what neck pickup are you guys using on your les pauls?

mooncobra":tg2fzrrb said:
I am switching the pickups out on 2 les pauls. I got a pair of second degree black belts for one, and the other not so sure about. I have to replace the wiring anyways because its a mess in there. I posted a pic of it here, and many of you said to replace the wiring and get new wiring harness because of the mess in there.

I am trying to think of how to describe what I like in terms of neck pickups, I guess I could say I like the 59 over the jazz. I don't like it too flubby(I like the bridge pickup to be tight, articulate and defined, guess the neck could be similar) and want decent touch sensitivity, and want the pickup to remain definition and stay clear. a lot of neck pickups kind of sound mushy. I usually prefer a medium output pickup.

thanks!

Motor City Detroiter's in one, WCR Icebuckers in the other.

I have 3 LP's and my favorite are the Duncan Antiquities I have in a R7 Goldtop, both bridge and neck just kill it in that guitar. I have a BB in the neck of my BB7 3 PU LPC RI that I was slightly surprised that I like it enough to keep it..swapped out the bridge with a Duncan Custom Custom. I have a set of 36th Anniversary DiMarzios in a Traditional plus that also are really good.

I'm a mid to lower output pickup guy and strive for that classic glassy smooth and silky neck pickup tone and all 3 of those I mention work well for what my ears want to hear. As with anything..its subjective ;)

tried in an LP:
Duncans
Jazz=clear, but very meh. No organic qualities to speak of.
'59n=boomy, slightly scooped, meh... need to try it with a different mag one day.
A2P=thick and juicy, but slightly mushy. Needs more sparkle.

DiMarzio
36th Anniv PAF=lovely, clear, defined, nice character, beautiful tone. In one Les Paul I want something more pushed, so I'm contemplating a Pearly Gates neck.
SuperD=high powered, RAWK, but because of output, not my first choice if you want clear. Split tone=meh.
Air Norton=between SuperD and 36th PAF in output, 'push' and clarity. Quite thick and juicy, but clearer than an A2P. Splits GORGEOUSLY.

I will say that years ago, I switched from a JB/59 set in my #1 Les Paul (Burny RR Custom) to a set GFS's: Crunchy PAT bridge, Vintage '59 neck.
That neck pup was a real improvement over the Duncan 59. For awhile I thought the same of the bridge pup, but I grew disenchanted with its lack of character after a while.
Right now, there's a Custom/59 Hybrid bridge :thumbsup: and a 36th Anniv PAF neck in there, which may become a PGn.

LP neck pickups that have worked extremely well for me - Wolfetone Marshallhead, MCP T Wreck, and BKP Black Dog. All of these are fantastic.

If you want something that thinks completely outside the box.....I have one Les Paul I needed a zebra neck pickup for and all I had laying around at the time was a Duncan Custom. So, I stuck it in the neck slot BUT instead of wiring it in series I permanently wired it in parallel. Its bright and chimey and has a certain single coil quality about it. Its almost piano like, and its hum free. I did this about a dozen years ago and never found a need to change it!

I have burst buckers in my 2007 Blonde Beauty and it makes my mesa MkIII come to life. My notes show me ordering 4 push/pull jimmy page drop in set up for my ‘14 seafoam classic LP but I don’t think I have burst buckers in it. I sold the classic 57 and super 57 on reverb years ago.

Back