what is wrong with my uberschall?

lol

I barely use the thing and its been nothing but a plague. Random noises. Tube problems, bad power cable. Today, weird noises and an fx loop that cuts the volume drastically. Changed the fx loop tube, didn'tssolve the issue. I'm getting tired of this amp. Heres the noise. Would have been louderif the ffx loop was not engaged. Original version, not a rev model. Any ideas? Seems like every time I try to dump the thing something new happens. I'm sick of it.

https://soundcloud.com/georgecastanza/voice00033-amr

lol":k4pgj0mm said:
I barely use the thing and its been nothing but a plague. Random noises. Tube problems, bad power cable. Today, weird noises and an fx loop that cuts the volume drastically. Changed the fx loop tube, didn'tssolve the issue. I'm getting tired of this amp. Heres the noise. Would have been louderif the ffx loop was not engaged. Original version, not a rev model. Any ideas? Seems like every time I try to dump the thing something new happens. I'm sick of it.

https://soundcloud.com/georgecastanza/voice00033-amr

Jesus dude. That's rough. I know my old 5150 and another amp I had would cut out due to a dirty/corroded effects loop. I had volume drop but never a squeal like that. Damn.

Fx loop seems to be working fine again. Unplugging and replugging the delay pedal solved the volume drop issue. Not sure why that happened considering my delay is always in the loop. The noise, however, still happens.

And trust me, you don't want this thing. Its a damn curse

lol":24oigbux said:
Fx loop seems to be working fine again. Unplugging and replugging the delay pedal solved the volume drop issue. Not sure why that happened considering my delay is always in the loop. The noise, however, still happens.

I do well with curses. How much?

maddnotez":20mi2ihj said:
lol":20mi2ihj said:

Shoot me an offer lol. Buyer beware :p hell the gain channel light doesnt even come on anymore. I don't use it much because I don't do the br00tz anymore. I just hate it when my gear isnt working right. It seems fine now though. knocks on wood

lol":hv1wevkf said:
maddnotez":hv1wevkf said:
lol":hv1wevkf said:

Shoot me an offer lol. Buyer beware :p hell the gain channel light doesnt even come on anymore. I don't use it much because I don't do the br00tz anymore. I just hate it when my gear isnt working right. It seems fine now though. knocks on wood

You could probably bring it to a tech and have it fixed maybe? Idk much about tech stuff but I imagine it's fixable.

I was halfway joking. I actually just bought an Uberschall last week but damn if you were seriously ready to throw it in the trash I'd give you like $100 but Reza was first.

maddnotez":1amiqmuw said:
lol":1amiqmuw said:
maddnotez":1amiqmuw said:
lol":1amiqmuw said:

You could probably bring it to a tech and have it fixed maybe? Idk much about tech stuff but I imagine it's fixable.

I was halfway joking. I actually just bought an Uberschall last week but damn if you were seriously ready to throw it in the trash I'd give you like $100 but Reza was first.

I was mostly surprised that the volume cut was there even though I had my delay in. Just freaked me out a bit. I overreact. I did actually take it to a tech; not just for the power cable but the noise as well. He said he didnt hear anything out of the ordinary. But I swear when I first fire it up it squeals for a bit then stops. So far I have no heard it reoccur after playing for sometime after it makes the noise the first time I turn it on.

lol":22detpfy said:
maddnotez":22detpfy said:
maddnotez":22detpfy said:

I was mostly surprised that the volume cut was there even though I had my delay in. Just freaked me out a bit. I overreact. I did actually take it to a tech; not just for the power cable but the noise as well. He said he didnt hear anything out of the ordinary. But I swear when I first fire it up it squeals for a bit then stops. So far I have no heard it reoccur after playing for sometime after it makes the noise the first time I turn it on.

Is it only when you have the loop engaged? Could be a bad loop or something idk. Could be a lot of things.

I would send it to Jerry or someone reputable and just let them hold onto it for a while and figure it out since its intermittent.

maddnotez":3fc50rwh said:
lol":3fc50rwh said:

Is it only when you have the loop engaged? Could be a bad loop or something idk. Could be a lot of things.

I would send it to Jerry or someone reputable and just let them hold onto it for a while and figure it out since its intermittent.

Its pretty much always engaged. This is the first time itacted as if there was no pedal connected. So I freaked. Lol. I thought about sending it to jerry but I'm always weary about shipping amps. I'll see how it acts in the next few days

That noise is intense. That could be your band's intro. Kill the lights. Fire up the Uber and let it squeal like the pig from Lord of the Flies, then kick in with the brootz. Guaranteed crowd pleaser.

Sucks dude. I had an amp that would oscillate in some settings, but nothing like that.

Take some contact cleaner and spray the loop in/out inserts, and put a cable in and out right after. Cleans the jacks, I've had similar issues with old JCM 2205 and Jubilee loops.

cardinal":2dssvp0r said:
That noise is intense. That could be your band's intro. Kill the lights. Fire up the Uber and let it squeal like the pig from Lord of the Flies, then kick in with the brootz. Guaranteed crowd pleaser.

Sucks dude. I had an amp that would oscillate in some settings, but nothing like that.

What's funny is that my old band would have liked it. Especially considering that the other guitar playeralways used his line 6 and metal zone. Hell the ssquealing sounds better than that setup he was using. One of the reasons I quit rather quickly. I may drop it off to thetech today. I hate not having my gear. But Iwould love if Reinhold worked on my amp :D

this sounds like a faulty cap that's there for filtering.. a good amp tech should be able to fix this. Unless there's a PCB with a cold solder joint that does this, which takes forever to find. A friend of mine had a similar problem as he did not use his amp regularly and only fired it up once in a year literally, some of the caps dried out and stopped doing their job. let me know if you ever find out what the problem was. As the filtering caps charge the oscillation would add up in quicker cycles and then after a while the amp would sound.. normal... I suspect you will have a problem each time you let the amp sit for a while and then when it stabilizes, once you power it off and back on again it will sound ok (due to caps still being charged)

K-Roll":3lq32jn1 said:
this sounds like a faulty cap that's there for filtering.. a good amp tech should be able to fix this. Unless there's a PCB with a cold solder joint that does this, which takes forever to find. A friend of mine had a similar problem as he did not use his amp regularly and only fired it up once in a year literally, some of the caps dried out and stopped doing their job. let me know if you ever find out what the problem was. As the filtering caps charge the oscillation would add up in quicker cycles and then after a while the amp would sound.. normal... I suspect you will have a problem each time you let the amp sit for a while and then when it stabilizes, once you power it off and back on again it will sound ok (due to caps still being charged)

:rock: very good theory.

Definitely let us know what the verdict is. Hopefully it's something really small and easy.

thenine":1ny7raau said:
:LOL: :LOL: Anthony Weiner

The face right after his sexting scandal :LOL:

I was thinking a possible cap. All tubes are new and I rolled through too many only for it to do the same thing. Gonna fire her up right now and see if the noise happens again. If so, off to the tech and I'll update the post.

I appreciate all of your responses. You guys rock :thumbsup:

Back