What's everyone using for 'In-Room' recordings?

• Thread starter Thread starter 311splawndude
  • Start date Start date
311splawndude
311splawndude
Hey there...

What are you using for your In-Room recordings particularly with video?

I don't want to synch an audio and video file.
My android phone (Blackberry KeyOne) sucks at recording high gain amps.
Not buying an apple phone.

I've seen some great videos from some of you using just your Apple phone. I'm not buying an Apple phone but let me know if you are plugging in an external mic. So far, I've been doing the SM57+Line 6 UX1 but it is not convenient. I'm looking for something more for on the fly recording of riff ideas. I come up with stuff that I like but then the next day I can't remember what it was.

Looking at the Zoom Q2N 4K at the moment. $219. One audio and video file and not much bigger than a GoPro. https://www.guitarcenter.com/Zoom/Q2n-4 ... m&index=49

Help

Funny that you mention a cell phone. I have been using androids for awhile for simple clips. you set it on top of the amp and then the cabinet doesn't clip it. Very accurate representation of the in room sound. But i also have a Rode K2 that i haven't used yet, and a sm7b that i have just started using. I am about to start making videos for fun. I have reaper and am ok with it. I have shotcut which is a free video editor.

iRig Pre or TC Vocal GO.

Both plug into your headphone jack and allow you to plug an actual mix directly into your phone, and defeats your internal phone mic.

Here's an example of my using the iRig Pre with an sm57

Bad.Seed":2x5mjhvs said:
iRig Pre or TC Vocal GO.

Both plug into your headphone jack and allow you to plug an actual mix directly into your phone, and defeats your internal phone mic.

I liked your clip so I looked into this, made specifically for iphones though so I guess us Android users are out of luck. (unless it just isn't advertised)

Pretty sure bubbastain is using his iRig with an Android. There might be a few different versions of the iRig available? The one I had was supposedly compatible with my Android, but I never found out for sure because the iRig was broken.

311splawndude":1s4rj7ld said:
Hey there...

I've seen some great videos from some of you using just your Apple phone. I'm not buying an Apple phone but let me know if you are plugging in an external mic. So far, I've been doing the SM57+Line 6 UX1 but it is not convenient. I'm looking for something more for on the fly recording of riff ideas. I come up with stuff that I like but then the next day I can't remember what it was.

Looking at the Zoom Q2N 4K at the moment. $219. One audio and video file and not much bigger than a GoPro. https://www.guitarcenter.com/Zoom/Q2n-4 ... m&index=49

Help

I've still got my Zoom Q2HD, but just bought a Zoom Q8. I'm haven't posted any clips of it yet as I'm trying to figure out the best way to use my mics and the built in condensers. For example, I can just use the built in mics or just use my own mics or various combinations thereof. The audio and video is rendered as a MOV file which I then change to MP4 so it is ready for youtube.

I will say that the video quality of the Q8 is much better than the Q2 and it should be, considering the Q2 was $100 and the Q8 was $400.

Kapo_Polenton":3vrmvm7h said:
Bad.Seed":3vrmvm7h said:
iRig Pre or TC Vocal GO.

I liked your clip so I looked into this, made specifically for iphones though so I guess us Android users are out of luck. (unless it just isn't advertised)

"iRig Pre-XLR microphone interface for iOS and Android"
https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/irigpre/

cool looking little rig...

ETA: curious, does this thing suck battery life from phone? the newer generation of IPhones have power and phones/aux jack all in same spot.

Smashedguitarist":2akaaew4 said:
Funny that you mention a cell phone. I have been using androids for awhile for simple clips. you set it on top of the amp and then the cabinet doesn't clip it. Very accurate representation of the in room sound. But i also have a Rode K2 that i haven't used yet, and a sm7b that i have just started using. I am about to start making videos for fun. I have reaper and am ok with it. I have shotcut which is a free video editor.
Thanks.

I never tried that with setting the phone on top of the cab. Interested to see what happens.

I've been looking at the Rode stuff too. You'll still have to synch files though right?

ETA: curious, does this thing suck battery life from phone? the newer generation of IPhones have power and phones/aux jack all in same spot.
No, it uses it's own 9v battery. Says 30 hours without phantom and 10 hours with phantom on. I just ordered one. Why I don't know, it's not like I ever make a damn clip. :doh:

Bad.Seed":6t48tox9 said:
iRig Pre or TC Vocal GO.

Thanks for that. Great audio on that. I didn't hear any mic clipping - and that's the key for me right now. Unfortunately, the iRig PRE is Apple iOS only right now. I do see an iRig UA from IK Multimedia but still not sure. I think that would be more of a direction for me and others who want to use their phone as their primary interface for practice, etc. Also, it looks like my Blackberry/Android would need to handle USB OTG which I doubt it does - that and it is a company phone.

Thanks for your input man.

Per their page it is compatible with Android:
Works With Your Android Devices
iRig PRE is fully compatible with Android devices, so now you can use your high quality studio and stage mics to record fabulous audio on your tablet or phone. And with iRig Recorder FREE for Android you can capture your musical ideas, performances, rehearsals, etc., with pristine audio quality. Simply plug your iRig PRE into your headphone/input jack on your device, launch your favorite recording, vocal or playing app, and hit record. Now you can finally get studio quality audio on your Android device.
For a list of compatible Android devices, click here.

When you click that link for a list it doesn't give you a list (lol) it basically says: "Everything made by Samsung, LG...etc."

Dick Butter Nuts":230e0k6g said:
311splawndude":230e0k6g said:
Hey there...

