What are you guys running for pre amp tubes?

Aristocat

I recently bought a used BE100 and I'm thinking of retubing and changing out the pre amp tubes.

When I had my KS Modded SLP, I ran Tung Sols in V1/2 and Ruby AC5's in V3/4. The only problem is that I can't find the AC5's anywhere.

Thanks!

I've always had the best luck with tung sol in v2. I run an EHX in v1 as it's slightly brighter and less bass than a tung sol, which helps with clarity on the HBE channel. I run a 9th gen Chinese in v3 and a Sovtek LPS does well in the PI.

Dave Friedman told me a while back that Chinese pre tubes were no longer being made. Factory was destroyed or burned or something along those lines.

These are the same Chinese tube and available but says "low stock." Grab some soon.

https://www.dougstubes.com/preamp-tubes/12ax7-ecc83-7025/penta-12ax7.html

I have a Runt 50, and it's my understanding V2 is the drive, so I use a Tungsol in mine as well. I don't use the clean channel, but does V1 tube make much difference in the drive channel, if any?

I was running Tung-Sols in V1 and V2 of my Runt 50, but swapped the stock ARS labeled JJs back in. The Tung-Sols were just a little too "edgy" for me, and I preferred the smoother stock tubes. May give the new EH 7025 tubes a shot after watching Pete's Thorn's 12ax7 tube shootout video- seems like a nice, balanced tube.

I have a bunch of NOS 12ax7s that I've rolled in my BE-50 and it didn't just didn't seem to make much of a difference. Maybe I'll try some of those suggested here.

I just swapped out the stock ARS/ JJ in V2 of my Runt 50 for a EH 7025EH, and I have to say I like it a little better. Seems like it has a tad less gain, but the top end is a touch smoother and very clear. Might try them in the other positions too just for fun.

I dig it.

I just swapped out the stock ARS/ JJ in V2 of my Runt 50 for a EH 7025EH, and I have to say I like it a little better. Seems like it has a tad less gain, but the top end is a touch smoother and very clear. Might try them in the other positions too just for fun.

I dig it.

I just ordered some of those EH 7025 for my Runt 50! I have been having an odd issue with the gain channel seeming to be a lot quieter than the clean channel; and I'm thinking it's probably whatever I have in it at the moment for preamp tubes. Hope so! I had the power switch break recently, so when my shop repaired that, they biased it and checked it over; all seems to be working fine. I think I have Sovtek LPS in it now, and maybe Tung Sol.

I just ordered some of those EH 7025 for my Runt 50! I have been having an odd issue with the gain channel seeming to be a lot quieter than the clean channel; and I'm thinking it's probably whatever I have in it at the moment for preamp tubes. Hope so! I had the power switch break recently, so when my shop repaired that, they biased it and checked it over; all seems to be working fine. I think I have Sovtek LPS in it now, and maybe Tung Sol.

Just put the four EHX 7025 in my Runt 50 combo last night. Love it so far! Alot better than what I had in there before; which I don't even know if was a good idea to mix Tung Sol and Sovtek; but the EHX make it sound like I wanted it to sound. Better balance of volume from clean to dirt channel. Always have the dirt channel more cranked than the clean; but this is much better.

Back