What Speaker to Pair with G12T75 - 1960A Cab?

Bad.Seed

Recently came up on a 1960a JCM 900 cab for cheap.

I've never loved these cabs, as the G12T75's just seem to be missing a little something. I tried this cab out with my Bogner Helios Eclipse and Ceriatone Chupacabra last night and it didn't sound bad by any means, but oper usual, the cab just sounded muffled to me.

I know pairing 2 v30's and 2 75's ina popular combo, and I'm thinking it might add what I'm looking for, but are there any other speakers that pair well with 75's to add some presence, mids and tightness?

sotosprince":1j5ylrer said:
WGS Veteran 30s ;)
WGS makes some great sounding speakers, the ET65 is damn close to a Celestion 65. But, I found at higher volumes the Celestion kinda takes over and overpowers the WGS. I had a G12 65 next to an ET65 in an SLO 2x12 combo...and once I turned it up past 2 it sounded like a 1x12 combo.
I think if you don't want to go V30/T75 I'd give 65s a shot. Original or the Heritages, they are almost dead nuts to the original.

WGS have been on my radar for a while but I've never pulled the trigger. I'll keep them in mind, no doubt.

What I have on hand is:
A Line6 cab with v30's that I scored for $100, no problem gutting that for experimentation
A Peavey 412 Butcher cab with K85's that I got for free. Not sure how the 85 would pair with the 75 though

Bad.Seed":vk83mzrq said:
WGS have been on my radar for a while but I've never pulled the trigger. I'll keep them in mind, no doubt.

What I have on hand is:
A Line6 cab with v30's that I scored for $100, no problem gutting that for experimentation
A Peavey 412 Butcher cab with K85's that I got for free. Not sure how the 85 would pair with the 75 though
I have one of those, paid 200 for it. Honestly a great cab for twice the price. I have it next to a 79 Marshall cab with 65s and it has less mids for sure. But, not as scooped as the 900 T75s you have. Might be a good combo.
If you can find a couple early 75s, with the vented magnets they have a TON of mids and don't resemble the later versions at all. Those really do sound like high powered greenies like they were advertised as. That would fill in the mids you don't have on the later 75s.

I get that T75s lack mids, and their low efficiency rating exacerbates that deficiency.
So...turn up your midrange...
T75s handle copious amounts of dialed in midrange.

Was mixing v30 and T75s and just last weekend thru a Redback into the mix. Sounds really good. The RB adds some nice lower mids and balances the v30 sizzle a little.

getpubthumb

The t75 and v30 combination is tried and true, not that it matters, but it is a friendly combo.

Just like the OP, I bought a used '90s Marshall JCM 900 4x12 cab with only 2 Celestion G12T-75 speakers installed in it/D2F speaker cover included from Guitar Showcase in San Jose, CA a number of years ago. I decided to try out using mixed speakers of different sounds & wattage ratings, starting with the Celestion Vintage 30 speakers which sounded great on its own. I bought a used Celestion U.K. & MIC Vintage 30 speakers for the missing 12" speakers in my 4x12 cab. I enjoyed that the G12T-75 speakers brought to the overall sound by adding the bass & treble with the Vintage 30 speakers projecting the mids. Used it for a few years, but always felt the Vintage 30 speakers dominated the cabs sound on its own and was looking for a different sound.

I saw the Friedman 4x12 speaker cabs with the Greenback/Vintage 30 speaker mix, and decided to install a pair of Celestion G12C speakers that were pulled from a Marshall Vintage Modern 4x12 cab. The faster breakup of the G12C speakers along with the Vintage 30 speaker's punchy sound was the combination that I was looking for. To me, it's the classic Marshall cab sounds combined in one cabinet, instead of having a 4x12 cab with Greenback speakers and a 4x12 cab with Vintage 30 speakers onstage. It matched up with the sound my Rocktron Vendetta 100 watt tube head. I've been pretty happy with this combination and will stay with it for now.