Help

I've still got my Zoom Q2HD, but just bought a Zoom Q8. I'm haven't posted any clips of it yet as I'm trying to figure out the best way to use my mics and the built in condensers. For example, I can just use the built in mics or just use my own mics or various combinations thereof. The audio and video is rendered as a MOV file which I then change to MP4 so it is ready for youtube.

I will say that the video quality of the Q8 is much better than the Q2 and it should be, considering the Q2 was $100 and the Q8 was $400.

Yeah man. I think I'm heading down the Q2N-4K route.

You posted that in my other similar thread earlier this year. The external mic options for Android just still seem to be so limiting. That and my phone is a company phone that gets replaced every 3 years or so and we are 'technically' not supposed to have 3rd party unapproved non business apps LOL.

Here was that old thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=211824&hilit=Android

So with the Q2N-4K I can use it for other things too, which may be more beneficial to me. It appears to be a bit bigger than a GoPro? GoPro is nice for what it does but clips like a sombitch. For loud guitar that is. The Q8 looks super nice but a bit more than I want to spend. Being able to hook up a SM57 in addition the build in stereo speakers seems like a great feature.

PS: I have $500 in GC gift cards and the Q8 is not available anyway. So I think I'm going to get the Q2N4K, some accessories for it like the lith battery pack, a VHT octal tube tester, a bunch of tubes and some strings and call it day :D

Thanks big time.

If this works for me it probably will make my SM57/UX1 obsolete.

Guitar > ABY > A goes directly to interface (for reamping later), B goes to amp.

Amp goes into a TwoNotes Captor with the line out going into my interface (and then run the Wall of Sound plugin). I then mic my cab with a pair of 57's.

Seems like overkill, but it's really not bad.

Or else I just throw my iPhone in front of my cab with the voice memo app open.

311splawndude":qofu02f5 said:
Dick Butter Nuts":qofu02f5 said:
311splawndude":qofu02f5 said:
Hey there...

Help

Yeah man. I think I'm heading down the Q2N-4K route.

You posted that in my other similar thread earlier this year. The external mic options for Android just still seem to be so limiting. That and my phone is a company phone that gets replaced every 3 years or so and we are 'technically' not supposed to have 3 party unapproved non business apps LOL.

Here was that old thread:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=211824&hilit=Android

So with the Q2N-4K I can use it for other things too, which may be more beneficial to me. It appears to be a bit bigger than a GoPro? GoPro is nice for what it does but clips like a sombitch. For loud guitar that is. The Q8 looks super nice but a bit more than I want to spend. Being able to hook up a SM57 in addition the build in stereo speakers seems like a great feature.

PS: I have $500 in GC gift cards and the Q8 is not available anyway. So I think I'm going to get the Q2N4K, some accessories for it like the lith battery pack, a VHT octal tube tester, a bunch of tubes and some strings and call it day :D

Thanks big time.

If this works for me it probably make my SM57/UX1 obsolete.

I hope the Q2n-4K works out for you. Like you, I would rather not get my Android in the mix anyway. I also don't like the idea of syncing up video and audio in some complicated video editing software. I really like editing my vids with an app that came with Windows 10. I just click on the Photos app and it brings up an option to edit video.

The Q8 has options to do the audio and video separately using WAV files instead of a single MOV file. Maybe that would give me better audio quality? I'm not sure. Like you (again) I want to keep things simple. I'd rather just have everything rendered to one file that I can convert to MP4 for youtube.

Another thing I like about the Q8 is that it has two mic inputs, so I have been experimenting with a Bluebird and a 57. The whole mic thing is another rabbit hole. I wouldn't be surprised if I just end up using the built in mics on the Q8 and return my mic collection to its dusty corner in the basement.

:lol: :LOL:

SpiderWars":32818e3b said:
No, it uses it's own 9v battery. Says 30 hours without phantom and 10 hours with phantom on. I just ordered one. Why I don't know, it's not like I ever make a damn clip. :doh:

so now you have no excuse, right :rock:

MrDowntown":166zv3zg said:
SpiderWars":166zv3zg said:

I think it was Ben Franklin that said; "Better to be thought a ham-fisted hack...than to post a clip and remove all doubt."

SpiderWars":1b1kwye8 said:
MrDowntown":1b1kwye8 said:
SpiderWars":1b1kwye8 said:

I think it was Ben Franklin that said; "Better to be thought a ham-fisted hack...than to post a clip and remove all doubt."

:lol: :LOL: :lol: :LOL:
Yea. Ben Franklin or maybe Patrick Henry. No I think PH said “...give me clips or give me three fingers of good bourbon”. :thumbsup:

311splawndude":18cp6ua6 said:
Bad.Seed":18cp6ua6 said:
iRig Pre or TC Vocal GO.

Thanks for that. Great audio on that. I didn't hear any mic clipping - and that's the key for me right now. Unfortunately, the iRig PRE is Apple iOS only right now. I do see an iRig UA from IK Multimedia but still not sure. I think that would be more of a direction for me and others who want to use their phone as their primary interface for practice, etc. Also, it looks like my Blackberry/Android would need to handle USB OTG which I doubt it does - that and it is a company phone.

Thanks for your input man.

Hey man, like I said, this plugs directly into the headphone jack of any android phone. I used my galaxy s10 to do the video I linked. No video/audio syncing required. The android phone automatically defaults to the iRig for audio when recording videos

Dick Butter Nuts":2cxlmn4l said:
311splawndude":2cxlmn4l said:
Hey there...

Help

Thx for sharing that info! I have a Q2N as well but would like to upgrade that to the Q8. Nice to hear that things are much better with the Q8.

Back