where to buy extremely shallow depth rack enclosure?

mysteryroach

Sorry in advance if this isn't the right place to ask this question. If it's not, please let me know where else I should go to inquire about this.

TL;DR: Is there anywhere I can get an extremely shallow depth (70mm max), or custom depth, rackmountable (19-inch) enclosure? Option of predrilled holes of my choosing for various connectors (D25, TRS 1/4 inch, and possibly DIN5) would be a bonus.

Longer version with context:

I'm brainstorming options for eventually wiring up a 16u effects rack in the future, on top of which will be an (already wired up) pedalboard - both of which will be controlled via midi + loop switchers.

The rack will have a main front panel for various inputs and outputs (for routing pedalboard/rack inputs/outputs, routing pedalboard to/from rack noise gate, midi, expression), a power conditioner, a noise gate, a matrix loop switcher (the new Switchblade, whenever that comes out), and 6 sliding rack shelves for effects gear. (mainly pedals)

I have recently started considering the issue of how I will do the wiring to the various effects shelves (mainly the patch cables going between the Switchblade and the effects on the sliding shelves) such that it won't interfere with the ability for the shelves to slide. After looking at some of the work that Nice Rack Canada do, something like what is seen in the images below seems to be the standard solution. (run the bundle of cables up the side, then optionally along a support rail, have fixed anchor points on the back of rack and back of shelf, with enough slack to allow the cable bundle to fully extend when the shelf is pulled out)

However, I have noticed in some cases they connect to an on-shelf patch box. Like this:

Unfortunately, I don’t think I’ll have enough space on the shelves to facilitate this, as power supplies + midiboxes already take up a lot of the extra space on my shelf not filled up with effects gear. This option intrigued me though, as it occurred to me that any rearrangements made to the effects shelf would mean that only the cables between the patchbox and the board effects would need to be changed. This would mean the cables could be much more easily measured, could be much more easily placed, and cables would be a more consistent size (vs cables going down various tiers of the rack to the Switchblade) as equipment it runs between will be on the same level and thus would increase the likelihood I could just reuse cables already on hand, rather than make new ones. It just means that any adjustments made in the future would be less of a PITA, and less time-consuming + expensive.

Anyway, there is 2U between each sliding shelf in my rack. The shelf itself uses 1U, and thus has a 1U empty slot above it. I can’t exactly place anything above the shelf, because the height of contents go above 1U. However, there’s roughly 70mm of empty space behind the shelf which something could theoretically go.

It occurred to me that I could use this space to have a similar patch box, rackmounted in the empty space above the shelf. My idea was for it to take 2 DB25 cables (1 for inputs and 1 for outputs), which at the Switchblade end would break out into 8 TRS. (wouldn’t necessarily need to use them all, however, and in most cases wouldn’t) Inside the enclosure, each of these DB25 connections would be routed to their 8 corresponding TRS inputs/outputs, which would then go to the corresponding pedal tray via a cable bundle. The use of DB25 is mainly to reduce the amount of connections. (to reduce space requirements on the panel, and also because cables will need to be plugged/unplugged if the rack is ever transported, to fit the back lid) However, it also occurred to me that these panels could double as a DSub stagebox in a pinch, if I ever needed one, either for a home studio or for live usage. And could also be used with an CB Electronics X-Patch 32, if I decide to go that route instead of a Switchblade, and likewise could be used other audio equipment that uses DB25 I/O.

This all probably sounds like a major headache in the making, but it would mean that every individual effects shelf would have its own panel for anything that it needs. (up to 8 effects already routed down to the switcher, MIDI via DIN5, and possibly more TRS ports for expression/CV or possibly MIDI via TRS instead - depending on how much can fit on the panel/in the enclosure) It might be incredibly handy vs having everything be hard-wired.

Anyway, I have scoured the internet trying to find an empty rackmountable enclosure that is small enough. This is the closest thing I could find was this:

https://www.digikey.co.nz/en/products/detail/bud-industries/CH-14400/428955
However, this is just over 100mm in depth - thus slightly too large - and (perhaps less importantly) is an open box. In general, most “shallow depth” enclosures seem to be even larger than this, usually much larger. Does anybody know where I could get a closed 19-inch rackmount enclosure, that is 70mm or less in depth? I’m aware I could just get a basic panel (rather than an enclosure), and have all the wiring behind it be open, but that seems... dicey. It’s just something I would like to avoid.

It’s possible/probable I’m overcomplicating things and/or flying to close to the sun by considering using an I/O panel. (vs just wiring stuff directly from the switcher along the sides of the rack) However doing it this way would offer some advantages. But at the moment it’s looking like I won’t be able to find an appropriately sized enclosure.

Just wondering if there’s options out there for getting an enclosure of the size that I want – options that I may not have come across. If there’s not, and it’s simply not possible to get an enclosure this size (atm it certainly seems like it's below the lower limit of enclosure depths available), I can rule out this method as a wiring option and resign myself to doing a more standard build. I may still rule it out simply because it may be too much work + be overcomplicated. But would like to at least know if it's possible first. (i.e. if it's possible to get a small-enough enclosure in the first place)

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
Back