Whats the best solo of the 80s??

best solo of the 80s??

• Every Rose Has Its Thorn

Votes: 2 6.5%
  • other

Votes: 29 93.5%

• Total voters

Interesting recollection that Justin told in a Euro Guitar mag "Total Guitar"(May 2004) regarding this song:

"The day we recorded the vocal was September 11 2001. We were going to the studio, and just as I was heading out the door I saw a blurb on the bottom of a news broadcast saying two planes had crashed into a building. I just assumed there had been an accident and went to work. When we came out of the studio everyone was saying it was the end of the world! I couldn't believe it."

Interview goes into the gear they used at the time, but it's a lot to type out. To summarise, Justin was using Mesa Dual Rectifiers and Dan was using 100w Superleads, a Marshall Drive Master and also a Tube screamer for his leads. Both guys on Les Paul standards.

Last edited:
I'll name 5 of my faves.....

Victims of the Future-Gary Moore
Till the Livin End-Dokken(Lynch)
Wasted Time-Skids
Send a Message-KingsX(Ty)
Diary of a Madman-Ozz (Randy)

Comfortably Numb missed the 80s by only a month otherwise it would be in the running for me. Another solo that would never get mentioned here is Everybody Wants to Rule the World by Tears for Fears. Its got killer tone too.

And I'll post this here because its a killer solo that gets little attention. Ah Via Musicom came out in the early 90s and before there was a Cliffs of Dover...there was Zap:

Back