What's the best non-floating/floyd tremolo bridge these days?

VH4_BigRig

Hey guys, when I use a tremolo I do it more in the David Gilmour sense, rather than the EVH or Vai crazy squeals and dive bomb sense. I don't have a guitar with one right now, but might get one next year. What are some of the better non floating trems these days? Any guitar I buy now would have locking tuners, just FYI. Thanks! Cheers

I really love my Wilkinson trem on my super strat. Eddie’s original black and white didn’t have an OFR and was akin to the original style fender trem. It’s setup as non floating/down only and I’ve got nothing but good things to say about it - made a huge improvement over stock fender 2 post trems.

I'm a big fan of the Gotoh 510. With locking tuners and a Tusq nut it's super stable.

I recently got a pretty wild looking Warmoth Tele with the Gotoh 510. . I have well over 20 guitars with many kinds of bridges, and I'm pretty shocked how great this one is. . ZERO issues with mine, and glad to hear someone else likes them

Eric

A standard Fender Strat bridge stays in tune just fine as long as you stretch the heck out of each string until all of them come back in tune when using the bar and lube all the contact points. This is a good video here with some tips.

I just put on a Callaham vintage trem on my 73 strat as a replacement for the original. Much better feel and stays in tune much better than the stock trem.

The Gotoh 510 is excellent.

The Callaham is great quality too, that's what I put in my USA strat. Amazing compared to the stock bridge.

I cannot say enough good things about the Wudtone bridge. It’s a traditional 6-screw style, but with beveled recesses above and below each screw and a true ‘knife edge’ at each fulcrum point. I use a graphite nut and Hipshot locking tuners and the guitar is near ‘Floyd’ stable with the added tone and punch of a 6-screw bridge.

I've recently built partscasters with a Fender 6-screw, Callaham 6-screw, and a Mannmade 6-screw. They're all different so not apples to apples but the Mannmade sounds great but has a wimpy 'drop' if you know what I mean. Not Bigsby wimpy but I want that quick drop and "wah-p" action like a Floyd or even a vintage Fender can do. And I'll just say it but the Callahams seem to sound brittle for lack of a better word (I've used them on other builds too). Of these 3 recent builds the Fender actually wins for me. It was some sort of '61 or '62 reissue Fender vintage-style trem.

Oh yeah, my first partscaster from like 20 years ago has the original Wilkinson I put on it. It's a good bridge.

I have a Sassafras body incoming and I'm gonna try a Gotoh 510 but which kind? They have several styles and each one in steel or brass.

the most stable bridges are the ones with locking saddles. The new suhr Peter thorn bridge and the old school Floyd with no fine tuners.

Music Man... whatever is on my Majesty is quite stable with use. A tuning here and there, but overall far superior to a Floyd (which I have on a Hellraiser Hybrid, but also on a few previous guitars).

Gotoh 510 is floating
It floats well but its all about how you set it up. Mine is decked for dive-only.

Attachments

• 20210411_134551.jpg
    20210411_134551.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 100
Back