the best answer for a pure volume boost, imho.

If using an EQ or volume pedal in the loop, you can also do it “backwards,” i.e., have the EQ on but lowered in volume for rhythm, then cut it off/disengage for leads.
Not that it really matters but a second Master Volume does exactly what the second part of your post says. IOW, the lead 'boost' is actually the original unboosted tone and the regular tone is a lower volume version of it.

Also, if your amp is running out of headroom you definitely want to use the Volume pedal instead of a clean boost in the loop. A clean boost in the loop of an amp that is running out of headroom will just compress then distort and may not give enough volume boost.

Not that it really matters but a second Master Volume does exactly what the second part of your post says. IOW, the lead 'boost' is actually the original unboosted tone and the regular tone is a lower volume version of it.
I agreed earlier with the post that recommended a second master. That’s the best option for solo boosting. I’ve tried other ways, and the second master is the best, imho.

I agreed earlier with the post that recommended a second master. That’s the best option for solo boosting. I’ve tried other ways, and the second master is the best, imho.
Yep, I agree with that. I didn't even consider it based on the context of the OP tho since it was about pedals and loop-or-in front.

That's what she said. :jedi:

I use a TC Spark in the loop nowadays. I love that little pedal. The mini version. It has some kind of special switch. It can tell if u are using it for momentary boost (hold foot down) or for boost on (tap switch). It’s genius.

Back