What are the qualities of a good progressive humbucker?

Also agree Lundgrens are great, I have the black heaven (7 and 8 string models) and M7 (7 string) and they’re very clear and punchy, high output, big sounding but tight. While not 6 string models, the dcr may be useful, measured from output jack (500k volume only on all guitars, no tone knob)

M7 (7 strings) - 12.69k
Black heaven (7 strings) - 10.54k
Black heaven (8 strings) - 11.66k

Half way though this post and I remembered I have a new uninstalled M7, so just measured that one.

Series coils: 12.8k
Coil 1: 7.08k
Coil 2: 5.72k

The pickups are also very thick, not sure if taller than usual coils or just massive magnets in them. I measured the M7 to be 16mm tall, bottom of baseplate to top of coil. Judging by the bumps in the tape I think the coil is about 10mm to 11mm thick. the coils feel full also.

Also agree Lundgrens are great, I have the black heaven (7 and 8 string models) and M7 (7 string) and they’re very clear and punchy, high output, big sounding but tight. While not 6 string models, the dcr may be useful, measured from output jack (500k volume only on all guitars, no tone knob)

M7 (7 strings) - 12.69k
Black heaven (7 strings) - 10.54k
Black heaven (8 strings) - 11.66k

Half way though this post and I remembered I have a new uninstalled M7, so just measured that one.

Series coils: 12.8k
Coil 1: 7.08k
Coil 2: 5.72k

The pickups are also very thick, not sure if taller than usual coils or just massive magnets in them. I measured the M7 to be 16mm tall, bottom of baseplate to top of coil. Judging by the bumps in the tape I think the coil is about 10mm to 11mm thick. the coils feel full also.
Okay so it it's offset coils that would account for my original hunch that an in between gauge was used to get 10.4k for the 6;string version. I would assume the neck facing coil is the hotter wound, or the pickup would be super bright. As for the magnet, thick ceramic is easily to get. I wonder if it's a single magnet or if there's small flanking magnets as well.

My guess is

Coil 1: 6200 @ 6.1k 43awg
Coil 2: 5500 @ 4.3k 42awg

Back