What loop level do you use? +4 or -10

cvogue

So I was doing some tonal experiments (wife loves those... Not!) see the solo boost/OD2 thread...

While doing so though I noticed that the +4 loop setting sounds quieter and a little better than the -10 setting that I've been using forever. Hmm...

Wondering what you guys use and what you've got in your loop.

My loop has Zoom G3->TC Spark Boost (for clean boost)->Wampler Ethereal->MXR 10 band EQ.

The Ethereal and MXR EQ are on all the time pretty much as well as a thickening quick delay from the G3 (G3 does a lot of special purpose stuff for specific songs, chorus, delays etc...)

I've experienced the same as you.. the +4 does sound quieter than -10 on my Nitro as far as Noise levels. So I leave it at that with my G-Major 2 and Guup Tech Noise Gate/Gate that are in the loop.

I have a 2008 QuickRod, I always thought the -10 was for pedals? the +4 was for rack gear? I have always just kept it pushed in for the -10 option. I do find the FX loop noisy on that amp. Always has been, any ideas to lower that noise down? Thanks.

I have a 2008 QuickRod, I always thought the -10 was for pedals? the +4 was for rack gear? I have always just kept it pushed in for the -10 option. I do find the FX loop noisy on that amp. Always has been, any ideas to lower that noise down? Thanks.
Yeah that's the conventional wisdom, -10 for pedals (instrument level) and +4 for rack (line level) gear. But some rigs aren't so cut and dried. The send goes to my Zoom G3 (mfx) first and I swear it sounds cleaner and quieter at +4.

At the end of the day I don't think you'll hurt anything by using +4 vs. -10, pick whatever sounds better.

Regarding the noise in your loop... others can chime in but I seem to remember Scott improving the loop quite a bit on the later models.

Yeah that's the conventional wisdom, -10 for pedals (instrument level) and +4 for rack (line level) gear. But some rigs aren't so cut and dried. The send goes to my Zoom G3 (mfx) first and I swear it sounds cleaner and quieter at +4.

At the end of the day I don't think you'll hurt anything by using +4 vs. -10, pick whatever sounds better.

Regarding the noise in your loop... others can chime in but I seem to remember Scott improving the loop quite a bit on the later models.

I've got loops on a 2009 Street Rod, a newer Super Comp and a much newer Mini-Competition, and I've only used pedals with them and they're as quiet as any loop I've had on any amp. I have about 25 tube amps. They're fantastic loops. Hopefully those of you have a noisy loop ,maybe it's just related to your send/return levels and your input/output levels on your rack fx, as gain structure can cause noise if it's not set up optimally . Best of luck

Eric

Last edited:
Back