What EL34's are you using these days in your Ecstasy?

duncan

With =C='s being outlandishly expensive these days, what are y'all using for EL34's in your Ecstasy? I've had JJ E34L's lately, but I'm curious if there's another brand that can handle how hard Bogners run their power tubes.

Ruby EL34 BHTs

They have a very distinct aggression and distinct tone to them that doesn’t sound like others. I didn’t realize how much of my 101B’s tone was contributed by the power tubes.

As far as their sound, they don’t have a mid emphasis to them like JJ 6CA7s. Their low end is very solid and extended. Their highs are aggressive and pronounced. It allows you to crank on the mids while still getting a solid low end response.

With =C='s being outlandishly expensive these days, what are y'all using for EL34's in your Ecstasy? I've had JJ E34L's lately, but I'm curious if there's another brand that can handle how hard Bogners run their power tubes.
GoldLion KT-77 for the last many years. I've got the 20thA version of this head, but I think I loaded the GL77s into that head within the first couple years of ownership and they've been in there since then - and I got my amp as one of the first off the line. So, A+ for longevity, and A+ for tone for sure.

JJ 34L seems to like my Helios Eclipse. The Eclipse seems to like 1960 bv cab.
Serious rig. Me like. Never thought I'd like a Bogner Helios.

I use regular JJ's, not the 'L's. Sound great, cheap, and easily obtained from Eurotubes.

Ruby EL34 BHTs

They have a very distinct aggression and distinct tone to them that doesn’t sound like others. I didn’t realize how much of my 101B’s tone was contributed by the power tubes.

As far as their sound, they don’t have a mid emphasis to them like JJ 6CA7s. Their low end is very solid and extended. Their highs are aggressive and pronounced. It allows you to crank on the mids while still getting a solid low end response.
Apparently BHTs are a Ruby relabeled Chinese tube that are no longer in production due the factory fire that occurred. I plan to go to the JJ produced version of the tube that is a Ruby EL34-CZ instead of Ruby EL34-BHT.

The JJ KT77 is the finest EL34 type valve available. Folks that find them too agressive bias them as if they're 25 watts, when in reality they're more like 31 watts. FIGHT ME!

Does anyone find the tung sol el34b to be boomy or bumped up in the low mids ?
Don't want to call it bassy but? Referring to the xtc 101b.

Ruby EL34 BHTs

hey

worry less about the power tubes and more about playing it, while using your EQ to nit pick your tone....
( there is nothing 'wrong' with your amp....)

Switching gears back to Bogner Helios Eclipse power tubes. JJ 6CA7s are
very impressive. Would think they are good performers in a 101b xtc ? Maybe preferring single coils ?

Found some GT 12ax7 tubes. Do these enhance any Bogner or are they just so-so ? Label covers factory print.

Back