Where do you set input and output volume on WOS III?

walkontx

So i have been using the WOS III plugin for quite some time now.

My default way of using it is keeping the input and output at 0 db. And then adjusting the level of the track in logic (my daw) itself.

I always notice when looking at the plugin, I'm always in the red in output and input. But it never sounds like I'm clipping...and when I recorded on my interface itself there was definitely no clipping! Also keep in mind I'm always using channel A and B together (usually a 57 with a 121)

So basically 2 questions:

1. Basically how important is it to keep the input and output in the greens/ yellow on the plugin itself?

2. How do you guys treat this plugin when getting sounds dialed in? Do you have a certain amount of db you like to keep it at or is 0 db the same default you use as well and adjust the track in the DAW?

Wondering how much of an effect this actually has on the sound and if it's possibly something I've been missing this whole time. Thanks for reading!!

Hi walkontx,

the most important setting is the input, because the amount of distortion you will get from the power amp and the overload parameter are linked to your input volume.

There is no perfect value, staying in the green-yellow area is always preferable, the more you push the input the more you will get the power amp to distort. There is a lot fo headroom so you can push the input pretty far just to try it, you won't break anything. ;)

On the output, well, just avoid digital distortion and you're good. ;)

To be clear, I'm using my real amps...I'm not using the power amp emulations in the plugin. Can you tell me how this effects things?

If you don't use the power amp sim, only the overload parameter will be affected by the input level. The more you push it the harder the virtual cabinet will be pushed.

I don't use the overload feature. So just to be clear, because I am only going in with my real amps, moving the input and output knob will have no effect on the overall clipping, distortion or sound quality...correct? Just trying to understand.

If you don't use any distortion-based processor (power amp, overload or exciter) or the compressor, the input level has no real effect on an overall processing that is linear.

In an analog device the input settings affects the signal to noise ratio but not in a digital software processing.

And output has absolutely no influence, it's just to help you adjust all the channels at the same time and the output on each channel is there to balance the various channel levels.

Back