What is the Diezel 'tone'?

I’ve owned the Herbert and Hagen. The Hagen was incredible, I kept it about 7 or 8 years and regretted trading it away. I’ll get another one some day for sure. I would describe it as polished clean and crisp sounding. A full bodied sound where the controls worked great, could get a great low mid thump but also could dial in the hair and sizzle if needed. Damn I miss it…

Herbert, while was amazing sounding, could get just brutal as hell with the mid cut section. It was good, but I found I didn’t actually like that mid cut at the time I had it, I was on the prowl for more mids. And I thought that the mid cut was the thing that really made it really different to my other amps, so I Sold it.

What @MetalHeadMike said was my experience with Diezel as well.

On paper the D-Moll seemed like a good alternative to my EVH 50W for gigging, and while the clean channel was easily top #3 best evah (for my taste), when it came to the drive channels, the thickish low-mid, almost fuzzy saturation could not be dialed out.
I found a tremendous deal on a used one, went there, money in hand, but after putting it through its paces, decided it was just not for me and walked away. But please note I wasn't looking for modern metal tones or anything, I wanted it to do 70's/80's stuff as well, and IMHO that wasn't its forte.

Having played the Herbert and the VH-4 as well years ago in a store, I could see the family similarities in certain traits and that thick, compressed and overly saturated (not flubby!!!) low-mid thing was present in all three.
It's just that the Herbert could be voiced a lot meaner than the D-Moll, what I can remember from it.

I also remember at the time, my take was 'if I were in a thrash metal band, this amp would be the ticket'. To me, it felt a bit lacking in versatility when it comes to convincing 60's/70's tones, but hey, no one joins a Shadows or Ventures tribute with a Herbert, methinks. ;-)
But for menacing gain tones, it was beastly. Big, bold, gnarly, just ever so slightly polished. Which my Engl Invader also suffers from btw, but it definitely wins in versatility.

Last edited:
The VH4 is great for running in a parallel with a more vintage-voiced amp, like a Superlead, JMP, 800, etc. Tons of low end and gain and compression and super tight. Pair that with an amp that has more of a barking mid-range and sweetness and not a lot of lows and you have a nice well-rounded, dynamic sound.

but hey, no one joins a Shadows or Ventures tribute with a Herbert, methinks

This just slammed my funny bone! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

vent.jpg

I don't find my VH4 very tight in the low end.

Smooth, polite, dark, balanced mids (higher than recto, lower than marshall), compressed.

Seems like a good blender amp but I generally don't like playing mine by itself most times.

Leads are pretty nice though.

I love my D-Moll with a SD-1 in front. Set the master and channel volumes higher and keep the drive knob lower. Then slam it with a boost. It really comes alive and makes up for a lot of the compression. It took me a while to figure it out, but this is the secret IMHO with this amp.

The other secret is to use the mid cut as a mid boost.

I have a Herbert. One of my favorite amps.

I play tuned pretty low though. The clarity and compression works for me.

Between my buddy I jam with, we have a couple different Oranges, a couple different 6505 variants, a couple Marshall variants, a Fryette, and some SS Randall stuff for old school thrash tones.

The Herbert is a different thing than those. Less cab specific than a lot of other amps, cleans are fantastic, ch2+ boosted is a fuckin monster. The Mid Cut is a great option, especially if it’s just us jamming and one of us is playing drums.

Try one if you can, it’s a great amp and I think it’d fit nicely in your stable, it doesn’t really sound like anything you mentioned above.

If you can find an early Blueface VH4 I have heard from guys I trust that they are special and are worth every penny.
The one above is a 1998 very first run of the silver face but blue spec per Peter and Billy Corgan who owned it before me.

Back