Where are all the Goldfingers?

peckhart

Not much content on Goldfinger amps in this sub-forum.

I have a Goldfinger SL on the way. I have owned a Helios 100, 20th Shiva, 20th XTC w/EL34, and also borrowed for a short time a 101b and a Helios Eclipse. I like the Bogner stuff a lot and was feeling the itch, but with some different tone preferences these days wanted something a bit different. The GF and specifically the Super Lead version seemed to fit the bill. Hoping its a winner for me.

Not a ton of videos out there on it and nothing that really reviews the amp and its features overall. I'm not set up to make and edit quality videos, but maybe I'll try to get something decent together after I have a chance to get acquainted with it.

I'm new here but these sub-forums seem pretty quiet. Yes please make some demos, it can be a great resource for other interested parties, like myself! Hope you enjoy the amp, please report back :rock:

People keep them! They also don’t have as many of those in circulation as many other models. Goldfingers are super awesome.

I haven't ever played a SL but the GF45 is awesome! One of the best, if not the best clean channels I know. The driven channels are super versatile and cover everything from vintage to VH territory. I guess there is little talk here, as the GF (at least the 45) has more a vintage vibe, not so much a metal machine imho. Let us know about the SL. It could be a bit tighter, I guess. Curious about your experience...

Just bought a GF45, should be here next week. I'll report back once I get it in and a fresh set of tubes...

Got the GF SL yesterday. Pretty cool guitar system as Reinhold would call it.
Very nice clean channel for sure. I really like how the boost on the clean adds some chime and the slightest hint of grit. Really makes it more touch sensitive and dynamic.
The Gain EQ is a very interesting and powerful control. Pretty awesome to be able to tailor the feel with that. There is a lot to explore on that channel. I kind of feel initially like there are hints of the Shiva and hints of the Helios in there depending on the mode, fat switch, Gain EQ settings. I think I like it best with the boost on even if the main gain is dialed back. Seems to bring in some complexity and chime where w/out it it feels more dry.
Peg the Gain EQ full clockwise and crank up the gain for some sludgy grunge. Very versatile.

GF45 came last night, new tubes install and all pots cleaned, which is a pain in the arse by the way, so far really digging it. Fat, clear chords and gain, clean channel is almost perfect and there are lots of options there tone and gain wise. Not totally sold on the boost as it adds a good bit of low end, may end up with a Klon Clone in that pre loop for a different flavor. Spring Reverb is nice to have but will probably use a pedal for a different flavor..

Guys do these amps have the smoothed off top end of some of the other Bogners, or more ragged Marshall vibes?

I would say so BUT you can get it back by pushing the presence knob up there. Definitely does not have that blanket over the speakers sound of a Ecstasy..More just that vintage JTM45 kinda top end...

Regarding top end....Goldfinger SL can go either way - that's what the Gain EQ knob is all about. Keep it low for more in your face raw tones, dial is up to get thicker and smoother. Awesome amps

Guys do these amps have the smoothed off top end of some of the other Bogners, or more ragged Marshall vibes?
I would say somewhere in the middle. IMO the Helios or Telos are more worthwhile and I think by far the 2 best sounding amps they make right now and would be more raw and Marshall-y. I prefer the more organic and nuanced tone of those 2 amps. Maybe the ptp wiring in them vs other Bogners is part of the equation of why they sound a lot better to me, but who knows

I AB’ed the Goldfinger with an XTC Classic and liked the Classic more mostly because it sounded a lot thicker/bigger and juicier and could be similar in bite (just a bit smoother), but I’d still for my taste choose something more Marshall-y over it

Just tweaked the bias and replaced the JJ long plate in V2 with a Chinese, plenty of top end and the bass tightened up considerably..

I would say somewhere in the middle. IMO the Helios or Telos are more worthwhile and I think by far the 2 best sounding amps they make right now and would be more raw and Marshall-y. I prefer the more organic and nuanced tone of those 2 amps. Maybe the ptp wiring in them vs other Bogners is part of the equation of why they sound a lot better to me, but who knows

I AB’ed the Goldfinger with an XTC Classic and liked the Classic more mostly because it sounded a lot thicker/bigger and juicier and could be similar in bite (just a bit smoother), but I’d still for my taste choose something more Marshall-y over it

Something for everyone. See I felt like the Goldfinger SL I had was considerably better for me than the Helios. Like no contest I'd pick the SL every time regardless of price.

I do wish they'd make a 4xEL34 version of the GF SL. What an amp that would be.

Ordered all new preamp tubes as it seems a little to muddy sounding, also FX loop has a hum when engaged..otherwise still enjoying this amp...

Ooh, it’s better than I thought it would be
Congrats, would mind checking something? Do you get any extra hum or noise just turning on the FX loop with nothing connected? I am noticing an underlying hum when its on and tube replacement did not make any difference....

Back