What's Cooking?

I'm getting old and it seems I use less and less seasonings and more often than not I'm just using salt and pepper. One of my favorites these days is Thomas Keller's roasted chicken. I use a LOT of salt on it but that and a little black pepper and that's it.

Pro tips:
Don't get a big bird, I try for ~4# and think 5# or bigger is too big.
Truss it, it makes a difference.
Dry it completely.
Season liberally.
Use a rack under the bird or it will be crispy on top and soggy on bottom.

@SpiderWars

Ever tried a bundt cake chicken?
Easy one pot meal and the chicken cooks/crisps nice and evenly.

cix.jpg

@SpiderWars

Ever tried a bundt cake chicken?
Easy one pot meal and the chicken cooks/crisps nice and evenly.

View attachment 81136
Never tried it but to be honest that looks like a recipe for overcooked breast or undercooked thighs. I'm all about that dark meat. I eat the leg and thigh as roast chicken and make something else (rice/soup/casserole) with the breast.

One of the details of that Thomas Keller recipe is that adding any extra oil/fresh herbs/lemons/etc adds moisture during the cooking and that prevents a good crust all over. I actually spatchcock the bird half the time just because I think the leg/thigh come out crispier that way and I don't care about the breast as much.

Never tried it but to be honest that looks like a recipe for overcooked breast or undercooked thighs. I'm all about that dark meat.

We're the opposite so I can vouch for the legs/thighs.
It's become pretty popular so I'm guessing it cooks evenly though.

You ever try the Jamie Oliver one I posted earlier? Sounds weird but so freaking good.

That bundt cake chicken is a legit great idea. :yes:

I made gumbo the other night but haven't uploaded any pics yet so I'll continue to post pics from the old thread. :D

This is me being lazy on shish kabob and just throwing the ribeye and veggies on the grill :LOL:

KVsRTog.jpg

With my favorite - Andria's Steak Sauce.

i'm a professional chef, and have been since 2008. whatcha wanna see? i've done it all. i run a breakfast and lunch place rn... me, the owner, one waitress... thats it. covid fucked up our industry big time. people go from culinary school graduation right into oblivion or unemployment these days i guess. wtf happend to all the cooks? 90% of them sucked anyway, but even the talented ones are few and far between. i'll glady say, that my cooking chops are now years beyond my guitar chops, and years beyond YOUR cooking chops :).

i'm a professional chef, and have been since 2008. whatcha wanna see? i've done it all. i run a breakfast and lunch place rn... me, the owner, one waitress... thats it. covid fucked up our industry big time. people go from culinary school graduation right into oblivion or unemployment these days i guess. wtf happend to all the cooks? 90% of them sucked anyway, but even the talented ones are few and far between. i'll glady say, that my cooking chops are now years beyond my guitar chops, and years beyond YOUR cooking chops :).
I cooked for about 15 years but I always say I'm a good cook NOT a chef. I can execute a recipe well and serve a lot of people but chef is a whole nuther level.

I'm making my own version of that Boeuf Bourguignon above right now, just threw it in the oven. It's for tomorrow...better the next day.

Where to get demi-glace? My store doesn't have it...not even the mix.

it's 1 lb Shrimp, bag of spinach, garlic, 3 tablespoon butter , cayenne pepper , 4 oz parmigiana cheese and lots of tomato. Im not a chef, but I figured out more tomatoes = more sauce.

Add a little heavy cream and ya got Butter Tuscan Shrimp. Saw this made on TV once and thought yours looked familiar.

I've been a cook foreman with the F.B.O.P. for over 22 years with some cook experience on the street. Been controlling the worst of the worst and making them produce for ever. Almost 5000 meals produced daily 7 days a week. Your a man for choosing your job. If your under 37 and looking for a change lemme know.

Back