What hated piece of gear did you grow to like?

ClintN667

There are somethings that I always looked at and hated that now I'm finding myself thinking "you know I wouldnt mind trying one"

For example I hated headless guitars. I have never played one. I remember seeing Allan Holdsworth playing one as a kid and just thinking "what a dork". Now I'm older and know how awesome Allan Holdsworth is and headless guitars are actually growing on me(visually anyway). Like I would never use one as my main guitar but I find myself thinking this would be nice just to have around for convenience.

Also Telecasters. I have never understood the appeal but lately I see something like Andy Wood's signature Suhr and think maybe one day I will grab one of those.

On the flip side is there anything that you used to love than now you hate?

agree with the Tele's.... They were always, as a kid, "country" music to me. and if it won't RnR... i hated it :rawk: i still don't own one, but i like them more and more and really would like to own one.

amp sims/pedal/processors... i remember seeing a Boss years ago (can't remember which iteration) and thought man this isn't real "gear" :LOL: if ain't a tube amp, its "fake". still nothing like a good tube amp, but the "1's and zero's" are getting much better. i loved my Kemper and thus far the HeadRush stuff does ok for what i need!

The boss metal zone is widely regarded as a joke, but its actually a very fun pedal if you're into old school euro black and death metal. once you use it more as a parametric eq, you can get some really cool "underground" type metal tones.

Using pedals.

I grew up being pedal-less except for effects loop stuff.

Now I use an SD-1 on my Bogner, Marshall, and Metroplex every day.

For example I hated headless guitars. I have never played one. I remember seeing Allan Holdsworth playing one as a kid and just thinking "what a dork".

Same here. It's been pretty much all I've played now for the past 4-5 years.
First a Kiesel Vader and now Strandberg. They make so much sense in so many ways.

Strandbergs.jpg

The boss metal zone is widely regarded as a joke, but its actually a very fun pedal if you're into old school euro black and death metal. once you use it more as a parametric eq, you can get some really cool "underground" type metal tones.
Totally agree. You can dial in some brutal, thick, buzzsaw like Death Metal tones with that “joke.”

Telecaster. Bought a SDOTD G&L Tribute ASAT Classic and it's become one of my favorite guitars. I'd go as far as to say that the Tele is THE quintessential beginners' guitar. No tremolo so it stays in tune. The bridge pickup can get heavy if you put it through a high gainer (and it can stay tight without being ice-picky like a Strat) and obviously Tele clean tones are kind of the gold standard. I just wish this Tele had a gut cut.

Boss MT-2, I agree. I actually really liked it as a Gain at 0, Volume to taste boost that adds a little crunch on its own (gain at 0 on a MT-2 is still a little crunchy). When I had one, I used to use it to boost a Carvin X100B into some very aggressive places. It just sounded massive.

Alesis Quadraverb (the original). Yes, it sounds like the '80's, but it's lush and can be a subtle addition to the rig. I really like it.

Peavey Bandit when they first came out. Was all I could afford at the time and it was embarrassing.
Think I ripped the logo off before I got the thing home.
Ended up doing a number of gigs with it mic'd and propped up on a dummy 4 x 12.
Those OG ones were pretty amazing.

Mike Britt even has Kemper profiles of an old one for sale! :LOL:

Name brand / boutique gear. For years I carried a chip about the fact I didn't have any money and had that attitude that "I can turn a "cheap" guitar or build a parts guitar into something as good or better than any gibson, prs, custom shop etc..."

I still have my parts guitars and a couple of my cheaper brand guitars but they don't get played as much and now I fully recognize that as much as I love them and as good as they may be to me, they still aren't that good and I have the brands and boutiques in my collection too.

Peavey Bandit when they first came out. Was all I could afford at the time and it was embarrassing.
Think I ripped the logo off before I got the thing home.
Ended up doing a number of gigs with it mic'd and propped up on a dummy 4 x 12.
Those OG ones were pretty amazing.

Mike Britt even has Kemper profiles of an old one for sale! :LOL:
i fixed up my bro in laws bandit 65 when i was young and put an ev 12l in it. Thing sounded like a hot mess though... very noisey, loose, and thick. with some major honk. I can see how at the gates got that The Red In The Sky Is Ours tone from those. :p

I remember the Duncan JB being the first piece of gear that didn't live up to the hype for me. Ironically almost every JB style pickup that wasn't a JB sounded good to me however. I don't know at all what that's about. I bought a vintage MJ wound JB that did the trick and was exactly the sound. Also the Duncan RTM is one of my favorite pickups and that is a different version of a JB

Same here. It's been pretty much all I've played now for the past 4-5 years.
First a Kiesel Vader and now Strandberg. They make so much sense in so many ways.

View attachment 84692
Like last year I wouldnt be caught dead with one of those. Now I'm like "man i would like to have one". That black one is my cup of tea now. That Kiesel too. It just seems like it would be effortless to pick up and play.

Name brand / boutique gear. For years I carried a chip about the fact I didn't have any money and had that attitude that "I can turn a "cheap" guitar or build a parts guitar into something as good or better than any gibson, prs, custom shop etc..."

I still have my parts guitars and a couple of my cheaper brand guitars but they don't get played as much and now I fully recognize that as much as I love them and as good as they may be to me, they still aren't that good and I have the brands and boutiques in my collection too.
Yeah man. I was always against paying more than 500-700 on a guitar. I kept thinking what could possibly be better? Then I got my first Mayones this year. I immediately put a second one on order and I have an aviator custom on order. It made my Solar and my Jackson feel like toys. The Suhr I've played were the same way. Like you pick them up and they just feel.. I dunno, solid??

My Mayones is not one of the fancy tops and fretboards with some rare crazy wood or anything. The other two I have on order had one of my friends scratching his head like "you could get one of those by (insert mass produced model) for about 1k"

I've also changed my view on single channel amps. I used to think why would you want just one channel? Now I really dont want more than one channel. I know what my sound is and I dont really stray from that.

That black one is my cup of tea now. That Kiesel too. It just seems like it would be effortless to pick up and play.

The Keisel came first and was great but never really liked the tuners or changing strings.
Plus it was heavy - solid mahogany and maple.

The Strandberg is a game changer in so many ways.
- completely addressed both of the above issues.
- the scale. Les Paul on the high E fanning to Strat on the low E. 10-46 is perfect!
- the weight. About 5 lbs on the money. And perfectly balanced.
- chambered for extra resonance and sustain.
- the radical neck. Radical for about 30 seconds and then it's like "why didn't someone do this sooner?"

You can grip and rip like SVR or flow around lightly like Holdsworth and your hand/wrist always seems
in the perfect position and comfy. Plus first guitar ever with instantaneous truss rod action.
Set it by eye and it's done. Doesn't need any acclimation time. This is cooler than it looks!

i fixed up my bro in laws bandit 65 when i was young and put an ev 12l in it. Thing sounded like a hot mess though... very noisey, loose, and thick. with some major honk. I can see how at the gates got that The Red In The Sky Is Ours tone from those. :p
Just FYI (from one ATG fan to another), The Red in the Sky is Ours was a Mesa Boogie combo. Anders didn't specify which model, but I imagined a Studio 22 based on the small tone.

Back