What tuner pedal are you using ?

Bash_Man

What tuner pedal do you have/use ? If you use one that is.

If you don't use one, then please do not post a reply.

Thanks

Right now I'm using a Korg DT1 pro rack tuner. It works pretty well. I plan on getting a Petersons Strobostomp at some point; hopefully sooner than later.

20231226_172621.jpg

I'm using the TC Electronic Polytune 3. The buffer is killer, but it's also defeatable. The screen is nice and bright's. It's fairly accurate. The polyphonic tuning thing is kind of a gimmick. It honestly doesn't work all that well in Drop C, but the chromatic tuning works fine. It's mostly the buffer that I like, honestly.

I had a Boss TU-3. I actually had two. They suck. I mean, they tune fine. They're bright. They're reliable. But the buffer fucking blows. Anything higher output than a vintage single coil clipped the buffer when strumming hard.

I also had a Planet Waves Tru Strobe Pedal Tuner. Hated it. It felt like the tuner had anxiety attacks. Tuning was super slow and cumbersome. The finish got tarnished super fast. Ugh.

I actually kinda sorta liked how the TU-3 tuned on the fly. Like... 0.01% better? But man... that fucking buffer.

Last edited:
I'm using the TC Electronic Polytune 3. The buffer is killer, but it's also defeatable. The screen is nice and bright's. It's fairly accurate. The polyphonic tuning thing is kind of a gimmick. It honestly doesn't work all that well in Drop C, but the chromatic tuning works fine. It's mostly the buffer that I like, honestly.

I had a Boss TU-3. I actually had two. They suck. I mean, they tune fine. They're bright. They're reliable. But the buffer fucking blows. Anything higher output than a vintage single coil clipped the buffer when strumming hard.

I also had a Planet Waves Tru Strobe Pedal Tuner. Hated it. It felt like the tuner had anxiety attacks. Tuning was super slow and cumbersome. The finish got tarnished super fast. Ugh.

I actually kinda sorta liked how the TU-3 tuned on the fly. Like... 0.01% better? But man... that fucking buffer.
Thank you Rex. That's actually the tuner I've been eying for quiet sometime now. I have the digital version on my computer and it works great.

I've been using a TU2 since like 2006.

I think I'm going to pick up a polytune in the near future though, stick one of them on my pedal train to keep at home, and another on a smaller board for band playing out.

Anyone know what has happened to Sonic Research? Their tuners have not been available in Europe for a long time AFAIK.

I had the exact same experience. I love my Polytune 3 Mini (Noir) and that buffer is indeed killer, it's the TC Electronic Bonafide Buffer. Everything just sounds right when that pedal is first in my chain and set to buffer. By way of comparison, when the TU-3 is inline, the sound is noticeably "tizzy" sounding, like I dialed in some artificial high end frequencies with an EQ pedal. I also felt it took too long to get in tune and the needle was jumpy.

Back