What is the dealeo with the Suhr Aldrich pickups?????

richedie

Yo guys! What is the scoop on these in a Les Paul Stanard?
http://www.suhrguitars.com/pickups.aspx#DA
This pickup sounds mad good from clips! Although you never, never know till you get it in your guitar.

Does Doug use low output amps to make up for the hot pickup? Personally, I have always found medium output pickups to be my favorite. The Gibson Bill Lawrence circuit board pickups calle The Original are my favorite Gibby pickups but I also loved the Motor City Torque and the Rio Grande BBQ.

My amps are Bogner 20th Anniversary Shiva and PWE Event Horizon and music is everything from classic hard rock to 90s grunge and rock to some modern hard rock and punk. I don't do much metal these days. The band I am in now is a 90s hard rock and grunge band.

Should I give them a try? :)

If the Aldrich doesn't clean up and is too hot, the Motor City Angel Dust could work.
http://motorcitypickups.com/products/angeldust.htm
-Rich

I have 7 Aldrich pickups (various configurations neck and bridge) in some of my guitars. Great pickups!
However, if you try the Angel Dust and dont like it, I will trade you a trem spaced all black Aldrich for your similiar MCP Angel Dust.

Hey Richedie! Get one man. I have one in my Les Paul Standard and love it. I got it put in probably around 2008 and haven't looked at other pickups since. It has a vintage sound but can also do heavy. I haven't seen many pickups like it. It doesn't sound sterile at all and very defined. Really love that pickup. Perfect in a Les Paul.

To respond to the original post, I run them in Stratocasters so it's a different beast, but they do clean up well in my guitars. They sound amazing. :rock:

Most people here really love them. Personally, they aren't for me. To me they are beyond "crunchy" and are in the category of "harsh." Many members here prefer a bit of harshness while I've always preferred a smoother, yet massive, and mean overdriven tone.

Although I must mention, I hear they really differ depending on which guitar they are in. I have only tried them in a Suhr Standard so, that could be it. Supposedly they sound fantastic in LPs.

They are good pickups, really hot output. And they split like no other humbucker. They sound really really nice that way.

For hi gain humbucker tones its great, not so much for classic rock. But that is pretty obvious. These are perfect for 80's hard rock tones. By the way I have them in a Les Paul

I find the Suhr Aldrich a little too thin and shrill for my tastes. Into a high gain amp, they seem to fall to pieces on top. That's just me though. Your results may differ.

I have the Aldrichs in a couple of my Les Paul and they are far from thin or harsh to my ear. You can see the amps I play below and think they are a great with fit those amps for classic rock tones, 80's tones and more. I also agree that they sound great split as well.

I have one in a mahagony body'd Jackson PC-1. Compared to the stock Super 3 the Aldrich woke up the guitar.
The aldrich isnt like most high output pups. It's definitely hot, but has a vintage feel. Almost PAF like but thats a loaded term. It cleans up just fine.

I'm waiting for availability so I can put a set in my Hamer Diablo...

BTW, I'm using a Bogner XTC, so not a very high gain head...

The Hoff":ykfm8bk6 said:
Most people here really love them. Personally, they aren't for me. To me they are beyond "crunchy" and are in the category of "harsh." Many members here prefer a bit of harshness while I've always preferred a smoother, yet massive, and mean overdriven tone.

Although I must mention, I hear they really differ depending on which guitar they are in. I have only tried them in a Suhr Standard so, that could be it. Supposedly they sound fantastic in LPs.

I have an Aldrich in each of my Les Paul bridge positions and I don't hear the 'harshness' you describe, but as you mention it could be the guitar differences. I think the aldrich pickups actually sound fairly smooth. Other pickups that people like, often sound too crunchy and buzzy for my tastes, at least in the clips.

And +1 to splitting, I have push pull pots in each LP to split them, they work well that way.

I have them in a PRS Custom 24. It works well for hard rock and metal. Their best property seems to be a tendency to tighten up looser high gain amps, in turn facilitating running more gain. I think the bridge sounds fine clean, although you'll need to turn down the volume or use a preamp with lots of clean headroom. I have heard better neck pickups for clean work though - I'm not 100% sure I'm going to keep the neck pickup long term.

steve_k":38fumyc0 said:
I find the Suhr Aldrich a little too thin and shrill for my tastes. Into a high gain amp, they seem to fall to pieces on top. That's just me though. Your results may differ.

What are your top hard rock pickup choices these days? I've used the Aldrich for a long time in my Les Paul, and it's been 'good.' Not great, but still very nice.

reverymike":3148ijkf said:
steve_k":3148ijkf said:

What are your top hard rock pickup choices these days? I've used the Aldrich for a long time in my Les Paul, and it's been 'good.' Not great, but still very nice.

For passive pick ups in the LP type guitars, anything toward the PAF type characteristics, especially with the gainer Marshall mods and stuff. MCP Detroiters and the equivalent BKP's too (can't remember off the top of my head).

Really digging EMG Het Set pick ups too on the active side.

The Hoff":2a68zf36 said:

Great description right here imo. They seem to be super hot and crunchy to the point of harshness. Kind of thin to my ears as well...kinda bright also

I was expecting alot more from them to be honest

Just get a set and try them bro. You are going to get a wide variety of opinions obviously. The "harsh" comments are coming from guys who apparently are very in tune to their gear, but some people are just overly sensitive to certain sonic textures. I am very sensitive (to a freakish level to some) of "high end" frequencies. Prior to getting some Freidmans and Camerons in the mix with Aldrich pickups, I would keep the treble and presence levels from 0-3 at most. Now I set my treble and presence levels at noon or btr....and that is with the Aldrichs! So this is coming from a guy who is always sniffing out high end "harshness". Doug Aldrich uses these pickups and , although some might not dig his tone, I am sure Doug isn't going for a thin, harsh tone......Can I get an "AMEN!!"

Too many people are now telling me they are harsh and do not clean up. :( Not talking about clean tones with the bridge pickup, I am talking cleaning up with the volume knob.

I am mostly goinf for classic hard rock and 90s hard rock and grunge tones. Amps are 20th Ann Bogner Shiva, PWE Event Horizon and 1998 Mesa Boogie Rectoverb.

Favorite bridge pickups to date are Rio Grande BBQ, Duncan Custom, PRS Dragon, WCR Godwood, Guitar Force Rebel Fire, Gibson Bill Lawrence circuit board pickups from '88-'89 and Motor City Torque.

richedie":2xjbmial said:
Too many people are now telling me they are harsh and do not clean up. :( Not talking about clean tones with the bridge pickup, I am talking cleaning up with the volume knob.

I am mostly goinf for classic hard rock and 90s hard rock and grunge tones. Amps are 20th Ann Bogner Shiva, PWE Event Horizon and 1998 Mesa Boogie Rectoverb.

Favorite bridge pickups to date are Rio Grande BBQ, Duncan Custom, PRS Dragon, WCR Godwood, Guitar Force Rebel Fire, Gibson Bill Lawrence circuit board pickups from '88-'89 and Motor City Torque.

Your best bet is to grab an Aldrich bridge PU and check it out yourself. You will get a thousand opinions on here about them and others. It is hotter than anything you referenced that you like though. They just didn't end up suiting me.

Steve

Back