What!!???

Exo-metal

Took these off the net but are they really in the keys as seen here...
20221115_183349.jpg
20221115_183425.jpg
20221115_183455.jpg
20221115_183546.jpg

Last edited:
They look in key but it’s just an odd way of showing you the notes laid out . Maybe that’s how he visualized it himself so he did that . Weird presentation but this does happen

They look in key but it’s just an odd way of showing you the notes laid out . Maybe that’s how he visualized it himself so he did that . Weird presentation but this does happen
I could be wrong but the root note is the key for the scale. These look like variations of E, E, D, and E to me.

Last edited:
I could be wrong but the root note is the key for the scale. These look like variations of E, E, D, a d E again to me.
They are not showing a key . It’s just notes laid out then they tell you the key . It literally is saying here’s the batch of notes he wants used and how he sees the key . All of the these could be other modes and keys . It’s really just here’s how he sees it in his mind

As examples of licks then let it fly. Love all the patterns. If it needed to be posted I knew it was here.

Afa the keys, I would like someone to explain in a very simple way how they are in the keys other than how see them one by one. I know about modes and the scale can be extended lower or higher but the root of where it begins determins the key as I understand it.

These are based around the idea of some of the voicings, but they're not correct. Or rather, they're not consistently sticking to those scales. For example in 'Harmonic minor Lick B', it has both a M7 and m7 in the pattern. So it's actually loosely based off of a melodic minor idea rather than a harmonic minor. 'Diminished Lick C' borrows from some diminished intervals, but it's not a diminished scale. A diminished scale is a symmetrical scale of alternating whole and half steps, and he abandons that by the end.

Here's the tricky thing, you can make any scale or mode shape sounds like any mode. If you play a G Major scale over a G Major chord it'll sound like the Major scale. Play it over a big distorted B power chord and suddenly you're playing Phrygian. B is really your root note, but you can wind up to it with the G and A notes proceeding it. Play the same scale pattern over a C chord, and suddenly you sound like Steve Vai and are playing Lydian. So it can be a little confusing as you expand the modes and connecting scale patterns out over the whole fingerboard, and usually takes my students several weeks for it to click, but once it does they're ripping all over the fingerboard in any mode and key once they can visualize the fingerboard like a highway with all of the exits you can take to get to any city or town (scale or mode) that they want to. So unfortunately, the starting note of a pattern doesn't necessarily indicate the key. I'll often start a phrase on a chord tone, so in say the key of Em, I might bend an F# note up to sound like a G note to begin a phrase, or start a Locian shape as a big shreddy windup to a passage, but I'm not in the key of F# Phrygian, I'm still in E Aeolian (natural minor).

How's that for a long answer? :)

As examples of licks then let it fly. Love all the patterns. If it needed to be posted I knew it was here.

Afa the keys, I would like someone to explain in a very simple way how they are in the keys other than how see them one by one. I know about modes and the scale can be extended lower or higher but the root of where it begins determins the key as I understand it.
Memorize the modes of music one key first . G major is also E minor so I would that key first . After you learn all 7 modes in that key then you will realize that all 7 modes share the same notes . So thise notes making G major all can be done ne of the those 7 keys . It all depends what the root of the main riff is behind your jamming . Once you have all 7 memorized it’s easy to explain and see . But leerning the modes really good on one key first is what makes it click .

A cool simple pattern is:
4-5-7 on the low E
then move up a fret and up a string and instead of your middle finger use the ring finger (along with index and pinky), so
5-7-8 on the A string
then up a fret and up a string and then switch back to your middle finger along with index and pinky so
6-7-9 on the D string
and so on; always up a fret and up a string, switch the 'inner' finger. And of course remember to account for the dumb B string so its up 2 frets (or down 2 frets if you're going down).

Play with that and then listen to the run here:

A cool simple pattern is:
4-5-7 on the low E
then move up a fret and up a string and instead of your middle finger use the ring finger (along with index and pinky), so
5-7-8 on the A string
then up a fret and up a string and then switch back to your middle finger along with index and pinky so
6-7-9 on the D string
and so on; always up a fret and up a string, switch the 'inner' finger. And of course remember to account for the dumb B string so its up 2 frets (or down 2 frets if you're going down).

Play with that and then listen to the run here:

That's not really a pattern as much as it's more of a straight scale but I follow you. There's a lot to pull from that.

Back