What's the Boss SD-1 to get?

Rex Rocker

I'm currently using a Wylde Overdrive. I've actually got two. Different revisions, but they both sound more or less the same, except one has the internal switch to turn it into a GT-OD. The other doesn't. I've actually got a Classic Overdrive as well, LOL. Call me obsessed, I just like them that much.

Anyway, I've tried a few different versions of the Tube Screamer to find I like the TS808 reissue the best and better than the Maxons.

So I wanna go in a journey with the SD-1 and its variations. I wonder what's the right one to get. I've had a couple, but never really A/B'd them. They were both Taiwan thru-hole. I've heard the newest ones are SMD, same as the Waza. I'd get the Waza, but maybe a plain old standard one is good enough?

Also, the black one looks the coolest.

So which one should I try first?

I've compared the 2 versions currently being sold, not the MIJ or the 40th Anniversary.

As an OD in a clean channel, the custom mode on the Waza is a bit thicker and I liked it more than the normal mode or the standard SD-1 that sounded pretty much identical. As a boost, standard SD-1/Waza normal mode were the same, but on the contrary the custom mode didn't work that well, with too much bass.

Using it only as a boost and being able to get it for almost nothing, I went for the standard SD-1 over the Waza.

1684848986316.png

Dead on Clone but with upgraded components...... true bypass

Good friend of mine creates fonts and logos for a living so it's always interested me.

At first glance it reminded me of this - which is a lot more open though.
That 'slash' look to the letters is cool.

maxresdefault.jpg
I ran into it a long time ago looking for Fonts for my Logo ... I might have manipulated a few of the letters to my liking

Pick one…they all sound the same. MIJ run on 12v so can be tricky finding a power supply.
I have three, 2 MIJ that are modded to not lose bass. One new one to be able to use with my 9volt power supply. They all do the job.

I had years ago a Franklin Modded SD-1. Bought it off ebay. I don't see him doing the mods anymore. I probably shoulda kept it, cuz it did sound killer into my 5150. I've been thinking about a sd-1 lately....I just run the precision drive. I believe the tonefreak abunai 2(which i had for years) has symmetrical and asymmetrical clipping options...kinda choose between the sd-1 sound and the 808 sound via toggle.

I have 5 of them and they all sound slightly different. The black anniversary is my favorite. I know it’s the same components apparently, but is has noticeably less low end cut and sounds more hi-fi. I like the Waza as well (NOT custom mode), but it has a hint of that TS honk/squish. I prefer the standard non-Waza’s as a pure boost.

Back