Guitar George

Attachments

• Celestion G12C and Vintage 30 speakers.jpg
    Celestion G12C and Vintage 30 speakers.jpg
    443.9 KB · Views: 1,121
  • Celestion G-12T75 and Vintage 30 speakers.jpg
    Celestion G-12T75 and Vintage 30 speakers.jpg
    344.2 KB · Views: 1,047
Last edited:
napalmdeath":2yjd3eph said:
swamptrashstompboxes":2yjd3eph said:
The t75 and v30 combination is tried and true, not that it matters, but it is a friendly combo.

Yep. Only thing better is K100's/V30's.

Totally agree. I have two k85/v30 cabs, great tones for days. The t75/v30 is pretty much fail proof in a general sense for me anyways. I have two cabs that way. Then the others are assortments varying from greenbacks and Jensen, small blocks to webers.

There are some really good sounding Weber speakers out there. Only problem is that there are too many. Lol. I have six Weber speakers and none of them are the same. Lol. The high dollar Alnico Weber speakers are some of the best I have heard for that tone.

I'm necrobumping my thread, due to the fact I picked up an old Yamah 412 cab with T75's, and GC sent it to me missing 2 speakers. LOL

They're going to partiall refund me, leaving me a grand total of $50 into the cab.

I am getting 2 k85's from a buddy this week. Anyone ever try pairing a k85/k100 with a t75?

Bad.Seed":3fv3z8xj said:
Recently came up on a 1960a JCM 900 cab for cheap.

I've never loved these cabs, as the G12T75's just seem to be missing a little something. I tried this cab out with my Bogner Helios Eclipse and Ceriatone Chupacabra last night and it didn't sound bad by any means, but oper usual, the cab just sounded muffled to me.

I know pairing 2 v30's and 2 75's ina popular combo, and I'm thinking it might add what I'm looking for, but are there any other speakers that pair well with 75's to add some presence, mids and tightness?

I know what you mean about the 1960 cab with T75s. I've had mine a long time and it's never been one of my favorite cabs, although my Uber sounds pretty good through it. I recently swapped out two of the T75s for a pair of WGS Veteran 30s. I like it better than with just T75s, but I have a couple of Scumback M75s that I'm going to try in it instead of the Veteran 30s.

skullfxr":pmd0tkg4 said:
napalmdeath":pmd0tkg4 said:
swamptrashstompboxes":pmd0tkg4 said:

Yep. Only thing better is K100's/V30's.

Totally agree. I have two k85/v30 cabs, great tones for days. The t75/v30 is pretty much fail proof in a general sense for me anyways. I have two cabs that way. Then the others are assortments varying from greenbacks and Jensen, small blocks to webers.

There are some really good sounding Weber speakers out there. Only problem is that there are too many. Lol. I have six Weber speakers and none of them are the same. Lol. The high dollar Alnico Weber speakers are some of the best I have heard for that tone.

My Peavey cab with the K85s has been my go-to cab forever. I've considered swapping out a couple of them for V30s or even something else, but in all honesty, I like it so much as is, why mess with it? Maybe one day I'll get around to it. It's just a pain in the ass to swap speakers back and forth all the time. :no:

Depends on which G12T-75 you're using... The UK made T75 is basically a higher wattage G12-65. I've never understood the logic on mixing speakers in an X pattern. Not unless you're going to stand directlly in-front of the cabinet while playing. You may not be referring to X pattern... I was just commenting.

I'm necrobumping my thread, due to the fact I picked up an old Yamah 412 cab with T75's, and GC sent it to me missing 2 speakers. LOL

They're going to partiall refund me, leaving me a grand total of $50 into the cab.

I am getting 2 k85's from a buddy this week. Anyone ever try pairing a k85/k100 with a t75?
Damn man! I got a Marshall 1960b which came with 75s and I ve been thinking of getting 2 k85s - x pattern thing! Also, I ve tried the V30s but they are 3 dbs louder and they tend to go louder than the 75s

For now, I just threw in some 6505 Speakers I had laying in boxes. The combo actually doesn't sound bad! A little dark on the top end, but that can be fixed with EQ. Other than that, it works for now until I can decide on suitable replacements.

I recorded a little playthrough with my Peavey Triumph and was surprised it didn't sound half bad.

Back