What's Your Favorite Engl?

MistaGuitah

I've been longing for an Engl Invader II. I had an Invader 100 and really regretted selling it. However, everything is so expensive now, I don't know if I can afford it. What do you guys think of the Ironball, Artist, Savage, etc.? Which is your favorite and why?

The Savage SE that I own. Right now, however, he is fighting for first place with Artist 100.

Savage is the only I’ve owned and liked, also had a Fireball and Invader which were clunkers, kinda made me write off Engl, although the artist seems cool.

Savage mk 2 . I’ll be buying one at some point for the herd . I love the metal tones . My friend runs 2 in stereo for his VH brown sound in rock band . I’ve heard a lot of good times from it that’s not just metal

also had a Fireball and Invader which were clunkers, kinda made me write off Engl
What didn't you like about the Invader? Too smooth/polished maybe?
That's probably my only gripe, next to the fact that CH4 is too thick and saturated.

I luv my Savage 60 tho'.

I have an Invader 2 with wizard module and an Ironball. I like the Invader 2 more than the savage that I played in Amsterdam. The cleans are way better on the invader imo. Both cleans, channel one and channel two sound better. Channel three is heavy( can be dialed back with the wizard) but less compressed and more mids than channel 4. Channel 4 is scooped but really good to me. Both three and four are equally good just different.
The ironball on lead channel sounds a lot like channel three on the invader2. The cleans are good as well. Anything specific you want to know?

Last edited:
I find Engl’s too artificial sounding for my taste and often times too compressed, but my 2 favorites were the Inferno & SE EL34 and the Artist Edition was my next favorite after those 2. Those were imo the most growly and aggressive sounding Engl’s. The Artist was more Marshall-y with great upper mid grind. The Inferno had more of a throaty low mid growl and the best lead tone of all the Engl’s. The SE also had really good growl and a lot of low end punch, especially in the more sub low region. I ultimately though just had other amps that sent all the Engl’s I had in the past packing fwiw

Savage because it's very brutal but won't get lost in the mix. If it's too expensive, check out the Synergy stuff.

Back