what kind of Iron does Wizard use?

jcmtone1":3sdb9rbd said:
its the voicing of the amp not the transformers that make it sound that way...

i know, just wanting to know all the pieces of the puzzle.

finally found my square driver and tore apart my Wizard, all kinds of crap in there i didn't think i liked! :LOL: :LOL:

guess it truely is the Chef, and not the ingredients!

I was never sure about Mercury from clips i've heard of Metro builds, seemed gunkier than the Heyboer. also never thought i liked Orange drops, but guess what's in the Wizard! :scared:

Capulin Overdrive":2lwl5clw said:
jcmtone1":2lwl5clw said:

finally found my square driver and tore apart my Wizard, all kinds of crap in there i didn't think i liked! :LOL: :LOL:

I was never sure about Mercury from clips i've heard of Metro builds, seemed gunkier than the Heyboer. also never thought i liked Orange drops, but guess what's in the Wizard! :scared:
Amazing how that works eh?

Nothing wrong with Orange drops....I've used those for years. The Mercury transformers are custom winds of course.

I didnt know you had one. Just get it?

yea its the preamp / voicing , which wizard do you have? seen a bunch similar to a jubilee inside... sorta .... any good transformer will be fine, i learned the hard way $$ that transformers don't have sound, lol trust me !

dawnofdreamx97":3pqj6fkw said:
yea its the preamp / voicing , which wizard do you have? seen a bunch similar to a jubilee inside... sorta .... any good transformer will be fine, i learned the hard way $$ that transformers don't have sound, lol trust me !
Transformers affect the sound quite abit....

Greazygeo":bl84zugf said:
Capulin Overdrive":bl84zugf said:
jcmtone1":bl84zugf said:

Amazing how that works eh?

Nothing wrong with Orange drops....I've used those for years. The Mercury transformers are custom winds of course.

I didnt know you had one. Just get it?

i've had it atleast 6 months, maybe closer to a year now. :confused:

i usually keep a cat or two in the bag for awhile atleast! :LOL: :LOL:

i love the amp, it has the perfect mids for me, plus the bottom is pretty big. the Elmwood M90 is the closest i've came to the perfect voice, but it just didn't have enough poop in it's pants, does have more gain though.

Glad you like it Bro! I love mine... :yes:
Come to think about it, you do always keep some secret gear to yourself. :LOL: :LOL:

Hollywood":1u6pkmz1 said:
Come to think about it, you do always keep some secret gear to yourself. :LOL: :LOL:

hell, guess i never knew you had a Wizard either! :LOL: :LOL:

you still keep an Elmwood around?

Greazygeo":37be45rx said:
dawnofdreamx97":37be45rx said:
Transformers affect the sound quite abit....

Of course everything in amp will effect the tone and add up to the big picture but i'd hate to see a guy waste his time and money changing transformers thinking it's gonna fix everything, it really will not .... i think it's snake oil honestly. You'll hear more of a difference due to different primary impedance values from transformer to transformer. The main tone of the amp comes from the preamp and power section and good layout. I had Mercury, Heyboer, Hammond, and Magnetic Components output transformers all on the table for an amp i've been tinkering with. Long story short after lots of time, money and hours of listening, you'd be shocked how little difference between each of them, and which one worked the best... ( hammond!!! ) :rock: I think all the above companies make excellent products, and they all do dissipate heat differently which can effect the sound after playing the amp for over an hour on stage.... but just saying! :D

but like dave chappelle says "samson simpson i stick to my story!" - to me transformers don't have a sound.... :D

Capulin Overdrive":590i298m said:
i've had it atleast 6 months, maybe closer to a year now. :confused:

i usually keep a cat or two in the bag for awhile atleast! :LOL: :LOL:

i love the amp, it has the perfect mids for me, plus the bottom is pretty big. the Elmwood M90 is the closest i've came to the perfect voice, but it just didn't have enough poop in it's pants, does have more gain though.
Cool. They are good amps, good balance of gain to output. Alittle clunky in its features, like an old hotrod. :LOL: :LOL:

I don't use mine much, since I don't play out anymore. Everything is second fiddle to my 69 plexi.

dawnofdreamx97":1q2zlv9m said:
Of course everything in amp will effect the tone and add up to the big picture but i'd hate to see a guy waste his time and money changing transformers thinking it's gonna fix everything, it really will not .... i think it's snake oil honestly. You'll hear more of a difference due to different primary impedance values from transformer to transformer. The main tone of the amp comes from the preamp and power section and good layout. I had Mercury, Heyboer, Hammond, and Magnetic Components output transformers all on the table for an amp i've been tinkering with. Long story short after lots of time, money and hours of listening, you'd be shocked how little difference between each of them, and which one worked the best... ( hammond!!! ) :rock: I think all the above companies make excellent products, and they all do dissipate heat differently which can effect the sound after playing the amp for over an hour on stage.... but just saying! :D

but like dave chappelle says "samson simpson i stick to my story!" - to me transformers don't have a sound.... :D
Its all good, I've kinda been at it a long while. The power section and iron is where the magic happens for me. But I'm not a big preamp gain guy.

Capulin Overdrive":vhz85t61 said:
Hollywood":vhz85t61 said:

hell, guess i never knew you had a Wizard either! :LOL: :LOL:

you still keep an Elmwood around?
:yes: Elmwood is still here as well.

Don't you mean what kind and grade of iron does Mercury Magnetics use within their custom winds for Wizard ?

I do know that Wizard did experiment with various materials in their R & D phase for the transformers.

Back