What super strats for 80s hard rock and metal?

jchrisf

I was a kid in the 80s and loved the music. I don't play anything else. My version of hard rock is ACDC and early Def Leppard. My version of metal is Dokken, Ratt, Ozzy.. I don't get into Metallica or heavier.

What are the best super strats for playing this style of music? Really looking for H-S-S style guitar that is ready to rock.

A nice Jackson Soloist or a Charvel so cal or pro mod should be fine.
This Jackson screams 80s and has been the one I've had my eye on. I was just worried that now they are not owned by Jackson, they don't have the same quality? I really like the looks of the Kramer SM1 too because of the one Troy Stetina had on the cover of Speed Mechanics.

I do own a Charvel model 2 from 88 but I have a lot of trouble accessing the higher frets because of the huge neck joint. Are the newer ones more accessable?

2911000500_gtr_frt_001_rr.png

Call me crazy, but you can probably find a deal on a MIA Neck Thru Carvin with a Floyd.
Yep, there's a good deal right now here in the classifieds. Under 1K, OFR and case.

That said, if I were ordering new I'd order a Chub. Made in USA, with the same or similar specs to a Charvel Custom shop for 1/2 the price and a 6 month wait vs 2 yrs or more for the Charvel.

I'm taking it that you own a Chubtone? I know Nick Layton has one and says he loves it. They have got to be the best bang for buck according to the prices I'm seeing but how do they play?

No, not sure why that says my site.....I copied and pasted their link.
Anyways, not my company, but I do have a Chubtone, and the thing sounds and plays awesome....yes, best bang for the buck by far.

This Jackson screams 80s and has been the one I've had my eye on. I was just worried that now they are not owned by Jackson, they don't have the same quality? I really like the looks of the Kramer SM1 too because of the one Troy Stetina had on the cover of Speed Mechanics.

I do own a Charvel model 2 from 88 but I have a lot of trouble accessing the higher frets because of the huge neck joint. Are the newer ones more accessable?

2911000500_gtr_frt_001_rr.png
That one is perfectly fine, I had that exact model and it was a killer guitar. It has the "speed neck" profile which is probably the comfiest Jackson neck for me, and I've owned probably 70-80 Jacksons and Charvels over the years if not more. The Duncan Distortion in the bridge is perfect for what you are looking for. Also note that the crackle patterns are all unique on this model, so you may want to buy from someplace that shows you the actual guitar (or willing to get pictures) if that matters to you.

I've also had 2 of the current Kramer SM1 models...the first was fantastic, the second needed a fret dress pretty badly. That's the most likely roll of the dice with a lot of these imports at this price point including the Jackson...inconsistent fret work. If you get a good one and are willing to get/perform a dress/set-up potentially, honestly they can be a huge value.

I say get a guitar that both visually appeals to you as well as can be setup to be a good player, it will be more enjoyable in the long run.

Maybe a fender strat with different pickups? I have a usa strat with a full size super distortion/paf 36th anniversary combination. My favorite guitar
That's what I did. HSS MIM Strat with the Super D. Vintage trem is super easy on the string changes.

Charvel Model 6 if you want a neck-through, (Most play as good or better than their US Jackson Soloists brothers)
Jackson Adrain Smith SDX if you're on a budget ($400-$450)
Any Charvel (Jap Pro Mod's have FANTASTIC necks)
Kramer USA Pacer,
Kramer Focus 3000
Kramer Staemaster
Bc Rich St III (USA)
Jackson Soloist Professional (Japan-early 90's)
80's ESP Mirage (Kramers of the '80s were actually made by ESP, so same guitars basically)
Ibanez RG Series-"450" or higher number (i.e. 550, 650, 770, etc) MUST BE made in Japan (Wizard 1 neck a MUST; be prepared though. THINNEST neck you will ever play!)
A couple of Fenders: Powerhouse strat. HM strat, Dave Murray signature- all have faster neck shapes. upgraded tremolos, high output pickups.

Back