What do you men use for a slide ?

slide-whistle-simpsons.gif

No more tears I used an actual glass slide and stuck it over one of the top of my tuners until I needed it again.

For songs like radar love I used a lighter in my pocket because back then I used to smoke.

Now I don’t use one at all

When I was gigging back about 25 yrs. ago, I used a stainless steel slide on my pinky.

I use my pinky so I could still bar chords while playing.

The slide I got back in ‘75 when I was at a UFO concert. The opening act was a guitarist named Rocky Hill ( Dusty Hill’s brother, late bass player for ZZ Top)

Picked it up off stage when he dropped it before the encore.

Here it is after all these years.

IMG_0022.jpeg

No more tears I used an actual glass slide and stuck it over one of the top of my tuners until I needed it again.

For songs like radar love I used a lighter in my pocket because back then I used to smoke.

Now I don’t use one at all
This one looks pretty good.

Reminds me of the bottle I used to keep my Pepsi® in.

TItSMOF.jpg

I have a Mudslide, that I bought a gazillion years ago. I think they’re made by Dunlop. It sounds cool when I use it with the EBow, and a lot of delay

I’ve only recently been getting into slide a bit, but I want to do it in regular tunings, mostly for lead lines and stuff. I really like how Jason Isbell does slide work and he uses a glass slide on his middle finger like Bonnie Rait, and while he does sometimes use an open tuning for the rare all-slide song, it’s usually more for leads and accents.

I’ve been trying to get used to using this for a couple weeks:
IMG_3619.jpeg

Black Mountain Slide Ring. I actually like it a lot for what I want to do but it definitely takes getting used to. You can only do 1-2 strings at a time which has benefits and drawbacks depending on what you want to do.

I used to play slide a lot. Not saying I was worth a fuck but I did. I have used about everything. To me it depends on if you’re a pinky player or a ring finger player. I used a Dunlop heavy glass on my ring finger or a piece of copper tubing for my pinky. Go to the hardware store and start fingering all their copper pipes to see which fits the best. Also get it a little bigger and attach foam weather stripping to the inside also. And of course sand down those edges.

I’ve only recently been getting into slide a bit, but I want to do it in regular tunings, mostly for lead lines and stuff. I really like how Jason Isbell does slide work and he uses a glass slide on his middle finger like Bonnie Rait, and while he does sometimes use an open tuning for the rare all-slide song, it’s usually more for leads and accents.

I’ve been trying to get used to using this for a couple weeks:
View attachment 282935
Black Mountain Slide Ring. I actually like it a lot for what I want to do but it definitely takes getting used to. You can only do 1-2 strings at a time which has benefits and drawbacks depending on what you want to do.
I think I'm way too unpracticed with a slide to use this one.

:rolleyes:

I think I'm way too unpracticed with a slide to use this one.

:rolleyes:
Well, I would say the same but it’s actually pretty fun to use because you can play in standard tuning, chord pretty easily and then use the slide ring for leads. The fact that you can only touch two strings at once is actually a benefit in this case since in anything but an open tuning, you would have a problem with half the strings ringing out with a full slide. It’s meant to be worn on the middle finger which works better for me as I have trouble muting behind a slide if it’s on my pinky just due to the shape of my fingers.

Back