What to do...

shade

I sold my Quickrod recently and I'm thinking it's time to try an Eggy... I'm torn between a Mod 50 and a Renegade (now) with the addition of an E2 when they come out.

I'm thinking option 2 essentially gives me two extra channels and the flexibility of the power tube mix knob. Cost is close...

Why would I want a Mod 50 instead?

shade":1sf8dsz3 said:
So back to the question...

What advantage to a Mod 50 over Renegade + E2?

With the renegade, you only get 5881s and EL34s. No parallel effects loop.

W/ the Mod50...you can put ANY tubes in there. you have 2 effects loops.

Both are killer setups.

Good points... a definite plus on the Mod 50 for the parallel loop (never used one so I'm not sure I'd miss it).

Really a trade off on tubes, right? Mod 50 = total flexibility in tube choice but requires a tube swap to use vs Renegade = only two tube choices but you can "on the fly" (sort of) go from 6l6 to el34 or a variable blend of the two.

Anything else?

I'd go with the Renegade + E2..... just because that's what I'll probably do! :D

nah, kidding. The Mod50 seems like an AWESOME amp, I'd love to own one, but seriously with the E2 + Renegade you have either a 4 channel amp or two separate amps (in case you buy a poweramp for E2) to me seems moreflexible.

btw, can someone clarify it for me, the E2 is basically a 2 channel preamp right? I can hook it up to my renegade and use its poweramp?

but how can I make it a 4 channel amp without bypassing the renegade's preamp when I connect the E2 ?

I prefer serial loops, so I wouldn't have any use for the Mod50s parallel one.

What is important for me though is to have the loop switchable, which is the case on the Renegade. Plus it has reverb, which is extra on the Mod50 (and then costs you the parallel loop).

Mod50 is made in USA, Renegade is made in China, so I would assume that the Mod50 is superior in build and quality. However, the Renegade I played in Frankfurt was great, not sure how much better the Mod poweramp section would sound.

My understanding of the E2 was that it was a two slot modular and comes with your choice of two modules.... that makes Renegade + E2 6 channels with four mix and match channels.

Not sure how the master volume thing works out... could be an important distinction. I figured you still had independent volumes on the modules so balancing between the E2 and Renegade channels wouldn't be a big deal.

Most of us that have a Mod50 are running the verbs and delays in the parallel loop. I just started separating the delays / verbs / choruses over to the parallel loop, and its amazing sounding. I could NOT imagine NOT having a parallel loop anymore. I use 2 Lexicon MPXG2s, and got a friend that uses 2 TC Electronics G Major II run in a similar fashion. One in the serial loop, one in the parallel loop. Use the parallel for my delays / verbs / choruses...and the series for my gates / tremelos / flangers / etc.

Just sounds way better than when I put everything in the series loop. YMMV though.

Eric

Joeytpg":1w8hzzxh said:
I'd go with the Renegade + E2..... just because that's what I'll probably do! :D

nah, kidding. The Mod50 seems like an AWESOME amp, I'd love to own one, but seriously with the E2 + Renegade you have either a 4 channel amp or two separate amps (in case you buy a poweramp for E2) to me seems moreflexible.

btw, can someone clarify it for me, the E2 is basically a 2 channel preamp right? I can hook it up to my renegade and use its poweramp?

but how can I make it a 4 channel amp without bypassing the renegade's preamp when I connect the E2 ?

So the cabling would be like this:

Guitar -> E2 input
E2 preamp send -> Renegade input
Renegade Send -> E2 Preamp return
E2 output -> Renegade Return

So...basically the E2 has a switching system inside of it to be able to switch between the 2 modules and the amp's preamp.

Eric

aeroic":4ymcriug said:
Joeytpg":4ymcriug said:

Guitar -> E2 input

So...basically the E2 has a switching system inside of it to be able to switch between the 2 modules and the amp's preamp.

Eric

oh ok, NICE..... so it was thought out for that right?

Joeytpg":pwyvhurc said:
aeroic":pwyvhurc said:
Joeytpg":pwyvhurc said:

Guitar -> E2 input

Eric

oh ok, NICE..... so it was thought out for that right?

Yes it was. It was meant to be used with any normal amp that has a serial effects loop, so you can use both your normal amp's preamp...and the E2's modules.

Definitely a killer setup.

Eric

I've heard of people not liking parallel loops, but it makes sense that it could sound better having your dry signal not run through your delay/chorus, I've never had one of either that didn't color the sound...

Can't remember what the complaint was about the parallel though....?

shade":2mk71x8r said:
I've heard of people not liking parallel loops, but it makes sense that it could sound better having your dry signal not run through your delay/chorus, I've never had one of either that didn't color the sound...

Can't remember what the complaint was about the parallel though....?

i had a amp that ONLY had a parallel loop, and hated it, because I couldn't do volume swells, proper gating, etc. That's typically the issues ppl have. Having BOTH is the best. The series is killer by itself. Move stuff like verbs and delays and choruses to the parallel, but still keeping the trem / gates / flanges in the series is the best of both worlds.

Bruce did a KILLER job designing this.

Eric

so what type of fx are better running in parallel and which ones in serial?

for example I own:

Delay pedal
multi fx unit which I only use the delays/reverbs/ modulation/ wah/gate (it's a boss ME-50)

?

Joeytpg":19l0o3ub said:
so what type of fx are better running in parallel and which ones in serial?

for example I own:

Delay pedal
multi fx unit which I only use the delays/reverbs/ modulation/ wah/gate (it's a boss ME-50)

?

I run 2 multi effects units. 1 in each loop.

Series -> I run my tremelo effects, filter effects, flanges, univybe, rotary speakers, gates, etc.
Parallel -> I run my Delays, reverbs, choruses in parallel.

Back