What's a great boost to get 90s and later metal out of a higher gain marshall style amp.

motorboy1

Trying a savage drive currently but its noisy and not quite the sound I'm looking for. So I have an SD1, JHS bonzai and ZW44. Covers the 80s metal tones great. Im looking for 90s and later metal tones with some grind. Dropped D chugga stuff. What are you guys using that gives that wall of sound. I want to try a

Duality DX - Deadweald Audio

but they are way on backorder.

Last edited:
I've used a Boss GE-7 as a boost for years. It's just a simple EQ pedal. Crank the output level, trim off the exact amount of bass you need to trim to kill the mud, and you're there.

However if you want to go with a more traditional route and get an overdrive pedal with an additional distortion stage, I'd go with a Boss SD-1. Simple and inexpensive, bulletproof, and absolutely killer with Marshall amps.

OD1X is very quiet and doesn’t cut your low end; while still tightening and adds upper mids. I have an 86 SD1 too but it’s noisier and cuts lows. I also had the Savage drive and agree it’s too noisy

For this specific purpose I like the KSR Eros.

It's got a full bmt tone stack and you can switch from a straight full frequency boost to a couple different clipping options.

The low end also has a three way toggle that's useful going from different pickup and amp types.

Finally, it's relatively inexpensive and available. Middle of the road.

For a higher end pedal, I would suggest a Peppers dirty tree, or a nice klone (work great with Marshalls) and for an ultra low end pedal, a cheap TS with a clean blend like the voodoo sparkle drive.

I think it depends what type of metal tone you're going for. SD-1 and TD9 or 808 work but might not be what you're looking for. A GEQ can help shape a lot. Most metal type pedals are aimed a lot at thinning certain frequencies for tighter response (and thinner low end), if you want something to add some meat a lot of metal style pedals might be working against that tone.

I'll second Dan's vote above for an Eros--it's versatile and works a lot differently than other pedals. It might be easier to point you in the right direction if we knew the idealized tone

Great ideas guys. So I have an SD1, JHS bonzai and ZW44. Covers the 80s metal tone great. Guess Im looking for 90s metal tones with some grind. Dropped D chugga stuff.

OD1X is very quiet and doesn’t cut your low end; while still tightening and adds upper mids. I have an 86 SD1 too but it’s noisier and cuts lows. I also had the Savage drive and agree it’s too noisy

Have an 86 too, but i didn't notice any noise. I like how it cut the low end just enough to tighter the palm mutes, but not as much like a TS style pedal.

Have an 86 too, but i didn't notice any noise. I like how it cut the low end just enough to tighter the palm mutes, but not as much like a TS style pedal.
Not truly ‘noisy’ like the Savage Drive but it has some compared to the OD1X

This is on my list for sure
Was gonna recommend it here too, but Jeff beat me to it lol

I like the Dino much more than the Savage, Mud Killer, Duality DX, Fortin’s, Precision Drive, KSR Eros and others I’ve had if you’re looking for a tight, modern flavored boost. Didn’t actually like the other Protone’s I had as much (2 versions of misha mansoor overdrive and Keith merrow overdrive)

Trying a savage drive currently but its noisy and not quite the sound I'm looking for. So I have an SD1, JHS bonzai and ZW44. Covers the 80s metal tones great. Im looking for 90s and later metal tones with some grind. Dropped D chugga stuff. What are you guys using that gives that wall of sound. I want to try a

Duality DX - Deadweald Audio

but they are way on backorder.
I don't find the Savage Drive noisy at all, and I've owned several versions.

Cusack Screamer might be worth looking at.

Xotic BB
Precision Drive
Maybe an "amp in a box" through a cleaner channel?

Different amp? Something with 6L6's. Sometimes Marshalls aren't the right amp for some things.

I think it depends what type of metal tone you're going for. SD-1 and TD9 or 808 work but might not be what you're looking for. A GEQ can help shape a lot. Most metal type pedals are aimed a lot at thinning certain frequencies for tighter response (and thinner low end), if you want something to add some meat a lot of metal style pedals might be working against that tone.

I'll second Dan's vote above for an Eros--it's versatile and works a lot differently than other pedals. It might be easier to point you in the right direction if we knew the idealized tone
I actually use a ts9 and boss 7 band to get the Uber right . Both together wirk quite well

I think you will need a different amp. The problem is that Marshall doesn't do the different 90s metal. While many of the thrash metal bands and NWOBHM stayed with Marshall a lot of new metal bands in the 90s turned to Mesa Boogie including grunge. The Peavey is also the metal amp of the 90s. 5150 and 6505+. I own several Marshalls and this is where they fall short. Basically being a Mesa Boogie or 5150, lol.

VFE Dragon

I'd also say the Dragon. Used one with a Wizard MCII, which is not a Marshall but not worlds apart, and it can be set to add a lot of that thick, saturated, compressed wall of sound type gain and voicing.
I'd also look at the Mesa Goldmine. It kind of adds a touch of that Mesa Recto thing IMO...Low mids, not super tight, thick, big sound.

Last edited:
Back