What are the hot guitars these days?

MadAsAHatter

The last fresh off the factory line guitar I bought was back in 1995 when I got my first Ibanez Iceman. Everything else since then has been something that's 10 or more years old, a fankenparts guitar, or something I built myself. Put it this way; the last time I really looked at new guitars Korean production hadn't fully gotten their shit together.

So, what's the hot items/brands in guitars these days?

Bump for interest. I'm pretty curious about this myself, my favorite brand of guitars are Fernandes and they're more or less the way of the dodo now. I'm definitely curious if there's some kind of current production line Japanese brand that is worth checking out.

If I could bring myself to buy stuff other than custom or US made, I'd definitely pick up a Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder or a Harley Benton Fusion III for good, solid rock/metal platforms. Granted, there's always nice offerings from Ibanez, Charvel, and the other usual suspects.

Offsets are popular. I built one and it sounds and plays great but it’s a wonky body shape that I’m not crazy about. And I like being able to easily lean my guitars on something and not have it flip over.

Headless fanned fret guitars with classical position leg cutouts on the bottom seem to be the latest and greatest thing of the moment. Personally I'd like to try a Strandberg but I cannot stand the placement of the inlays. If they'd make a decent guitar with inlays down the middle of the neck, I'd probably buy one.

TCl1yJ8.png

Also the Ibanez AZ series seems to be blowing up. I've never been an Ibanez guy but I have to admit, some of them look great.

High end guitars from Suhr and Tom Anderson seem to have been getting more popular lately too.

Last edited:
If I could bring myself to buy stuff other than custom or US made, I'd definitely pick up a Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder or a Harley Benton Fusion III for good, solid rock/metal platforms. Granted, there's always nice offerings from Ibanez, Charvel, and the other usual suspects.
It's not an SVSS, but my Schecter Reaper 6 is awesome. Love the neck and neck joint.

Headless fanned fret guitars with classical position leg cutouts on the bottom seem to be the latest and greatest thing of the moment. Personally I'd like to try a Strandberg but I cannot stand the placement of the inlays. If they'd make a decent guitar with inlays down the middle of the neck, I'd probably buy one.

TCl1yJ8.png

Also the Ibanez AZ series seems to be blowing up. I've never been an Ibanez guy but I have to admit, some of them look great.

High end guitars from Suhr and Tom Anderson seem to have been getting more popular lately too.
I want to own a Strandberg guitar, but refuse to pay $1,800- 2k for a guitar made in Indonesia.

I can't find any pricing on their website.

Everything says "SOLD" and $0.00
They're basically a custom shop from my understanding. I don't think I've seen a stocked guitar on their site in years. There are a few used ones here and there, but it's mostly you tell them what you want and they build it.

I think the Silver Sky beat everything this past year in terms of sale, wishlists and popularity and even social media trending. Nothing came close.

Back